Stateside Surcharge coming

Saw in some news that Canada will be implementing a surcharge on any shopper who returns from the US over the personal exemption. I don't travel much so I guess they used to be lax on the enforcement. I suspect this move will result in more scrutiny and enforcing duty and taxes applied to any US postal shipment over $20.00. For the longest time they have sort of ignored collecting the taxes and duty for personal shipments. All tied to the trade retaliation I suppose.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

@bpl521_sell wrote:

Saw in some news that Canada will be implementing a surcharge on any shopper who returns from the US over the personal exemption. I don't travel much so I guess they used to be lax on the enforcement. I suspect this move will result in more scrutiny and enforcing duty and taxes applied to any US postal shipment over $20.00 ...

Probably no change in enforcement. Just adding the Canadian restrictions in response to Trump's aluminum/steel trade penalties. By mail is $20 duty free, out of country over 48 hours in person is $800 duty free.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/declare-eng.html

The list: https://www.fin.gc.ca/access/tt-it/cacsap-cmpcaa-1-eng.asp

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

I agree that the news story reads like a new surtax but if CRA was now suddenly charging an extra *new* tax on items imported from USA over the de minimus, I don’t think one lone guy at the Surrey Chamber of commerce would be breaking that news. It would be mentioned in other news, and announced by the federal government. It’s more likely the person or reporter misunderstood some aspect of personal exemptions in light of the discussion over a trade war.

Also, in my personal experience, CRA has not ever been lax at collecting sales taxes due on items over the personal exemption. I don’t, however, travel to the USA anymore.
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

I go over the border once every two months to buy a few things and for a drive and lunch (through Surrey border crossings).  We usually have about $150 between the 2 of us coming back and declare it all.  For the past 10 years we have never been sent in to pay the duty.  It would be interesting to find out if that has changed.  I remember the last time we were sent in (10+ years) and when we got there and he looked at our receipts from Walmart , Value Village and Goodwill, he said get out of here.  He was really mad that the officer had sent us in. 

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Although my cross-border excursions have now ground to a halt, I’d never take the day to make the trip unless I had real reason to do it and that meant declaring on average $800 CAD in goods. I always paid.
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

If you’re crossing at Surrey, you’ll have to report back if you need to always pay on your next trips.
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

@ypdc_dennisgave the duty free allowance as $800 after 48 hours.

What is it on day trips?

My cross-border shopping trips date back to the 80s when we would take our little girl (now 40) for an adventure and the merrygoround at the Mall near Kingston, which had been custom built for Canadian shoppers.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Personal exemptions (roughly):

Under 24 hours: None

24-48 hours: $200 and purchases/gifts travel with you

2-7days: $800 and goods travel with you

over 7 days: $800 and goods can be shipped separately (if declared when you cross)

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/declare-eng.html

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

The link above does point to a announcement that effective July 01,  2018 a surtax will now apply. I suspect it is for specific goods that are on the tariff list. So as I understand if the goods are on the tariff list and it's over $800.00 depending on length of stay you will probably be hit by the tariff.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

I guess for those people like me who go over the border for the day, it will affect us.  The list under "other" covers some of what we buy.  I have a SIL that lives at the border that goes down every couple of days to get gas, groceries etc.  I'll find out and post back if she has been affected. 

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

For online buyers, the duty-free allowance remains at $20 Cdn (~$16USD).

If you buy from a seller who uses the Global Shipping Program for its Seller Protection, you will pay  duty and SALES TAXES plus a $5 service fee before the seller ships.

If you buy from a seller who ships using USPS you may or may not pay duty and SALES TAXES plus a $9.95 service fee to CanadaPost.

If you buy from a seller who ships using a courier like UPS or FedEx you will pay duty and SALES TAXES plus a $25 or more service fee.

The supposed surcharge has little or nothing to do with mail orders.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@bpl521_sell wrote:

The link above does point to a announcement that effective July 01,  2018 a surtax will now apply. I suspect it is for specific goods that are on the tariff list. So as I understand if the goods are on the tariff list and it's over $800.00 depending on length of stay you will probably be hit by the tariff.

Yes, that is the case, according to the Vancouver Sun:

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/spending-canada-day-long-weekend-across-the-border-here-are-...

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

I am going to Montana to pick up some stuff in the next week or two and will let you know what has changed.

I don't think any of it is on the tariff list but will have to pay GST as I do most times.

It is stuff not available directly in Canada.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Apparently there is a new sheet of information that is being handed out to Canadian travelers going across the border to USA that states "Groceries of US origin ARE NO LONGER DUTY FREE. The new duties imposed are in response to US tariffs imposed on Canadian Steel and Aluminum products.

US MADE GOODS WITH AT LEAST 10% DUTY MOST WITH A COMBINED TOTAL OF 22% DUTY AND TAXES"

yogurt, coffee, chicken and turkey meats, mixed chicken and turkey food products, beef products,maple syrup, candy, chocolate, pizza,quiche,cucumbers, all condiments,all breakfast spreads,sauces,soups,bottled water, whiskies, nail products, hair dye,hygienic products,deodorizing sprays,all soaps and detergents, candles, glues, plastic bags,tableware and kitchenware, toilet brushes,toilet paper, plywood fiber board,paper, tablecloths and napkins,grills, ovens and ranges,refrigerators,gas water heaters,dishwashers,lawn mowers,clothes dryers,mattresses, sleeping bags,pillows and all bedding and much much more....

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

Made my trip south and going into the US was a gridlock. More than an hour.

I asked if the long delays were due to the Tariff changes and was told no, just busy summer traffic, which I personally do not believe. The person in front of me had to open their tailgate and the border control officer went through every box in the back.

I never got anything as far as a paper from customs.

I asked on the US side when I picked up my parcels and they told me they had never seen it so busy as it is now.

Coming back was a breeze, no traffic, declared what I had with receipts, when in and paid. All under 15 minutes.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

It's good to hear you had excellent experience with your cross border shopping. I suspect the experience will vary from border crossing to border crossing. Have passed through many Canada/USA border crossings all across Canada from coast to  coast and many points in between... some border crossings are very good, quick and easy, others much more strict and much more thorough.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

"Saw in some news that Canada will be implementing a surcharge on any shopper who returns from the US over the personal exemption"

News source?

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Here ya go:

"Notice - Surtax

Starting July 1, 2018, certain goods originating from the U.S. are subject to a surtax that will apply to commercial shipments as well as goods being imported by travellers above their personal exemptions. The list of goods is available on the Department of Finance website. For more information, please refer to Customs Notice 18-08, Memorandum D16-1-1 and Frequently Asked Questions."

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pdt-pdt-eng.html

Message 20 of 20
latest reply