April 14 2021 Weekly Session - Managed Payments

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

This week's chat is on the topic of managed payments. We'll be joined by an expert who will be able to address general questions about policy and process. Account specific questions may not be able to be fully addressed. 

Please leave your question as a reply to this thread.  We'll begin replying tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: April 14 2021 Weekly Session - Managed Payments

Should a seller fail to successfully complete their MP account registration and subsequently finds their listing privileges have been suspended;

1. Can active listings still be "ended" when listing privileges are disabled?

2. Are there any circumstances under which a seller could find themselves unable to "end" listings?

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Hello Tyler & Et Al,

Has there been any thought of giving the option to sellers of leaving a float with Available Funds to cover any extra fees like promotions or listing upgrades? According to the original information eBay provided where those charges were supposed to be added to the month end invoice. This was very short lived.

The alternative would be letting sellers choose the day THEY prefer for funds to move to their bank. Versus the current choices of Tuesday or daily.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

When moving to create postage (previously) you were advised that you were going to an associated partner of eBay...Shippo. Ebay has never tracked/logged these postage costs and applied to the sellers page. Are there plans to do that or will that only be with eBay Labels? This is importage information for sellers and should not require manual tracking.

MP Sellers use all kinds of methods for creating postage. eBay Labels should not be the automatic default when it is of no use to many sellers and has limited advantages in its current form.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

I have a few questions:

1) I received a couple emails to signup but each time I try I get the attached message. Why is this happening?

2) I really wish we had the option to transfer payments to Paypal.  If we can transfer to our Bank account why not to our Paypal account? I know Paypal is not a bank but why such restrictions?  It would be really nice if eBay would consider this and give its sellers some reflexibility.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Are US$ funds automatically converted to CDN$?   Is/will there be an ability to have deposits go to a bank account aligned with the currency of sale - either US or Canadian$?   

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

I read a few messages on the eBay.COM boards where sellers just ended their listings/subscription(s) when eBay finally restricted their selling privileges for non-compliance with MP.  

So I don't think that will be a problem....

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

just wondering when an item sells,i receive the your item sold email,, usually shortly after there is another email saying payment is confirmed, you are good to ship,.. However 3-4 items yesterday i never received the second email.. When i go to items ready to ship, they all appear in there.. So i am good to ship even though i haven't received the second email.??..

Was also wondering if they can update the email format  so that i can copy and paste the shipping info from them.

If i get someone who buys multible items, and pays separately i have to print several invoices, when i was able to copy and paste i can usually put 3 orders on 1  piece of paper.. Saving me time and resources..

Also wondering about the processing time, from the time an item is paid for , and the time it takes to process in seller's hub..Most buyers are using paypal , and ebay receives the funds immediately, as it shows payment approved usually within minutes of the purchase. Why does it take 30+ hours to finish processing in my selling hub.. Before it is ready to be sent to my bank..

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

How are the planned USD payments to a Canadian bank going to work exactly? 

Say a seller would like to receive payments from ebay.ca sales in CAD, and at the same time receive ebay.com sales in USD.

Will 2 separate selling accounts be required?

In other words, must we choose one currency or the other for each account?

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

dr.iver
Community Member

Hi Tyler and team,

My question is around listing on the .com site and US payments. I recently took the steps outlined in my email to switch over to the managed payment system and I'm disappointed with how it is working so far. There appears to be the option to continue receiving payouts in USD, however that doesn't seem to be the case. The link deadends with a, "thanks for the feedback" note. I can't add my USD account.

Ebay CS tells me there is no option to receive payouts in USD.  

This creates both an inconvience and a problem. I have always sold on the .com site and I have always used my US bank account.  The managed payment solution is to convert to CAD and deposit to a Canadian based bank account.  "It's only a 3% fee", they say.  This exposes me to fluctations in the exchange rate that can't be tempered by waiting it out and, more problematic, a double hit on the currency exchange fees when I convert it back to USD. 

Thus, with the double hit and loss of any control around exchange rate fluctuations access to the larger market in the US is penalized and the seller is exposed to the spot currency rates at the time of sales.

The 6% is a deal breaker for me and I'm left wondering if there is a plan towards offering Canadians the option of depositing into our US Bank accounts in the future, or is this the end of the road?

Bottom line:  It is perfectly legal for a Canadian to handle USD and many, like myself, have banking that needs to be done in USD.  Will I be able to add my US bank account as my payout option in the future?  The extra 6% hit ,and loss of all control around the exchange rates, isn't something that I can shrug off.     

Thanks in advance.  I look forward to your reply.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

I read on the boards that my name on my checking account and my eBay account must be exactly the same. My checking account has my middle initial as well as my first and last name. My eBay  account does not include my middle initial. Do I need to change my ebay account to match before signing up and will this cause any problems for me?

Thank you.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:

Should a seller fail to successfully complete their MP account registration and subsequently finds their listing privileges have been suspended;

1. Can active listings still be "ended" when listing privileges are disabled?

2. Are there any circumstances under which a seller could find themselves unable to "end" listings?

Hi @kawartha-ephemera - Currently, the suspension of listing privileges apply to creating new, revising, and relisting items, not ending listings. If your listing privileges have been suspended, I encourage you to update your account information. Suspensions will continue to expand and we want you to be able to get paid for your items.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler & Et Al,

Has there been any thought of giving the option to sellers of leaving a float with Available Funds to cover any extra fees like promotions or listing upgrades? According to the original information eBay provided where those charges were supposed to be added to the month end invoice. This was very short lived.

The alternative would be letting sellers choose the day THEY prefer for funds to move to their bank. Versus the current choices of Tuesday or daily.

-Lotz

Good question @lotzofuniquegoodies ! Yes, we are looking at more customizable options for payouts with options such as the ones you mentioned. I'll share your feedback to the team.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@iamempress wrote:

Hi Tyler,

I have a few questions:

1) I received a couple emails to signup but each time I try I get the attached message. Why is this happening?

2) I really wish we had the option to transfer payments to Paypal.  If we can transfer to our Bank account why not to our Paypal account? I know Paypal is not a bank but why such restrictions?  It would be really nice if eBay would consider this and give its sellers some reflexibility.

Thanks!

Hi @iamempress - your account isn't eligible for managed payments yet. Can you pm me some screenshots of the emails that you've received? I'll make sure you don't receive any further emails until you're able to register.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

Are US$ funds automatically converted to CDN$?   Is/will there be an ability to have deposits go to a bank account aligned with the currency of sale - either US or Canadian$?   

Hi @byto253 - if the listing currency of the sale is different than your payout currency and linked bank account, funds will automatically converted before payout.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

@simeovivia0 wrote:

@byto253 wrote:

Hi @byto253 - if the listing currency of the sale is different than your payout currency and linked bank account, funds will automatically converted before payout.

That's true now but isn't that supposed to change as we will be allowed to use a $US account at a Canadian bank?  I think someone asked this but will it be possible to link a US $ account to .com listings and $c account to .ca listings on the same eBay ID?

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Just a comment..there seems to be a fair number of new MP users having problems getting their first payouts ...both Canadians and Americans.  Is there a checklist somewhere that they can try and figure out the problem and if that doesn't help, can it be easier to contact someone at eBay familiar with MP?  I'm not in MP so I'm basing my comments on what I've read from those that are.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

@dr.iver wrote:

Hi Tyler and team,

My question is around listing on the .com site and US payments. I recently took the steps outlined in my email to switch over to the managed payment system and I'm disappointed with how it is working so far. There appears to be the option to continue receiving payouts in USD, however that doesn't seem to be the case. The link deadends with a, "thanks for the feedback" note. I can't add my USD account.

Ebay CS tells me there is no option to receive payouts in USD.  

This creates both an inconvience and a problem. I have always sold on the .com site and I have always used my US bank account.  The managed payment solution is to convert to CAD and deposit to a Canadian based bank account.  "It's only a 3% fee", they say.  This exposes me to fluctations in the exchange rate that can't be tempered by waiting it out and, more problematic, a double hit on the currency exchange fees when I convert it back to USD. 

Thus, with the double hit and loss of any control around exchange rate fluctuations access to the larger market in the US is penalized and the seller is exposed to the spot currency rates at the time of sales.

The 6% is a deal breaker for me and I'm left wondering if there is a plan towards offering Canadians the option of depositing into our US Bank accounts in the future, or is this the end of the road?

Bottom line:  It is perfectly legal for a Canadian to handle USD and many, like myself, have banking that needs to be done in USD.  Will I be able to add my US bank account as my payout option in the future?  The extra 6% hit ,and loss of all control around the exchange rates, isn't something that I can shrug off.     

Thanks in advance.  I look forward to your reply.

Hi @dr.iver - it sounds like you were given partially inaccurate information. While you can't currently choose to receive payouts in USD, we are rolling out the USD functionality over the coming weeks.

If you want to choose USD, you can open a second business account and select that currency. Keep in mind that your USD denominated account needs to be from a Canadian bank. Should you have questions, feel free to pm me and I'll help walk you through it!

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

@esclyons wrote:

just wondering when an item sells,i receive the your item sold email,, usually shortly after there is another email saying payment is confirmed, you are good to ship,.. However 3-4 items yesterday i never received the second email.. When i go to items ready to ship, they all appear in there.. So i am good to ship even though i haven't received the second email.??..

Was also wondering if they can update the email format  so that i can copy and paste the shipping info from them.

If i get someone who buys multible items, and pays separately i have to print several invoices, when i was able to copy and paste i can usually put 3 orders on 1  piece of paper.. Saving me time and resources..

Also wondering about the processing time, from the time an item is paid for , and the time it takes to process in seller's hub..Most buyers are using paypal , and ebay receives the funds immediately, as it shows payment approved usually within minutes of the purchase. Why does it take 30+ hours to finish processing in my selling hub.. Before it is ready to be sent to my bank..

Hi @esclyons - We're actually currently working on the sold item and ship your item email format, thanks for sharing what would be helpful.

If your items are tagged as ready to ship, you can go ahead and ship them. Payouts of available funds are sent to your bank within 2 business days after your buyer’s payment is confirmed. Once payouts are sent, your bank will generally take 1-3 additional business days to make the funds from these payouts available to you. Thanks!

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:

How are the planned USD payments to a Canadian bank going to work exactly? 

Say a seller would like to receive payments from ebay.ca sales in CAD, and at the same time receive ebay.com sales in USD.

Will 2 separate selling accounts be required?

In other words, must we choose one currency or the other for each account?

Hi @kawartha-ephemera - I don't have details on the way this will work that I can discuss currently, but it is being worked on. Please keep an eye on the Announcements board - we'll make sure to provide them there when they're available!

Message 20 of 25
latest reply