May 5 2021 Weekly Session - Managed Payments Payouts in USD

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Update on this chat - we'll actually be joined by the payments team to address questions regarding the recent announcement on USD payout capabilities when eBay manages your payments.

We'll have an expert on hand to work on answers for you tomorrow afternoon. 

Thanks, 

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: May 5 2021 Weekly Session - Managed Payments Payouts in USD

Hi Tyler!  You might remember me, I had been on eBay for many years and left last year due to rising costs and more restrictive policies.   I'm considering possibly returning on a somewhat different basis, but I have one big concern (no, it's not Managed Payments, I'm used to that system on another site).  

The concern is over PDF (digitally-delivered) items.  This has two parts: 

(1)  Is eBay's "official" policy still the same as it was, i.e. that these items can only  be sold under the Classified Ads section (or whatever it might now be called), and with certain other restrictions?  I'd appreciate a link to the current policy wording in this regard; 

(2) Why has eBay apparently done little to enforce this policy, if it's still in effect.  I've seen digital items listed all over the place, I've reported a few, and yet they remain. 

A large portion of my business involves selling digital (PDF) designs to which I hold the copyright, and I'd love to be able to offer them on eBay, but not if the situation hasn't changed.  Can you update me?  Thanks so much!  

P.S. I owe you a very belated thank-you for your kind post-card received after I left.  It was actually one of the nicest things anyone had ever done for me during my years on eBay.  Like receiving a bouquet of flowers, so thank you, and sorry I never had a chance to return earlier to say so.  🙂 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I’m wondering how the new Managed Payments will affect sellers who have accounts in Canada & the US.  I ship all my items going to Canada & overseas from here in Canada, and all my US packages (about 95%) from the US. I have a US bank account attatched to my bank located in the US and a Canada bank attatched to my bank here in Canada.

Will I still be able to do this or will I only be able to choose one bank? I have some items listed on .CA and others listed on .COM

I need an ebay for dummies book 🙂

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Hi tyler! Managed payments question: 

i have 2 eBay accounts, only one is a store. I signed up last week on both. On my store account all is good, payout on its way to my bank already. On 2nd account now asking for more info (I have complied) as eBay unable to verify bank account. Both have same bank account, all info I have verified as correct. My question is, why can one be okay and not the other? Both are long time accounts and long time bank account. Why the difference?

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Got an email today saying to register and that I could register and choose USD payouts but after signing up I never saw the option to choose USD or even CAD for that matter, contacted support and they just keep telling me that no Canadian can get USD payout when there is literally a page (https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/fees-payments/usd-payouts.html) that says

• When you register for eBay as a business or by invitation, you will have the ability to choose your preferred payout currency when managing your payments.

Has anyone else signed up and gotten USD payouts? I really don't want to have to make a new account just to get paid out in USD, and I don't want to be paid out in CAD at all and lose 4% on each sale for no reason. 

A support rep just confirmed to me that my account is locked to CAD and it cannot be changed, this has to change. You're telling me that the account that I've spent all of this time building up and selling on can no longer pay out the currency I want? If I can't get paid out in USD from this account I will either have to make an entirely new account to get USD payments or I will have move to a different selling platform and neither of which I want to do.

tyler@ebay is there anything you can do to help me?

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Just adding on, I don't understand why we can't be paid out in more than one currency. The way things worked with PayPal were definitely better than this.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Questions

1) Canada TD has a USA account for CDNs called TD America is that ok for an account for me to use for all US dollar deposit.  Reason I ask is its owned by TD Canada but the branches are allover the USA.

2) I sell mostly (99%)  in the USA but live in Canada once I sign up for MP will I get all of the bonus listings on .Com site ie 10,000?

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

FYI I just upgraded to Premium after registering for MP and all the .com bonus listings are there for me now. I am not sure of the exact bonuses for Basic because I didn't see them applied before I upgraded, but I assume it will be similar.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

Hi everyone - 

Update on this chat - we'll actually be joined by the payments team to address questions regarding the recent announcement on USD payout capabilities when eBay manages your payments.

Thanks, 

Tyler

Hello Tyler,

Are there any plans to attach MP to the dot ca Status page? It almost never shows updates when there are current site issues. Or is that page still being officially utilized? This would be a good way to let sellers know when there are any evolving issues regarding payment processing.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone!

I'm still working with the payments experts to get your questions addressed, thanks for your patience. 

Thanks, 

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Hi Tyler!  You might remember me, I had been on eBay for many years and left last year due to rising costs and more restrictive policies.   I'm considering possibly returning on a somewhat different basis, but I have one big concern (no, it's not Managed Payments, I'm used to that system on another site).  

The concern is over PDF (digitally-delivered) items.  This has two parts: 

(1)  Is eBay's "official" policy still the same as it was, i.e. that these items can only  be sold under the Classified Ads section (or whatever it might now be called), and with certain other restrictions?  I'd appreciate a link to the current policy wording in this regard; 

(2) Why has eBay apparently done little to enforce this policy, if it's still in effect.  I've seen digital items listed all over the place, I've reported a few, and yet they remain. 

A large portion of my business involves selling digital (PDF) designs to which I hold the copyright, and I'd love to be able to offer them on eBay, but not if the situation hasn't changed.  Can you update me?  Thanks so much!  

P.S. I owe you a very belated thank-you for your kind post-card received after I left.  It was actually one of the nicest things anyone had ever done for me during my years on eBay.  Like receiving a bouquet of flowers, so thank you, and sorry I never had a chance to return earlier to say so.  🙂 

Welcome back @rose-dee - it's lovely to hear from you again! I'm glad that the postcard got to you. 🙂

1. The official policy hasn't changed - content that is delivered by digital download or transfer needs to be listed in the Classified Ad format or in the Everything Else > Information Products category.

2. 'Why' questions are always difficult for me to address, but I can say that we do review and remove items for violating this type of listing policy.

Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@bunbar wrote:

I’m wondering how the new Managed Payments will affect sellers who have accounts in Canada & the US.  I ship all my items going to Canada & overseas from here in Canada, and all my US packages (about 95%) from the US. I have a US bank account attatched to my bank located in the US and a Canada bank attatched to my bank here in Canada.

Will I still be able to do this or will I only be able to choose one bank? I have some items listed on .CA and others listed on .COM

I need an ebay for dummies book 🙂

Hi @bunbar  - If you have two accounts, one registered on .com and one registered on .ca, you can accept both currencies. Just select USD for the account which you sell on eBay.com.

If you only have one account, you will have to choose one currency, whichever best fits the needs of your business.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Hi tyler! Managed payments question: 

i have 2 eBay accounts, only one is a store. I signed up last week on both. On my store account all is good, payout on its way to my bank already. On 2nd account now asking for more info (I have complied) as eBay unable to verify bank account. Both have same bank account, all info I have verified as correct. My question is, why can one be okay and not the other? Both are long time accounts and long time bank account. Why the difference?

Hi @msmaggie060 - this is a really great question! Part of the registration process is to verify your identity and complete anti-money-laundering compliance reviews. Depending on a number of factors (your account's size, history of selling with us, total sales, etc) we may request additional detail. I'm not able to tell you specifically why your account was selected for additional detail even when your other account wasn't, but if you request a callback from a payments teammate they can look into it. 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@retrogamersparadise wrote:

Got an email today saying to register and that I could register and choose USD payouts but after signing up I never saw the option to choose USD or even CAD for that matter, contacted support and they just keep telling me that no Canadian can get USD payout when there is literally a page (https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/fees-payments/usd-payouts.html) that says

• When you register for eBay as a business or by invitation, you will have the ability to choose your preferred payout currency when managing your payments.

Has anyone else signed up and gotten USD payouts? I really don't want to have to make a new account just to get paid out in USD, and I don't want to be paid out in CAD at all and lose 4% on each sale for no reason. 

A support rep just confirmed to me that my account is locked to CAD and it cannot be changed, this has to change. You're telling me that the account that I've spent all of this time building up and selling on can no longer pay out the currency I want? If I can't get paid out in USD from this account I will either have to make an entirely new account to get USD payments or I will have move to a different selling platform and neither of which I want to do.

tyler@ebay is there anything you can do to help me?

Hi @retrogamersparadise - it's odd that you didn't see the option as you went through the steps to complete registration - I'll get that looked into.

The bad news is that if you are 'activated' in payments now there isn't a way you are able to change payout currency from your end. 

As frustrating as it is to hear this, the best course of action is to contact a payments trained teammate and request that they work with their leadership to get this changed for you. They may need to file a ticket with our partner in order to get it completed (which will take some time). Thanks!

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

@skylarstuff wrote:

Questions

1) Canada TD has a USA account for CDNs called TD America is that ok for an account for me to use for all US dollar deposit.  Reason I ask is its owned by TD Canada but the branches are allover the USA.

2) I sell mostly (99%)  in the USA but live in Canada once I sign up for MP will I get all of the bonus listings on .Com site ie 10,000?

Hi @skylarstuff  - 

1. As long as your account has a financial institution number, transit number, and account number, you can use it to accept USD.

2. I've been looking for the answer to this since yesterday and cannot find one. I've sent off several emails and will have Tyler update you when I hear back.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

Hi everyone - 

Thanks, 

Tyler

Hello Tyler,

Are there any plans to attach MP to the dot ca Status page? It almost never shows updates when there are current site issues. Or is that page still being officially utilized? This would be a good way to let sellers know when there are any evolving issues regarding payment processing.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - that page is utilized and updated when there is a widespread outage. The 'Payout' section would include payments managed by eBay. 

Message 17 of 17
latest reply