20% fees now this?! Hahaha this is the death of Ebay

Wow i thought the 20% fees was already atrocious. Now i will need to tax my stuff?! Give the info to the CRA?!?!??! I BARELY BREAK EVEN MY ITEMS WERE ALREADY TAXES 3 TIMES!!! When they got imported , sold , then bought by me. Who's gonna refund me Lol!!!! Used items being taxed?!?!?!?!?! Some of these been passed around more than a street worker. Seriously EBAY. You just lost so many people with this good luck.
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: 20% fees now this?! Hahaha this is the death of Ebay

marnotom!
Community Member
You don’t need to tax your stuff. As a marketplace facilitator, eBay will do the calculating, collecting and remitting on your behalf.

As noted elsewhere, Amazon has had a similar system in place for almost a year and it ain’t dead yet. Other marketplace facilitators with a presence in Canada will likely follow suit soon too if they haven’t already done so.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Yup! word's ben goin' around for the past 15+ years that this or that "will be the death of eBay"!

Oh Mercy! perhaps if folks understood what this was about, there'd not be all this "the sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

"eBay Canada Limited (“eBay”) will be required to collect Canadian sales taxes (GST/HST/QST/PST) on applicable sales to Canada-based buyers."

BUYERS pay the sales taxes!

"eBay will be collecting the Canadian sales taxes (GST/HST/QST/ PST) from Canada-based buyers "

"For sellers not registered to collect tax with the CRA and provinces, there is no action necessary. You will begin to see sales taxes charged and collected by eBay on buyer purchases beginning in July."

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

And let's not forget that a similar arrangement has been in place in the United States, a far bigger market than Canada, for some time now.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

This is already the norm in the UK, US, Australia, and a few other countries already...

...no big deal, at all!

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Most sellers who think they are paying 20% for fees turn out to have mistaken shipping fees as their cost and not paid by the buyer.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Yep, I have been a seller for over 15 years but this is it. Ebay is no longer an option for used merch.
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Did you notice that the seller who started this thread four months ago is still selling on eBay and that they sold something just today?
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

and just where on the internet do you think you shall be avoiding this taxaion if you plan to continue to sell?

FB marketplace? Kijiji? locallly? that's about all the choices there will be....

Bye Bye!...

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

20% fees now this?! Hahaha this is the death of Ebay...

September 8th, 2022 - eBay is still alive and well, @lemayhobby and here you are still selling as well.

We should update this thread every couple of months just to see how long before eBay dies.

Gotta love "click bait" titles...

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Just a note.  A family member who also an CRA auditor, told me this. You are allowed  to make up to $5000 a year discretionary income before they will look at you.  RE: selling your personal assets a viable excuse . Also, altough not a written law,  CRA audit accounts with big numbers. As a rule, They not going to put an auditor on you for not claiming or not reporting 10,000 or 15,000 a year income on ebay.  BUT eBay DOES SEND YOUR INCOME NUMBERS TO CRA. Ususallym its cost CRA more to audit you than generally what you will owe with small income numbers. Also if your sales are less than 30k a year. No HST account is required. Another thing to consider as an eBay seller. Remember even if you are grossing 50k to 100k income on eBay selling, there are a lot of things you can write off to reduce any tax owning. Home Office expenses, milage on vehicle, utitilies, percentage of rent or mortgage pertaining to business,  inventory etc etc etc. There may be great benefits to opening up an business and HST account with CRA. getting all that HST credit back is one., Also claiming business expenses and losses on income.  Its not all bad. Get an accountant. Do bookkeeping yourself,. Its worth the effort in spades, Screw CRA with their own game. Its not ALL PROFIT HERE!

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

"20% fees now this?! Hahaha"

How is that funny?

Message 12 of 12
latest reply