A selling life lesson learned worth sharing?

Buyer purchases a decent sized item (box of stamps), received it, had a complaint about a portion of it.

From my perspective, the complaint was frustrating and unfair. The issue was something one would normally expect to find or be possible in a mixed lot like that.

Put on my professional hat, worked out a solution buyer was happy with in terms of a partial refund. My normal practice is to allow the buyer to decide the amount for a partial refund (it puts the "power" in their hands, makes it go a lot smoother, but has risk of course). If I think the amount they picked is exorbitant, I block them. The amount the buyer picked was on the line. I waffled as to whether I'd block them or not. I chose not to block them.

Since then, they've purchased a couple thousand dollars of stuff (much of it over the summer season which is a slower time for us stamp sellers), with no further issues at all after the first box.

Goes to show that sometimes it's worth waving off things that seem unfair from our seller perspective. Certainly while I didn't think it was a big thing, it was to them.

Thank goodness I didn't block them or I'd have had a slower summer!!!!

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Great story, thanks for sharing that. I too possibly would have blocked him.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

You instilled confidence in the buyer which in turn made them come back as a repeat customer.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thank you for sharing that experience. So much of what we read, post and respond to on ebay is venting (I'm guilty as well) that it is really very nice to hear about a successful resolution for a transaction that started off a bit bumpy. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply