Canadian seller want to sell in us$ with managed payment

I am canadian seller and I want to sell on Ebay.com with US$.
It is write on ebay : ''What kind of bank account do I need to accept US dollar payouts?
You will need a US dollar denominated chequing account from a Canadian bank. ''
Does people know what Canadian bank offer US$ chequing account because I did not find any. Most of them offer saving account in US$.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/accounts/us-personal-account.html

The Royal Bank has an affiliate RBCBank which is an American bank and accounts are in US dollars.

If you are a full time business you may find that useful. However, while we have one we used for our (now retired) B&M shop and auction, I found the fees too high for my tiny micro-business.
It is popular with snowbirds too and your RBC branch may have a pamphlet.

I want to attach the RBCBank to our Managed Payments but at this time it does not appear to be possible.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I was under the impression that virtually all Canadian banks have US Checking accounts but maybe not?

You are in Quebec, have your tried Dejardins?

Also have a look at this list

https://www.savvynewcanadians.com/best-usd-dollar-bank-account-options-canada/

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I have both Canadian based USD accounts and US based USD accounts and eBay locked me into CAD payouts with no option to change payout currency, I would wait a bit to sign up and hope they clean things up. As of right now, there is no option for me to get USD payouts without making a new account. eBay is working backwards with MP taking away multiple currency payouts.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

When I opened my Tangerine chequing account, I had the option to open a US$ account too. But I did not open one for now. Maybe you can look on their website?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

But that is a US dollar account in a Canadian bank, right?

There are still going to be currency exchange questions.

What I want is the ability to add an American bank to my Managed Payments account, just as I have an American bank attached to my Paypal account.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@femmefan1946 

There are still going to be currency exchange questions.

What do you mean? When would you be paying  exchange?  

I've asked a few times but I'm still not clear on what you mean. 🙂

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

When you change the money from USD to Canadian or when you change the money from loonies to USD to deposit in an account in the other currency or to buy in the other currency.

And if you sold in USD and the money is put into your Cdn account in either currency, then used to buy.

There  is a difference in the exchange rate when you buy and when you sell currency.

Have you really never noticed that?

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Of course I was aware of that.  But you've implied or have given me the impression more than once that there would be more conversion fees  with a $US account at a Canadian bank than with an account at a US bank.  

If you sell on .com and they deposited the money into your $US account  there would be no conversion at that time whether your account was in Canada or with a US bank.   If you planned on spending those  US$  for an item listed in $US you could make sure that the account or bank you signed up with had a debit or credit card in US funds so that you could use it for that purpose. Again ....no conversion.    

Of  course if you just wanted to take out the US funds and put them in a Canadian $ account then there would be conversion fees at that time but that would be the case regardless where your US$ bank account was located.  So if  your account is in the US wouldn't you still end up having the same amount of conversion fees as you would as if your bank was a US based one?

Message 10 of 10
latest reply