Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Re: Questions about the Global Shipping Program

@corbett4850 wrote:

Care to tell me why I just paid 6$ American for "import taxes?" on a 20$ item? It's ultimately my fault for not looking closer. Still, answer my question. Rest assured, I'll never purchase an item again that is being shipped by your con-partner. It's a Sleazy rip-off.

A US$20 item would convert to about C$29 at current exchange rates, so it would be above the tax/duty-free limit for personal imports sent by mail, courier, etc.

Since you're in BC, you'd be charged US$1.00 for GST, with the rest being charges related to processing the item for customs purposes.

More info can be found in the GSP's buyer terms and conditions page linked on the listing page:

http://pages.ebay.ca/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

Message 2341 of 3,104
latest reply

Hello 'corbett4850', 

<<Care to tell me why I just paid 6$ American for "import taxes?" on a 20$ item?>>

Okay, sure. Smiley Very Happy   You bought an American item which will naturally be listed in US dollars.  Hence, any

charges associated with it will also appear in US dollars.  Right now, in international terms the Canadian dollar value

is very low.  See for yourself:

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/currencies/converter/#from=USD;to=CAD;amt=1 

At this moment here, you will need nearly $1.42 for every US dollar.  Added to this bit of injury is our government

wanting a pinch of anything over $20 Canadian that we spend.  This tells you about that:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

See where it says, "if someone mails you an item . . . worth more than CAN$20, you must pay the applicable duty,

the GST or HST, and any PST on the item’s full value."

That's the law.  

However, for items sent through the regular mail system  the process of collecting the piddly amount on a $20 item

costs more than it makes, so quite often items valued even up to $100 are not assessed.  If you usually buy low priced

items which are not GSP items, this is why you have thus far not been charged.  

The GSP charges on all values over 20 Cdn because they are required to by law.  They cannot pick & choose.

<<I'll never purchase an item again that is being shipped by your con-partner. It's a Sleazy rip-off.>>

Hmmm, careful.  Some folks around here don't like people calling a rip-off a rip-off instead of an "increased

purchasing opportunity". Smiley LOL

Message 2342 of 3,104
latest reply

That was about a dollar tax and five dollars fee for brokerage.

Obviously the brokerage charge is disproportionate on such a cheap item but that is the seller's fault for improper use of the GSP.

This is a user forum, we do not have any kind of partner, let alone a con-partner.

Message 2343 of 3,104
latest reply

"Care to tell me why I just paid 6$ American for "import taxes?" on a 20$ item?"

On a US$20 (Cdn$ 28) item, GST/HST would be Cdn$ 1,40 to $4.00 depending on your province.  If coming by mail Canada Post would have charged you an additional $9.95 (that's right: $9.95) brokerage fee.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Those are the rules established by the Canadian federal government.  You want to fight them: go to Ottawa.  Good Luck.

While Canada Post charges an automatic $9.95 if taxes are levied, Pitney-Bowes only charges US$4/5.

Message 2344 of 3,104
latest reply

kangkine7
Community Member
The thing is the call centre is in a developing nation. No Canadian or American is doing these call centre jobs, they are shipped over seas.
Message 2345 of 3,104
latest reply

How long does it take GPS to ship items once they've received the package?
I have ordered a package and it showed that they received it and it has been a few days and no update on if they have processed and sent out my package

Message 2346 of 3,104
latest reply

@spyrogirlecho wrote:

How long does it take GPS to ship items once they've received the package?
I have ordered a package and it showed that they received it and it has been a few days and no update on if they have processed and sent out my package

It could well be on its way now.  The online-viewable component of the GSP's tracking system is a bit dicey after the item reaches the Global Shipping Center.

At this point, keep an eye on the calendar and start contemplating your options if your item hasn't reached you within three weeks after the day of purchase.

Message 2347 of 3,104
latest reply

First experience with the GSP.  

Its not cool you guys..you have to make the total purchase price available before the purchase is made.  

It took weeks to arrive in a battered crushed box. It was a lap top..I sent it back..because it didnt work. Im sure it got damaged traveling around the continent during the GSP thing. 

Why "fix something that isnt broken"..I was totally happy with Ebay before.

I sent it back.. for $35 Can. it has $200 insurance and its only going to take 4-5 business days to arrive back to seller. Im good with Canada Post, US postal service, FED EX and UPS...

Did'nt Ebay already have a return policy..before the introduction of the GSP?

Im thankful it went through the GSP for the sole reason that the item needed to be returned (although Im of the mind it got the damage because it went through GSP)..but again..didnt Ebay already have a great return policy?

Message 2348 of 3,104
latest reply

@nick.camaro wrote:

Im thankful it went through the GSP for the sole reason that the item needed to be returned (although Im of the mind it got the damage because it went through GSP)..but again..didnt Ebay already have a great return policy?

Who instructed you to return the item?  According to the GSP's terms and conditions page for buyers, a GSP item is no longer the seller's responsibility once it reaches the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky.  Damage en route from Kentucky is Pitney Bowes' responsibility and a damage claim should be made to them through either eBay or PayPal.

Other posts have suggested that if an item is damaged while in transit from the Global Shipping Center (often due to poor repacking), Pitney Bowes will not require that the item be returned.  (What good is a damaged item to them, anyway?)  Were you told something differently, or did you go through the seller on this?

Message 2349 of 3,104
latest reply

When the seller gets it back they will not refund all you paid, they cannot refund the part that went ot Pitney Bowes for carriage and taxes, and you will not get that back.

As stated, correct procedure is to claim damage in transit, full refund, no return needed.

Message 2350 of 3,104
latest reply

Can anyone explain why a $8.00 (BIN) soldering iron tip from a seller in California costs $25.19 (100% shipping no duty) via the GSP? Yesterday I won a used soldering iron station plus two soldering irons ($61) from a seller in Colorado and it cost me $9.58 to ship plus $7.24 duty.

Doesn't that seem like an odd discrepancy? 

Message 2351 of 3,104
latest reply

@xenotime wrote:

Can anyone explain why a $8.00 (BIN) soldering iron tip from a seller in California costs $25.19 (100% shipping no duty) via the GSP? Yesterday I won a used soldering iron station plus two soldering irons ($61) from a seller in Colorado and it cost me $9.58 to ship plus $7.24 duty.

Doesn't that seem like an odd discrepancy? 

First things, first.  The GSP "import charges" are a combination of various processing and clearance charges that Pitney Bowes levies plus the taxes (GST/HST/PST, etc.) and duty (if applicable) that Pitney Bowes pays on your behalf.

When an item's selling price is below C$20, those "import charges" get folded into the shipping cost because some (if not many) Canadians are accustomed to Canada Border Services not assessing taxes and duty on postal imports with comparable declared values.  However, PB still charges processing and clearance fees even on those modestly valued items.  Those fees just get shifted onto the shipping price, that's all.

So that's one thing boosting the shipping price of the tip.

The other thing that's likely wonked out the shipping price of the tip is the seller's own shipping charge for getting the item to the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky.  Remember that a GSP shipping charge is made up of two parts:  the seller's charge for shipping the item to Kentucky, and the GSP's charge for getting the item from Kentucky to you.

Go back to the listing pages for the sales in question and change the shipping location to USA ZIP code 41025.  (That's where the Global Shipping Center is located.)  I'm betting that the seller of the station and irons offered "free" shipping to Kentucky, but the seller of the tip is charging for it.

Message 2352 of 3,104
latest reply

If the seller of an item (GSP) does not include the weight and size in item specifics as they would for calculated postage, the GSP selects a default shipping charge of the average for the category, so it may well be charging the same for a much heavier soldering station as for a lightweight tip.

It is the seller's fault for not including the details, but sellers are never told to do this. It is ebay's fault for not making the field compulsory.

Message 2353 of 3,104
latest reply

sewwb
Community Member

What shipping service is used to send the parcel from the Global Shipping Center to me (Canada)?

The sender sent it to the Gloabal Shipping Center with Priority 2 days but what is used by eBay to send it to me? My tracking said was shipped today but I don't know when I should expect to get it. 

Message 2354 of 3,104
latest reply

The Global Shipping Centre is in Kentucky.

Once there the seller's responsibility for shipping ends.

The GSP puts your parcel on a truck to Canada. (Other parcels are headed overseas, since this is an international program).

Once in Canada, all those parcels are resorted for their final destination.

Yes, this takes time, but since the truckload has already cleared customs, and since USPS uses much the same sort of "Hub and Spoke" shipping system, there is no great slowdown.

Most parcels then go to Canada Post.

If you are not in a major centre, almost certainly it will be the PO.

Some bulky items are passed to CanPar (most mentioned by posters here) but we've seen FedEx mentioned occasionally. This would be in urban areas since more isolated locations are not serviced by couriers.

Message 2355 of 3,104
latest reply

While Canada Post charges an automatic $9.95 if taxes are levied, Pitney-Bowes only charges US$4/5.

The reality however is that for most collectable sized items, even if the declared value is well over $20,  Canada Post charges an automatic $0...at least that's been my experience for the last 15 years...Man Wink

Message 2356 of 3,104
latest reply

@towertreasuretrove wrote:

The reality however is that for most collectable sized items, even if the declared value is well over $20,  Canada Post charges an automatic $0...at least that's been my experience for the last 15 years...Man Wink

The other reality is that PB tacks on its $4/$5 service charge even on items that are under the measly $20 tax threshold.

Message 2357 of 3,104
latest reply

"PB tacks on its $4/$5 service charge even on items that are under the measly $20 tax threshold"

I think everyone agrees more transparency by eBay as far as service charge by PB is concerned would be helpful.

However, we should take into account that the service charges by Pitney Bowes and Canada Post are totally different and reflect different services

1) Pitney Bowes charges a fee of about $5 to handle a shipment.  In all instances (except for a few non-taxable items) PB must pay GST/HST at time of clearing Canada Customs.

2) Canada Post charges $9.95 to handle the collection and remittance of taxes (and duty if applicable) when taxes are levied by Canada Customs.

Two different charges that cannot really be compared.

Message 2358 of 3,104
latest reply

I have two international buyers trying to purchase this item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMURAI-denim-710-BKH-SIZE-34-black-hawk-selvage-self-edge-real-mccoys-oni-e...

One is in France the other is in Turkey

and both say that they cannot purchase it. I have global shipping turned on, and I have no blocked countries in my seller preferences. Is there any other reason this would not work? I have used GSP in the past with no problem, but haven't sold anything on eBay in almost a year. Has something changed?

Message 2359 of 3,104
latest reply

The Global Shipping Program is only available to US and UK sellers.

It is a freight forwarding service that demands pre-payment of duty and sales taxes from buyers before the sale is processed and the purchase shipped.

I think your question should be moved to the Sellers' Board.

Have you also checked the exact (METRIC!) dimensions of your package against the applicable dimensions for the service you have chosen?

Canada Post went metric in 1974 and everything else is guesswork. And rates change on a millimetre or gram, so precision can save you money.

Message 2360 of 3,104
latest reply