October 27 2021 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

The chat is open for questions, please leave them as a reply below and I'll begin working on responses tomorrow afternoon!

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: October 27 2021 Weekly Session

As a 17+ year user of eBay each purchase becomes painful for me if it is from USA. The latest was a hard to find item that I purchased begrudgingly under the GSP. Everything thing seemed to be running smoothly. That should have raised red flags right aware. The item was shipped to Erlanger on Oct 14th and cleared Canada customs on Oct 20th.   That was when tracking on eBay and Pitney Bowes ceased. It is now Oct 26th and I have persisted and despite eBay reps tell me to wait till Nov 13th and then file a INR I battled on.

I found out that the item at the sole discretion of Pitney Bowes to be delivered by Intelcom Express. All of my prior GSP items were handled by Canada Post whose tracking info showed up in the eBay tracking.  However Intelcom Express is the direct opposite. This company is well known not to provide tracking for items and have lost parcels for eBay as well as Amazon. Yet Pitney Bowes has deemed that they are fine for delivering GSP items. eBay Money Back Guarantee is not going to replace an item that is difficult or impossible to find is it? 

I am a stickler who handles my shipments and I am extremely frustrated with this turn of events. I finally got an eBay rep via Twitter to initiate a Missing Item Request on this GSP purchase.  Why on earth does eBay allow Pitney Bowes to continue to use Intelcom Express, as well as Apple Express both of them, have a poor service letter among ebay buyers? Is it the bean counters at Pitney Bowes? 

If you can not tell I am thoroughly fed up with ebay.

From a buyer's perspective:

1) I find that eBay plethora of shipping programs for sellers is not clearly spelled out for the buyer's so that it is clear before we even buy an item whose hands are going to be handling our shipment. 

2)  I see sellers charging what I deem an excessive amount for shipping and eBay is fine with that. 

3) If I see another eBay rep mention eBay Money Back Guarantee I will scream.  If this item does not show up I will have lost a month from date of purchase. The item is hard to find so finding a replacement is not going to next to impossible. Getting my money back is one thing but these other 2 points is something that apparently escapes the c-suite execs at eBay especially if the refund was due to a low-cost courier (selected by a contractor aka Pitney Bowes)  losing or delivering the item to the wrong address.

4) I have had protracted "discussions" with eBay representatives on Twitter regarding clarification on shipping services or other matters and it is like talking to the wall most times. 

5) Instead of having a pleasurable experience like it was when I first started buying on eBay all those years ago. I have to dissect each listing for an item I am interested in and try to read between the lines to see what the seller is not telling me or what is wrong with the listing.

It has become a battle every time I purchase something off eBay particularly from the US.  

I have ordered items off of AliExpress paid less shipping for them and received them faster than a shipment on eBay from someone in the US.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Hi tyler@ebay 

POSITIVE THINKING HAPPY SELLER!

lol. Now that I have your attention I want to thank you for all you do  and share a feedback I received today. 

Preamble: For those who don't know me my store is music memorabila and vintage instruments. 50 years in brick & mortar never prepared me for eBay, that's for sure. I worked with most music icons in some fashion or another from Michael Jackson to BB King to Ray Charles. To sell an instrument to someone like that took two things. An amazing instrument and a whole lot of confidence. I recently sold one of my own "Lucilles" to a fellow in Chicago. It was delivered Oct 9. A very personal instrument I've treasure since 1970. It was a cymbal. 

Anyone who knows a drummer knows that his/her cymbals are each like family. Each is hand selected. The process to select just one can take years. My personal ones are on most of the Burton Cummings' recordings and some on BB King's. Each has been a very difficult parting.  I embelish my listings with a demonstration video from IntimewithMusic's YouTube channel. It's a great aid to bridge the global gap. As you can imagine conveying the sound and personna of an instrument globally is a challenge.  I understand eBay recognizes that and has implemented it's own video augmentation which is great. HTML is not my forte. (No pun intended) 

I would like to share the end of the story of this special cymbal with you and my seller friends. I've been on pins and needles since it was delivered 17 days ago thinking about everything possible that could go wrong with this nearly $600 sale of my personal "Lucille". I rec'd this feedback today. 

Buyer: "This guy is the Man, he's in time with music and has a ear for it too, this is my favorite 60's 22" ride cymbal. I'm glad I acted on it! This is a real jem. 100% satisfied. Thank You
ZILDJIAN 22" Avedis 1969 Ride Cymbal 3450 Grams Incl Hard Case SEE & HEAR VIDEO! (#303974612407)"

ITWM:  "Thank you! I've been in suspense waiting! Even my years selling face to face in the largest cymbal room on the planet it wasn't easy. Cymbals are personal and that's a very special cymbal! Even with the video it's uniqueness was hard to convey on the internet. 40 years presenting cymbals face to face with icons & all types of drummers helps. You communicated so well it helped me fill in our cross continental gap. Thank you for that! I dub thee "The New Caretaker"! It will serve you greatly!"

To you Tyler and all eBay sellers.

This is hard. Selling on eBay is very very hard and sometimes very very risky. We take the bad with the good. As we near year end I hope everyone manages to stay positive. The most difficult thing about eBay is everything BUT the people who work with us. The BEST thing about eBay are the people there who work with us. 

Thank you for that Tyler!

ITWM

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Very-Strange-Situation/td-p/468708

You may already be aware of triber's situation.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Hi Tyler,
Re the shipping badges on .ca

1. Will they be shown only on .ca?

2 . only on listing originating on .ca?

3.  The announcement gives a list of services that would fit the 4 day delivery time.  Is that. For information only or will those be the only services that the badge will show with?  There are no Canada post services on the list.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Hi Tyler, any news yet on why the tracking from Canada Post not always showing up on eBay? (Re my post on Oct. 6th weekly session.)

its just items shipping within Canada, no problems with items shipping to the US.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

Is eBay working on the concerns regarding the new item specifics requirement announcement? 1100 + comments/ and discovered issues on a 2 week old post must be some kind of new record. The item specifics are having a direct affect on sellers who sell either Vintage or OOAK items. In the majority of cases those suggested specifics are not 1 size fits all and causing sellers sales to drop off the map.

I routinely average 30 sales per month. This month at 3. If buyers can't easily find our items they won't be buying and the majority of those buyers use the search bar vs click click click click to find something.

As asked on dot com but still not answered, when this update is fully implemented (Feb 2022) will N/A still work as an option? For the above sellers this applies to, the majority of both required or suggested are routinely unknown OR not available. Example: Year of Manufacture gives an assortment of years but N/A or Unknown is not one of them.

Lastly, please clarify.... What process is supposed to be used for any eBay additional fees on dot ca ? It appears on dot com they are removed from first pending, then processed followed by payment method on file.  In several situations, when this has happened to me(buyers changed their mind after paying) the automagic default was bank account vs pending or processed. In speaking to multiple CS agents they were very in the dark with a concrete answer.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Hey so… long time no see. I’m the opposite of on-top of matters these days but something happened with a sale to France: unbeknownst to me the buyer was charged VAT by eBay and then VAT by French Customs. I saw none of this money paid to eBay as it wasn’t flagged as if I should do something in particular with the order, and I couldn’t use eBay to print postage because of an unknown error that arose when I tried to do so. I shipped it as usual; now the buyer is irate because they’ve been charged VAT twice? Was I supposed to be aware of the VAT payment? If so, how and what was I supposed to do different from what we’ve always done in the past? And who’s supposed to make this right with the buyer?

Thanks,
Maureen
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

Is eBay working on the concerns regarding the new item specifics requirement announcement? 1100 + comments/ and discovered issues on a 2 week old post must be some kind of new record. The item specifics are having a direct affect on sellers who sell either Vintage or OOAK items. In the majority of cases those suggested specifics are not 1 size fits all and causing sellers sales to drop off the map.

I routinely average 30 sales per month. This month at 3. If buyers can't easily find our items they won't be buying and the majority of those buyers use the search bar vs click click click click to find something.

As asked on dot com but still not answered, when this update is fully implemented (Feb 2022) will N/A still work as an option? For the above sellers this applies to, the majority of both required or suggested are routinely unknown OR not available. Example: Year of Manufacture gives an assortment of years but N/A or Unknown is not one of them.

Lastly, please clarify.... What process is supposed to be used for any eBay additional fees on dot ca ? It appears on dot com they are removed from first pending, then processed followed by payment method on file.  In several situations, when this has happened to me(buyers changed their mind after paying) the automagic default was bank account vs pending or processed. In speaking to multiple CS agents they were very in the dark with a concrete answer.

-Lotz

tyler@ebay 

To follow up to last point I had a customer use pickup as shipping option today. Only problem is they are located 4 provinces over. Cancelled order as per customer and relisted with buyer stating they would re-purchase and pay with the applicable shipping. Transaction was cancelled and I was billed from Bank account for 32 cents transaction fee. Refund to buyer is also being pulled from bank account. In these kinds of situations shouldn't this be a straight reversal? Or is this some kind of setting issue. (Order was cancelled in approx 2 hrs from payment received to approved cancellation)

-Lotz

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

I noticed tonight that the 3 new shipping services on .com for Canadians  that were supposed to start on Oct. 13 aren't working.  I didn't check expedited but when I tried using standard shipping from Canada and Economy Shipping from Canada there is no estimated delivery time....it says 'varies'

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Another shipping comment/question...

A few month ago I mentioned that on .com when a Canadian seller gave a shipping cost to Canada, the generic shipping options all give basically the same delivery time and all with a very long delivery time.

If a Canadian buyer purchased from me tonight they would see a delivery time of:

Standard international shipping - Nov 16 -29

Economy international shipping - Nov 17 - Dec 1

Expedited international shipping also show November 17 - Dec 1

I suspect that my .com listings will not get many Canadian buyers this of year since they think they will be waiting 3-4 wks from a Canadian seller.  Obviously all 3 time estimates should not be the same but they have been the same for quite a while...I woukd guess about a year.  I think that the economy time may be reasonable as sellers from other countries may be using it but standard and economy should be less.  Please ask them to change this.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@theoldestfart wrote:

As a 17+ year user of eBay each purchase becomes painful for me if it is from USA. The latest was a hard to find item that I purchased begrudgingly under the GSP. Everything thing seemed to be running smoothly. That should have raised red flags right aware. The item was shipped to Erlanger on Oct 14th and cleared Canada customs on Oct 20th.   That was when tracking on eBay and Pitney Bowes ceased. It is now Oct 26th and I have persisted and despite eBay reps tell me to wait till Nov 13th and then file a INR I battled on.

I found out that the item at the sole discretion of Pitney Bowes to be delivered by Intelcom Express. All of my prior GSP items were handled by Canada Post whose tracking info showed up in the eBay tracking.  However Intelcom Express is the direct opposite. This company is well known not to provide tracking for items and have lost parcels for eBay as well as Amazon. Yet Pitney Bowes has deemed that they are fine for delivering GSP items. eBay Money Back Guarantee is not going to replace an item that is difficult or impossible to find is it? 

I am a stickler who handles my shipments and I am extremely frustrated with this turn of events. I finally got an eBay rep via Twitter to initiate a Missing Item Request on this GSP purchase.  Why on earth does eBay allow Pitney Bowes to continue to use Intelcom Express, as well as Apple Express both of them, have a poor service letter among ebay buyers? Is it the bean counters at Pitney Bowes? 

If you can not tell I am thoroughly fed up with ebay.

From a buyer's perspective:

1) I find that eBay plethora of shipping programs for sellers is not clearly spelled out for the buyer's so that it is clear before we even buy an item whose hands are going to be handling our shipment. 

2)  I see sellers charging what I deem an excessive amount for shipping and eBay is fine with that. 

3) If I see another eBay rep mention eBay Money Back Guarantee I will scream.  If this item does not show up I will have lost a month from date of purchase. The item is hard to find so finding a replacement is not going to next to impossible. Getting my money back is one thing but these other 2 points is something that apparently escapes the c-suite execs at eBay especially if the refund was due to a low-cost courier (selected by a contractor aka Pitney Bowes)  losing or delivering the item to the wrong address.

4) I have had protracted "discussions" with eBay representatives on Twitter regarding clarification on shipping services or other matters and it is like talking to the wall most times. 

5) Instead of having a pleasurable experience like it was when I first started buying on eBay all those years ago. I have to dissect each listing for an item I am interested in and try to read between the lines to see what the seller is not telling me or what is wrong with the listing.

It has become a battle every time I purchase something off eBay particularly from the US.  

I have ordered items off of AliExpress paid less shipping for them and received them faster than a shipment on eBay from someone in the US.

Hi @theoldestfart - thanks for sharing your perspective and the issues you've encountered with this purchase. 

I encourage you to continue working with CS on this particular item to at least make sure you receive your money back, but in general I will make sure your experiences with IntelCom are shared with management.

Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Hi tyler@ebay 

POSITIVE THINKING HAPPY SELLER!

lol. Now that I have your attention I want to thank you for all you do  and share a feedback I received today. 

Preamble: For those who don't know me my store is music memorabila and vintage instruments. 50 years in brick & mortar never prepared me for eBay, that's for sure. I worked with most music icons in some fashion or another from Michael Jackson to BB King to Ray Charles. To sell an instrument to someone like that took two things. An amazing instrument and a whole lot of confidence. I recently sold one of my own "Lucilles" to a fellow in Chicago. It was delivered Oct 9. A very personal instrument I've treasure since 1970. It was a cymbal. 

Anyone who knows a drummer knows that his/her cymbals are each like family. Each is hand selected. The process to select just one can take years. My personal ones are on most of the Burton Cummings' recordings and some on BB King's. Each has been a very difficult parting.  I embelish my listings with a demonstration video from IntimewithMusic's YouTube channel. It's a great aid to bridge the global gap. As you can imagine conveying the sound and personna of an instrument globally is a challenge.  I understand eBay recognizes that and has implemented it's own video augmentation which is great. HTML is not my forte. (No pun intended) 

I would like to share the end of the story of this special cymbal with you and my seller friends. I've been on pins and needles since it was delivered 17 days ago thinking about everything possible that could go wrong with this nearly $600 sale of my personal "Lucille". I rec'd this feedback today. 

Buyer: "This guy is the Man, he's in time with music and has a ear for it too, this is my favorite 60's 22" ride cymbal. I'm glad I acted on it! This is a real jem. 100% satisfied. Thank You
ZILDJIAN 22" Avedis 1969 Ride Cymbal 3450 Grams Incl Hard Case SEE & HEAR VIDEO! (#303974612407)"

ITWM:  "Thank you! I've been in suspense waiting! Even my years selling face to face in the largest cymbal room on the planet it wasn't easy. Cymbals are personal and that's a very special cymbal! Even with the video it's uniqueness was hard to convey on the internet. 40 years presenting cymbals face to face with icons & all types of drummers helps. You communicated so well it helped me fill in our cross continental gap. Thank you for that! I dub thee "The New Caretaker"! It will serve you greatly!"

To you Tyler and all eBay sellers.

This is hard. Selling on eBay is very very hard and sometimes very very risky. We take the bad with the good. As we near year end I hope everyone manages to stay positive. The most difficult thing about eBay is everything BUT the people who work with us. The BEST thing about eBay are the people there who work with us. 

Thank you for that Tyler!

ITWM

Awww shucks @intimewithmusic - that's an amazing story, thank you! I'm glad your Lucille finally found a good home (and that $600 sale isn't anything to sneeze at either!). 

Hoping that there are many more 'easy' sales in your future!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 24
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Very-Strange-Situation/td-p/468708

You may already be aware of triber's situation.

I was not aware @femmefan1946 - thank you for letting me know! It looks like @triber is getting taken care of, but if they don't please let me know!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Hi Tyler, any news yet on why the tracking from Canada Post not always showing up on eBay? (Re my post on Oct. 6th weekly session.)

its just items shipping within Canada, no problems with items shipping to the US.

Hi @msmaggie060 - Uggggh this one is so frustrating! I keep getting told it's 'not a technical issue', which leaves me headscratching. If this is still occurring would you send an example item number to askcommunity@ebay.ca?

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 24
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - yes, the category team has reviewed and taken feedback on their changes from that thread on .com. While there is no plan to alter or 'roll back' the category changes, the moves are now complete.

My understanding is that N/A will still be available for you to use in the event it's applicable come February.

When it comes to fees:

Listing, Monthly and 'Other' fees (Insertion fees, listing upgrades, Store subscriptions, Shipping labels, ad fees, refunds, dispute fees, etc) should be pulled from Available and Processing funds

Transaction fees (Final value Fees, international fees, etc) are pulled directly from the buyer's payment at the time of payment.

If your pending or available balance cannot cover that amount, a funding source like a bank account may be charged instead.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 24
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:
Hey so… long time no see. I’m the opposite of on-top of matters these days but something happened with a sale to France: unbeknownst to me the buyer was charged VAT by eBay and then VAT by French Customs. I saw none of this money paid to eBay as it wasn’t flagged as if I should do something in particular with the order, and I couldn’t use eBay to print postage because of an unknown error that arose when I tried to do so. I shipped it as usual; now the buyer is irate because they’ve been charged VAT twice? Was I supposed to be aware of the VAT payment? If so, how and what was I supposed to do different from what we’ve always done in the past? And who’s supposed to make this right with the buyer?

Thanks,
Maureen

Hi @momcqueen  - Great to see you again! If buyer paid VAT through us, and then was asked to do so again I could understand the upset. They should, however, talk with CS (not you - since you weren't really involved in collection or remittance at all), who can work on making it up to them. 

In general now, if you sell an item to a buyer in a VAT-collecting country we will collect on their behalf and remit, and notify the appropriate customs authority. I'm not sure what happened in this buyer's case though, which is why I'd want them to reach out to CS for help.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 17 of 24
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

-Lotz

tyler@ebay 

To follow up to last point I had a customer use pickup as shipping option today. Only problem is they are located 4 provinces over. Cancelled order as per customer and relisted with buyer stating they would re-purchase and pay with the applicable shipping. Transaction was cancelled and I was billed from Bank account for 32 cents transaction fee. Refund to buyer is also being pulled from bank account. In these kinds of situations shouldn't this be a straight reversal? Or is this some kind of setting issue. (Order was cancelled in approx 2 hrs from payment received to approved cancellation)

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - with this example I agree that it should have pulled from your pending or available funds, if the balance was able to cover it. I'll get it reported!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 18 of 24
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I noticed tonight that the 3 new shipping services on .com for Canadians  that were supposed to start on Oct. 13 aren't working.  I didn't check expedited but when I tried using standard shipping from Canada and Economy Shipping from Canada there is no estimated delivery time....it says 'varies'

Hi @pjcdn2005 - not sure what's happening there, let me check with Shipping to see what's going on.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 19 of 24
latest reply

tyler@ebay I contacted Intelcom Express via their website on Oct 27th. On Oct 28th Intelcom contacted me via email to say the item is in Winnipeg and will be delivered tomorrow. I am not out of the woods by any means since this company is known to lose parcels, deliver them to the wrong address and create fake signatures. 

If I am so stupid to ever use GSP again I will use a FlexDelivery address with Canada Post postal outlet nearby. That means Pitney Bowes will be forced to use Canada Post rather than Intelcom Express and that I will have to drive over there to get the parcel but I will not have to put up with Intelcom Express clear disregard to provide tracking for their items.  

Message 20 of 24
latest reply