UPS to GSP

I have recently reported a wrong item I received!

So, I reach out to the seller and my request for a replacement was handled accordingly and days later I was given a UPS tracking number and that the replacement item is on the way .

Has been eight days past from January 18th since the package was delivered in one of eBay Global Shipping Hub.

I was told that since this is a replacement order  eBay will not provide a tracking number.

I'm guessing that I have to wait for the package to arrive without notice and assuming it could take two to three weeks to arrive, hoping that it arrive!

Has anyone experience such?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

UPS to GSP

marnotom!
Community Member

Are you sure the item reached the eBay Global Shipping Center in Erlanger, Kentucky?

As far as I know, replacement items can't be shipped through the Global Shipping Program system.  They have to be purchases associated with a specific listing.

Could the item have been shipped to a different forwarding agent, perhaps?

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

UPS to GSP

I was told that since this is a replacement order eBay will not provide a tracking number.

By the seller?

Huh.

He got a tracking number from UPS when he "sent a replacement".

You should get a new tracking number from the Global Shipping Program which starts with UPAxxxx xxxx xxx.

EBay also has a new International Shipping Program of some sort which is not well known by us posters (we are members like yourself) but which doesn't seem to be working at all well.

I don't understand why the seller would not use UPS to ship all the way to you.

I am old and cranky.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

UPS to GSP

Based on the UPS tracking it was dropped eBay Global Shipping Center in Erlanger, Kentucky. I even called UPS to confirm. So in my knowledge it's either still sitting there or will be in transit shortly, hopefully! UPS could not give me any more information!

This is the exact response from the seller ""Yes, it has been delivered to the eBay global shipping hub. They will transfer the item to you. We guess it will take up to 2-3 weeks to arrive. There is no tracking information from eBay because it was replacement order. We will add the tracking info to the system but not sure if it will show any update.""

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

UPS to GSP

That sounds good.

The seller is wrong about the tracking, but she has no reason to know what happens after delivery to the GSP plant. Her responsibility for delivery is now over.

You should be getting the GSP tracking number pretty soon.

BTW, while two or three weeks is pessimistic, there has been an outbreak of COVID at the Gateway Terminal in Mississauga which will have an impact on deliveries from the USA since it gets most mail from the States. So be prepared.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

UPS to GSP

I have to agree with others that it doesn’t make sense as the gsp doesn’t handle  replacements. The way that I understand it when an order is sent through the gsp it is associated with an specific order number.  If the seller sent the item with the same ‘order’ number I suppose it’s possible that they would forward it to you but since they haven’t been repaid for shipping or import fees it’s also possible that the item will end up sitting at the center indefinitely.   

For international orders, it’s usually best to open a return request so that you can return the wrong item, get refunded and then reorder if you still want the item.  If you wait for a replacement and that item is also the wrong one, it will likely  be too late to open a claim through eBay.  

When was the original item delivered to you?  You have just 30 days after the delivery date to file a return request so you want to keep an eye on the timeline. 

You said the wrong item was sent right? Was it the sellers fault or are they saying that it was switched at the gsp Center?  

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

UPS to GSP

Her responsibility for delivery is now over.

Not really.    As far as we know the gsp has already delivered the package that they were paid to deliver.  It isn’t their responsibility to deliver a second item so the seller is still responsible for that package.  If it gets stuck there, it’s on the seller, not on the global shipping program.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

UPS to GSP

Yes. The seller's responsibility for delivering the first item was over when the GSP accepted it.

And the GSP delivered it.

The OP wanted a replacement.

It's unclear if the problem was "red sweater purchased/ blue sweater shipped" or "red sweater purchased/ green skirt shipped" or "new sweater purchased / used sweater shipped".

The seller seems cooperative enough that Buyer Remorse doesn't come into it.

The seller's responsibility for shipping the right thing did not end in Erlanger.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

UPS to GSP

After going dead for two weeks with no updates surprisingly the package showed up yesterday just before 7:00PM. The packaging was intact but in a terrible shaped, the supplier did nothing to protect the items other than two pieces of cardboard to separate the pieces from rubbing or touching. The two items in the package measuring approximately 7' x 8" x 2" were very heavy about 68lbs total weight. The items were damaged and bent as you can see!

Ramp1.jpgRamp2.jpgRamp3.jpgRamp4.jpgRamp5.jpgRamp6.jpg

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

UPS to GSP

Yipes.  What carrier handled it within Canada?  If they didn't indicate that they'd received the item in that condition, that would suggest that the damage happened on their watch.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

UPS to GSP

CANPAR
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

UPS to GSP

And now you have a Not As Described dispute on your hands.

If you did not close the Item Not Received Dispute, or if you never opened one,  you can do this through eBay's Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

If you closed a INR, you can't now start a new Dispute through eBay.

You have to go to Paypal.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

Bad news, PP insists that the Buyer pay to return the damaged item to the seller.

Confusion here, because if the GSP were handling the original shipment, they would be refunding and they don't require return.

But somehow the seller sent a replacement to GSP who then sent it to you, which is not supposed to happen.

Try the eBay dispute if available. If it is rejected go to PP.

If that is also rejected, or if you don't want to pay for return shipping (and it's not clear where it would be returned to in any case), go to the credit card you used to back your PP account.

Card policies differ, but you can ask the clerk at the card's 1-800 number about a chargeback.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

UPS to GSP

If you closed a INR, you can't now start a new Dispute through eBay.

You have to go to Paypal.

I'm not 100% certain, but that may not be true.  I think that a return request (not as described)  can be opened if an inr was previously opened.  You can't open the same type of case more than once but I think that you can open a different type.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

UPS to GSP

Worth trying in any case.
If eBay allows it, that's definitely the best.
With such a heavy item, I wonder if PP is going to be helpful, since the buyer is shipping the unwanted thing back, before getting the refund.
Perhaps, and I am spitballing here, a chat with the credit card company asking if they require the card holder to return the purchase on their own dime before the chargeback is authorized? I am not sure what I would do.
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

UPS to GSP

This is definitely a weird situation, but there's also a few things we don't know about it that are affecting our ability to wrap our heads around it.

We know that this item arrived as a replacement for one that was incorrectly shipped or forwarded by the Global Shipping Center.  In the OP's words, the replacement process was handled "accordingly," but we don't know what that looks like.  

I did find a thread on the .com boards where a seller tersely posted that they'd been able to ship a replacement item through the GSP but they didn't provide any details.  I'm going to have to guess that in the case of this situation, this was dealt with outside of the usual SNAD process with support from eBay and/or Pitney Bowes who advised the seller that this replacement would not have a tracking number.

If the buyer didn't have to file a SNAD claim through the MBG for the incorrectly shipped item, the buyer would be able to file a MBG claim for the damaged one.  Whether or not the seller would have to wear this would depend on if the seller is seen as being culpable in the item's damage, I suppose.

The buyer should definitely get in touch with the seller if they haven't done so already, though, just in case the seller has some sort of "in" with Pitney Bowes thanks to the return.

I would try to leave PayPal out of the equation unless events unfold in such a manner to make this impossible.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

UPS to GSP

Yeah, but....

This is a BIG HEAVY thing.

I don't think there are any services- postal or courier- that would not have a tracking number on it.

So why is no one able to supply that number?

If it was re-shipped through the GSP, the OP should be able to find a UPAA number on it somewhere. Perhaps under the 'last mile' shipper's label?

And if it was shipped entirely by UPS, there would be a UPS number on it. Even if CanPar was the last mile delivery.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

UPS to GSP

Anonymous
Not applicable
You really got a short straw with this purchase. Fortunately theres plenty of experienced sellers here that would not have shipped like that. I hope it did not put you off ebay completely. Best practice is to read feedback from a seller you can learn very quickly the differences of abquality seller . if they have none ask questions first to show your concerns and usally they will make a better effort in packing.. Anyways I wanted another member to chime on the following comment because I'm not sure.. would it not been better to refuse the package and put it back on the shipper . Less headache I'm my opinion.
Message 17 of 21
latest reply

UPS to GSP

Refusing is probably not a good strategy.

EBay considers a Refused package as Undeliverable (a reasonable conclusion).

And eBay does not require refunds on Undeliverable shipments.

This is a very confusing case, since GSP normally does not handle replacement shipping. For one thing, GSP is using the original payment to cover duty (over $150Cdn) and sales taxes (over $40Cdn) and there would have been no such payment on the replacement.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

UPS to GSP

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Yeah, but....

This is a BIG HEAVY thing.

I don't think there are any services- postal or courier- that would not have a tracking number on it.

So why is no one able to supply that number?

Just spitballin' here, but I'm thinking that there has to be an eBay item number associated with the shipment for the tracking number to be able to be communicated through the buyer's "my eBay" or email, or whatever other means.  If there's no item number, everything has to be done manually and the buyer would likely have to be informed via "my Messages" .  eBay's chosen not to do that.

@femmefan1946 wrote:

If it was re-shipped through the GSP, the OP should be able to find a UPAA number on it somewhere. Perhaps under the 'last mile' shipper's label?

And if it was shipped entirely by UPS, there would be a UPS number on it. Even if CanPar was the last mile delivery.

Doesn't appear to be much left of either shipping label, judging by the second photo.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

UPS to GSP

So from what I gathered PBI owns GSP? The only time CANPAR was in the picture was after it cleared Customs in Toronto and UPS to the GSP hub in Erlanger. In my opinion PBI/GSP
have the package in their possession, so they should provide the compensation for damaged goods. All in all I'm happy to have received the replacement item, there's nothing a hammer cannot fix. Just emphasizing, for something this heavy, the shipper should take their time and impose adequate packaging is in place to protect the product.

Additionally, with the wrong item I received, since it's pretty much the same weight as the replacement item,,, the seller told me to trash it or do whatever I want with!

This has been a very good topic of discussion and I thank you all for the input.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply