Why am I seeing items that DO NOT ship to Canada on ebay.ca?

So I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem. I live in Canada (Ontario) and I browse eBay CANADA on a daily basis. Now lately I have noticed some sellers specifically from the US, are listing their ads on ebay CANADA however their listings clearly state, "NO SHIPPING TO CANADA, or NO INTL SHIPPING!." Now this bothers me because I am browsing ebay CANADA and i expect every single listing posted on .CA will be available for CANADIANS! Why are these US sellers listing their items on ebay.ca when they do not care to offer shipping to Canada? Are these sellers purposely doing this? There are hundreds/thousands of US eBay sellers that list on DOT COM and the ads they post are not even available on DOT CA, which makes sense, I don't want to waste 5 minutes reading your listing only to realize you don't ship to my country. 

My main issue is, why are these US sellers with NO intentions of shipping internationally, allowed to post their ads on eBay Canada? I have bought and sold on eBay for a while now, and when listing an item, you can specifically state your shipping details. I had one seller in Florida get angry at me for asking if he ships to Canada. he stated "NO INTL SHIPPING AT ALL!!!" which really bothered me as his items should only be listed like the thousands of other US ONLY sellers around. 

Why is eBay allowing Canadians. or any other region specific ebay site (UK, US, CA, etc) to see these items that have no chance of being shipped internationally? I am getting fed up picking through items that turn out to be "US SHIPPING ONLY." 

IF YOUR ITEM SHIPS TO THE US ONLY, POST IT ON DOT COM AND SPECIFY CONTINENTAL SHIPPING ONLY SO CANADIANS DO NOT WASTE THEIR TIME! 

Any thoughts or comments on this would be great. Are any other Canadians noticing this issue as well? If your browsing DOT CA and you have noticed an influx of US ONLY items, let me know. 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Why am I seeing items that DO NOT ship to Canada on ebay.ca?

Your seeing these Ads on eBay.ca because the American Seller didn't exclude Canada from the shipping locations when they listed their item.. 

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Or the seller is unknowingly enrolled in the Global Shipping Program which handles the international portion of their orders' journey. In that respect, that seller can truthfully say 'I don't ship internationally' because the seller ships only to the GSP hub Kentucky and the program handles the rest of it.

Some sellers get mad also at paying the additional fees to paypal for currency conversion to USD and try to avoid international sales for that reason too. 

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Average !Q -Carlin.jpg

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I would really like to know why some sellers listing shows up on ebay canada but then they clearly indicate that they do not ship to canada.

Could it be that the sellers want some cheap international exposure ? I agree with Femme's reply btw.

here's one that I just found while looking for copper rods:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/222122860234?ul_noapp=true

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

In that listing it says that the seller 'may' not ship to Canada so there is the possibility that they will ship here if you ask them. Or it might be that they don't realize that if they just specify where they ship and do not use the option to 'block other countries that they don't ship to' international buyers will see their items.

So in other words, the seller either wants to pick and choose international customers or they just don't know how to  block locations properly. More than likely it is the second option.  I doubt it is just because they want international exposure because if they aren't going to ship elsewhere anyway, what good would international exposure do?

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

I understand your logic but the seller does not ship internationally,only within the UK.if you click on" contact seller" on shipping cost/policy, he/she has 3 related questions answered , this is a copy & paste of one of the 3:
Do you offer international shipping?
This seller doesn't offer international shipping.

He/she may be a total newbie and probably has no idea that somehow their listing has showed up on ebay canada.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@patken123 wrote:

I understand your logic but the seller does not ship internationally,only within the UK.if you click on" contact seller" on shipping cost/policy, he/she has 3 related questions answered , this is a copy & paste of one of the 3:
Do you offer international shipping?
This seller doesn't offer international shipping.

He/she may be a total newbie and probably has no idea that somehow their listing has showed up on ebay canada.

Are you searching and browsing the mobile site using a smartphone?  On the URL you posted, I see an appendage on the URL suggesting that you're not using the eBay app.  You may have stumbled on a quirk of the eBay Canada mobile site as I can't find that listing with a search on my laptop.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I have a suspicion there was something funny going on recently when I had a rash of Buyer Blocks logged Due to Don't Ship to that Country in late June. Perhaps ebay has been tinkering and the unintended result was items being shown to buyers ineligible to purchase them on one platform or another. 

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I was on my desktop at home.
I asked the UK seller if he's are aware that his listing is showing up on ebay canada, didn't get a reply .
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@patken123 wrote:

I was on my desktop at home.
I asked the UK seller if he's are aware that his listing is showing up on ebay canada, didn't get a reply .

Hmm.  That's weird.  What do you think you did to generate that URL, and what browser are you using?

I couldn't find that listing with a keyword search on my laptop, and I'm using Chrome on Windows 7, for what it's worth.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I'm using Chrome also,windows 10, the listing is gone ,maybe after I asked the seller to confirm whether he ships to canada or not,he removed it all together.
.the keyword search I used was "solid metal rods for machining",

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@patken123 wrote:

I'm using Chrome also,windows 10, the listing is gone ,maybe after I asked the seller to confirm whether he ships to canada or not,he removed it all together.
.the keyword search I used was "solid metal rods for machining",

I can still bring up the listing on both my phone and my laptop with the URL you posted.

I'm inclined to conclude that this is yet another one of eBay's infamous glitches at work.  I'm no expert on HTML by any stretch of the imagination, but the query string "noapp=true" on the URL you posted doesn't strike me as something that should normally show up when using an eBay desktop site.  I've never run into it before, at any rate.

Something must have happened that led to this seller's buyer requirements being overridden or ignored by the search engine when you did your search.  It's fixed for now.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I wonder if this is related to that. 

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2017/8/1502724310.html

'eBay Bug Pushes Some Listings Down in Search Results'

American sellers (some) are getting lumped into the Items From International Sellers at the bottom of the page, like item location and buyer location stopped talking to one another in the same language. 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I wonder if this is related to that. 

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2017/8/1502724310.html

'eBay Bug Pushes Some Listings Down in Search Results'

Given how freakishly the eBay websites behave, I'd say anything's possible.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

Seems to be STILL ongoing, and still highly annoying.

I would like to purchase this light, or another one with slightly different shades by the same seller Homesquare:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/142160140026?ViewItem=&item=142160140026

However the seller does not even accept questions, so I can't ask if they left Canada out on purpose, or even ask them if they realize they are appearing on Canadian ebay. 

I mean I could likely go through the rigamarole of searching for a way to contact them other than through the auction, but really, a seller should at least allow contact from potential buyers.  There are a lot of sellers with much more traffic that don't say,

"We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of messages this seller receives, they are unable to respond to your specific question right now. "

That seems to be poor customer relations, is what THAT seems to be.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

I've been emailing US sellers questions about their items as of late and have been finding a good percentage never bother to respond. The other possibility is they think doing the customs documents to ship to Canada is too difficult or time consuming so they just can't be bothered.

-CM
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2016

The problem with zombie threads is that some of the information may be out of date or inaccurate.

@happy_pigeon

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Thanks @reallynicestamps. And just to put an "official" seal on the thread, if you're seeing items that "don't" ship to Canada on eBay.ca, the seller has probably bungled their shipping options in the listing flow. Contacting them is probably the easiest fix, and if they don't respond, well, I guess they don't want to sell their item slight_smile

Message 19 of 19
latest reply