'Low risk' to catching coronavirus from international packages, says WHO and Canada Post

'Low risk' to catching coronavirus from international packages, says WHO and Canada Post

EDMONTON -- Canadians are being reassured the risk of contracting COVID-19 from mail that has travelled for days or weeks is very low.

"Coronaviruses generally do not survive on surfaces after being contaminated. The risk of spread from products shipped over a period of days or weeks at room temperature is very low," the Canadian Public Health Agency says.

Full Story below:

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/low-risk-to-catching-coronavirus-from-international-packages-says-who-an...

Announcement From Canadapost:

Statement on COVID-19

When it comes to items in the mail, we can advise that the PHAC and the World Health Organization (WHO) continue to state that there is a very low risk regarding incoming mail items. We are in constant contact with our international partners and are continuing to safely accept international items.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/our-company/news-and-media/corporate-news/closures-and-service-inte...

USPS Statement on Coronavirus:

Regarding the importation of packages, the CDC states there is likely very low risk that COVID-19 can be spread from products or packaging shipped from China, because of poor survivability of coronaviruses on surfaces.  Also, according to the CDC, there currently is no evidence to support transmission of COVID-19 associated with imported goods; and there have been no reported cases of COVID-19 in the United States associated with imported goods

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/statements/usps-statement-on-coronavirus.htm

-Lotz

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: 'Low risk' to catching coronavirus from international packages, says WHO and Canada Post

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

EDMONTON -- Canadians are being reassured the risk of contracting COVID-19 from mail that has travelled for days or weeks is very low.

"Coronaviruses generally do not survive on surfaces after being contaminated. The risk of spread from products shipped over a period of days or weeks at room temperature is very low," the Canadian Public Health Agency says.

Full Story below:

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/low-risk-to-catching-coronavirus-from-international-packages-says-who-an...

Announcement From Canadapost:

Statement on COVID-19

When it comes to items in the mail, we can advise that the PHAC and the World Health Organization (WHO) continue to state that there is a very low risk regarding incoming mail items. We are in constant contact with our international partners and are continuing to safely accept international items.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/our-company/news-and-media/corporate-news/closures-and-service-inte...

USPS Statement on Coronavirus:

Regarding the importation of packages, the CDC states there is likely very low risk that COVID-19 can be spread from products or packaging shipped from China, because of poor survivability of coronaviruses on surfaces.  Also, according to the CDC, there currently is no evidence to support transmission of COVID-19 associated with imported goods; and there have been no reported cases of COVID-19 in the United States associated with imported goods

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/statements/usps-statement-on-coronavirus.htm

-Lotz

I will still not buy any more items online for the time being. Risk to me is too high. Definitely not from China.

Note that the USPS statement wording. Currently no evidence. Based on what has happened so far with trying to contain the virus and all the efforts to get it under control, I would not take the risk at all.

While I understand that the virus should not survive on a package during transportation, who is to say that the last person handling it did not cough on it when dropping it on my doorstep or putting it in my mailbox.

I ordered groceries online and my wife picked them up today. We put them away wondering how healthy the person picking the items was. They most likely wore gloves but how do I know if they did not cough on the packages.

Too many possibilities of contamination. Not trying to be pessimistic. Just reality that the situation is not containable. Maybe slow it down with all the measures being taken but I think it will spread almost everywhere. One has to hope that one is strong enough to survive the illness.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Re: 'Low risk' to catching coronavirus from international packages, says WHO and Canada Post

Keep in mind though that any droplets of liquid that contain the virus that may be on the box or product will not longer be airborne, and even if this virus were still viable, you would need to touch the area where the virus is and then for that to be ingested or absorbed (Eyes, Nasal Passage or Open Wound).

So once you unpack the items and clean surfaces or store appropriately, you can wash your hands and be much safer.

I'm not saying it's impossible but the odds are extremely low if you take precautions.
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Have you or yours ever contracted a flu or nasty cold that you suspect was originally with the delivery person, Richard? 🤔

Not trying to be snotty (pun intended). I’m just wondering if past experience has led to your very cautious approach.
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I rarely purchase ANYTHING online that ships from outside of North America....in fact, I purchase as much as possible from within Canada...

and I rarely sell anything that needs to be shipped outside of North America, so business as usual and life will go on as usual.

This old one isn't panicking...am taking the necessary precautions but not over doing it ... am a stay calm and carry on type of person...

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Contamination of a parcel with COVID-19 is the beginning of what could happen.... most likely cannot happen

If we have been following the news worldwide  Many things have happened ......

(1) Borders have been closed...  shipping between countries limited or stopped

(2) Travel restrictions within and between countries.... less flights.....  How will  this affect airmail?

(3) Stay at home orders.....  quarantined....  with only one person being allowed  to go shopping for food.... Mail delivery???

(4) Schools closed... Universities closed ..... with limited access .... classes online.....  Who stays at home with the younger children?...  and with no salary! ....  Holiday time maybe....

(5) Getting together in public is limited  and even banned...  in some countries.

----------------------------------

Other realities    -----

People will be less focused to buy anything other than necessities... food and other basics.

Have you visited your local food store?   Toilet paper???  and other shelves ... empty

A local thrift store has closed its bathrooms...

Let us follow the news, our personal realities, and be careful.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I know that I never have, not to concerned about it now either.
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

as said am taking the necessary precautions, but no need to panic...there are some of us who have no need to act irrational and/or stockpile anything. Our household normally keeps sufficient supplies on hand and nothing will be changed about that.

There is No need to add to the already mass madness seen in some areas of North America where it has gone to the point of being ridiculous.

Life does go on...

Stay calm and carry on!

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

And here I was gonna make toilet paper moonshine...... 😉

Toilet Paper Moonshine (NileRed) 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

the_j-mac
Community Member

Quick question - Is there a way to have a banner notification on all listings similar to a seller out on vacation message? Would love to have one notifying anyone looking at my listings that the item and box will be sanitized before sending. Thanks. 

--JMAC

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@the_j-mac 

I know you can bulk add a line to each listing via Sellers Hub. With adding a line there is maybe a 50/50 chance a buyer will read it. As for a banner, that's really not in my wheelhouse but a good question. Passing that off to tyler@ebay  and hopefully he can steer you in the right direction

-Lotz

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Appreciate the response, will do thanks !

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for the tag @lotzofuniquegoodies!

Hi @the_j-mac - you are not able to add a banner-style notation to your listings without a store subscription which gives you access to the Vacation Settings. 

You can add to your listing description in bulk, but it can be pretty complicated. I put the instructions in this thread here.  

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:
Have you or yours ever contracted a flu or nasty cold that you suspect was originally with the delivery person, Richard? 🤔

Not trying to be snotty (pun intended). I’m just wondering if past experience has led to your very cautious approach.

I have worked the past 5 years as part time receiver and shipper in a warehouse and office of a small company (20 employees). 0-10 shipments, packages and mail a day. The times a delivery person arriving is sick is at least once a week or more in the winter. So yes I do believe I have gotten sick from delivery people. LOL, I have been practicing social distancing as much as possible from delivery people for years.

Recently last week Wednesday I was home and received a Canada Post Registered Mail at the door. The Canada Post employee was wearing a face mask and gloves. I had to sign for the item electronically using stylus on electronic device. No protection for me. Washed my hand after leaving package in corner of my work office/den. Opened envelope 5 days later lol to check the contents correct amounts. Discount postage lot. Washed hands again after tucking package in corner of my room. It arrived in 2-3 days as it was shipped on Monday. Hopefully seller is not sick.

Ends my getting some discount postage for now. I was planning on trying to sell some personal items on eBay. But the world has gone upside down now.

PS Yes I know Canada Post now only safe drops packages requiring signatures!

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Thanks tyler@ebay ,
I do have a store subscription and will try that out, thanks again.
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

My concern is less the packages but the safety of courier employees. Dealing with the population in a random sort of way places them at risk of the same sort of any front-line worker. And working behind the scenes, not just at the counters, means they are working with multiple other employees in an enclosed setting.

The cases of CPC closing in NFLD and now North Bay have to do with workplace and community safety. Brooklyn USPS staged a walk-out because someone at their facility tested positive and they were expected to go back to work without, they say, sufficient protections.

The virus can live as an airborne aerosol for up to 3-4 hours, on copper for up to 4 hours, cardboard for 24, and plastic & other metals etc for up to 3 days. (According to the latest CBC news article, google it, it's an interesting read.)

Would this mean if your package has been in transit for over 3 days the contents have already self-quarantined but the exterior of the package has not, as it has been in contact with courier employees?

Our last packages that came in were placed in a new 'quarantine box' in the foyer for 4 days. Due to having fast handling times (under 2 days, way to go CPC!) and recent handling by CPC staff. After the 4 day period they have been opened and enjoyed. This procedure is followed with anything that comes in from outside. At grocery stores, if using the cash, we ask the worker to place the change inside a plastic bag that shall remain in quarantine for 4 days. We hold it open for them, they drop it inside to minimize contact. Any groceries not able to be placed in a quarantine are carefully washed and then placed in a reserved section of our fridge to be used after products that have a nearer expiry date; fruits, veggies etc reserved if they can remain fresh then washed as you are typically encouraged to wash them in the best of times due to pesticides.

We currently have a package to send to NYC and don't feel comfortable because we don't want to place the USPS worker in a precarious position (NYC infection rates are frightening); yet at the same time we want to support their means of employment, as we would our own and most people's in this forum. 😕

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Purolator picked up a package from me yesterday, and the worker just asked that I not hand it to him but put it on the ground. 

He was wearing ordinary gloves, but it was a little cool.

Most places here are asking that we not use cash if at all possible. Our coffee shop owner wipes down the machine when we use it, and washes his hands after handling cash and before making the coffee for takeout.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply