Anyone else having trouble with the new lettermail rates?

So among other things, I tried to send a standard envelope (below 30 g, containing Pokemon cards) today. I had 90 cents worth of stamps on it, using old stamps I'd bought from here on Ebay. But the manager of the Sobeys post office I usually go to insisted that the postage rate for standard letter mail within Canada is $1.05 regardless of which stamps are used. I'm certain that she's wrong, because I've mailed several of these since the rate change and they haven't returned to me. I took the envelope back and dropped it in the mailbox outside instead. Has this been happening to anyone else?

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: Anyone else having trouble with the new lettermail rates?

On a slightly unrelated note with letter services, have been trying to update some lower priced listings where the letter rate was feasible. Have noticed in attempting to add letter US Flat Rate or Intl Flat rate it MAY take several attempts for eBay to accept that change. It may take added 1 service at a time and completing. Then adding an additional service.  Not sure if this a new glitch caused by the rate increase or a random bug?

-Lotz

Message 41 of 49
latest reply

Are you using the Bulk Editor? I’ve found it entirely unresponsive to certain changes I’ve tried to do.
Message 42 of 49
latest reply

I've tried Bulk Editor on a few occasions but with the nature of my items, I feel safer using the old one at a time. Currently just using sell similar and editing hoping to add US tracked 1 to 2 KG to listings as it applied. That's where I noted the problem with trying to update listings to letter service.

-Lotz

Message 43 of 49
latest reply

OK, so the Canada Post sales clerk I talked to the other day who said she'd call customer service for me, she got an answer...that the postage rate is $1.05 even if you have stamps in lower denominations. Which makes no sense at all, since if that was the case, why did they bother posting the 90 cent rate in the first place? She double checked to confirm that it was true, and apparently it was. However, I seriously doubt it because, since the price change, I've sent multiple standard envelopes at the 90 cent rate and they didn't get returned. I've also received a couple at the 90 cent rate. So from now on I'm just going to drop them in the mailbox, even if I have to go up to the post office counter for another reason anyway. So from this and the other above posts, clearly, Canada Post has utterly failed to properly communicate to its employees. I'm thinking of calling them out on Twitter and seeing what happens.

Message 44 of 49
latest reply

Does the 92 cent (2021 rate) also apply for postage paid envelopes?

I have a bunch of these old envelopes that I'd like to use with "stamps" ranging from 8 cents (1986) to 43 cents. (See photo for a sample.)

Thanks for your help.

Message 45 of 49
latest reply

As long as you have a total value of 92c (so the 8c preprinted and 84c of stamps) on the envelope and a knowledgable PM you are fine.

If you don't have a knowledgable PM, somewhere in the main PO manual there is a paragraph that explains it.....don't have it at hand unfortunately.

Message 46 of 49
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2019

The cost of 30g by letter has been 92c for well over a year.

Message 47 of 49
latest reply

I learned this the reverse way. I thought I could use 2x $1.07 stamps to pay the $1.94 oversize rate, but my PM informed me that even if you paid $1.07, the stamp was only worth $0.92.

Message 48 of 49
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 49 of 49
latest reply