Beware of Ebays global shipping

This was the first and last time that Ill have used ebays global shipping program. 

Someone in Florida purcahsed an iPhone from me and I sent it from Canada through ebays global shipping instead of me manually adding tracking and buying through Canada post. I was in a rush as I had to already get one package out and was pretty much out the door before the gentleman from Florida made a purcahse and i decided to do both at once. So i made the purchase through the program quickly and slapped label on box and was out the door to mail. When making the purcahse through program it said that tracking would be provided, which the program had automatically uploaded to the site after I bought label. Only issue was, that the tracking that was automatically uploaded was NOT valid.

So not thinking anymore about it and roughly 2 weeks pass and I get a did not recieve request. Looking into it, the tracking that ebay had automatically uploaded hadnt moved at all (because it wasnt valid). Contacting ebay didnt help, which I didnt think it would because of the "no tracking saying delivered, its not delivered" policy and the buyers protection would surely trump my claim.  Contacted CanadaPost who couldnt do anything at all neither because the tracking wasnt valid and it couldnt be found. Apparently canadapost doesnt keep any history of their packages being scanned by barcode, even if they know the senders information and destination.

At the end of the day, I had to refund the buyer his 600$, lost the package, got a did not recieve on my account and no one could help me. Im just hoping the buyer in Flordia is honest and squares up when he does recieve. I dont blame the buyer at all neither, he made a purcahse and if the tracking wasnt moving at all, I woulda done the same thing.

attached is label that was purchaed through program.

Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Re: Beware of Ebays global shipping

We also take a bottle of white out with us to the post office and cover the word NO in the words "no delivery scan" and completely cover the french version of those words.

Since the crackdown on lettermail we have had to send everything going outside of Canada by small packets air.

Message 21 of 63
latest reply

Another problem is an overlap in naming.

Canada Post has a service called Priority Post--which is about as secure as you can get and is VERY expensive.

But the USPS Priority service is basically tracked parcel, good and fast but not super speedy.

And the UK Royal Mail has Priority Mailboxes for mailing in your Covid-19 tests.

It's a tough lesson. Dang.

Message 22 of 63
latest reply

@maximus7001 wrote:

We also take a bottle of white out with us to the post office and cover the word NO in the words "no delivery scan" and completely cover the french version of those words.

Thank you for your advice. I will find a way to distract the clerk, so he/she scans the label accidentally. Fortunately, no need to cover "no delivery scan", since no one understands English here 😄

Message 23 of 63
latest reply

There is Priorty Post here but it wouldn't have been one of the options on the op's eBay label.

Message 24 of 63
latest reply

No need to distract the clerk in Canada, they are supposed to scan small packet that's why the scan code is there.  🙂  The 'no delivery scan' note is for the post office in the receiving  country.    

Message 25 of 63
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

No need to distract the clerk in Canada, they are supposed to scan small packet that's why the scan code is there.  🙂  The 'no delivery scan' note is for the post office in the receiving  country.    

In speaking to an agent at a Shoppers D I went to because it was on my route, he was unaware/didn't know how to scan a Small Pkg air pkg and generate a receipt for the customer if they wanted 1 as proof of drop off. When I explained I've done it for several years he even refused to try.

-Lotz

Message 26 of 63
latest reply

An alternative might be to have the clerk stamp your package with the Canada Post dated stamp, and then you can take a picture of the package with your phone. 

If the purpose is proof of drop off in the case that a customer contacts you about a delay, you then have reasonable proof that you dropped it off within the specified handling time.

Message 27 of 63
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

An alternative might be to have the clerk stamp your package with the Canada Post dated stamp, and then you can take a picture of the package with your phone. 

If the purpose is proof of drop off in the case that a customer contacts you about a delay, you then have reasonable proof that you dropped it off within the specified handling time.

It's never been an issue at the 2 depots I regularly go to. They did it automatically.  I think what's happened during each clerks training they "absorbed" certain specifics and skipped the rest. Similar to when you try to speak to an eBay CS contractor.

As for the scans (eBay)  the first one you see are label created. 2nd is either Canada preparing post or arrived at LAX/SF in my case. The scan receipt at PO is a bonus. Similar to when the River takes a picture of photo being dropped off...unless you have a doorbell cam you don't see if it physically gets stolen. According to the River it was dropped off so customer MUST have it.

-Lotz

Message 28 of 63
latest reply

If you have a business account with Canada Post you might be entitled to an insurance claim providing the UR number from a small packet US rate ...regardless if the item has been scan. But knowing that you used Ebay Shipping...all shipping transaction are not recorded on your business account ...if you have one. Shippo is the way to go if you have a Canada Post business account ...all shipping transaction are then recorded under your business account. FYI; Small Packet USA is trackable but you must enter the UR number manually. The number becomes trackable when your parcel arrived in the US. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise...it does work!!!

Message 29 of 63
latest reply

There is no Canada Post insurance on small packet so there would be no insurance claim unless the seller had purchased insurance from a third party.

Message 30 of 63
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

No need to distract the clerk in Canada, they are supposed to scan small packet that's why the scan code is there.   The 'no delivery scan' note is for the post office in the receiving  country. 

Shipped my first 10 Small Packets with UR entered manually, all were scanned by the clerk, some already arrived to their destinations in the US, and yes, they are marked as delivered by Ebay.  I don't think anyone at USPS had time to read this weird miniature no delivery scan inscription. 

Image2.jpg

Message 31 of 63
latest reply

I don't think that they notice it either. They see a barcode so they scan it.  If I think of it I black out the no delivery scan part, but I often forget to do that and it still gets scanned.

Message 32 of 63
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I don't think that they notice it either. They see a barcode so they scan it.  If I think of it I black out the no delivery scan part, but I often forget to do that and it still gets scanned.

The other reason it is there is because it is an internal scan for CP to confirm labels are not being used twice. If a UR number or any other tracking label got used multiple times they would just bill the attached account number for additional charges.

eBay Labels uses the transaction id as tracking and dumps into eBay. (It's tied to a master account belonging to eBay.  Unfortunately that number is not editable like when it is entered in created from Shippo/PayPal/CP.

-Lotz

Message 33 of 63
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

The other reason it is there is because it is an internal scan for CP to confirm labels are not being used twice. If a UR number or any other tracking label got used multiple times they would just bill the attached account number for additional charges.

I always thought this is the ONLY reason it exists 😉

Message 34 of 63
latest reply

@38e_avenue 

From a CP perspective it's their main reason for it to be there. From an eBay sellers perspective it's a just a fortunate bonus that it works with eBay tracking. Right now will take any fortunate bonuses I can get. 

-Lotz

Message 35 of 63
latest reply

Like I said, when I initially selected the shipping service, I selected Priority shipping worldwide. heres a screenshot. 

Message 36 of 63
latest reply

I tried contacting canadapost, without a proper tracking number, the agent told me that he cant do anything.

Message 37 of 63
latest reply

@gopherwarehousecdn wrote:

Like I said, when I initially selected the shipping service, I selected Priority shipping worldwide. heres a screenshot. 

Ooh, that be the super-fast but super-expensive collaboration between Canada Post and FedEx.

Well, like a few other people said, that may have been the shipping service you chose for the listing, but unfortunately it isn't likely the shipping service you chose when purchasing the postage.  How much were you charged for the postage?

@gopherwarehousecdn wrote:

I tried contacting canadapost, without a proper tracking number, the agent told me that he cant do anything.

Makes sense, again, unfortunately.  Those "UR" numbers don't show up as tracking on either the Canada Post website or the USPS website.  It's just a quirk that USPS inadvertently supplies scan data from them to eBay.

Message 38 of 63
latest reply

You selected "Canada Post Priority Worldwide" which is a specific service through Canada Post. It is their fastest and most expensive service with final delivery being made by FedEx. Shipping an iPhone via this service would have cost you around $80-100 CAD.

Just because you specify a shipping service in the listing doesn't mean it will automatically print a label for said service when you go to buy postage.

Message 39 of 63
latest reply

Canada Post cannot do anything for you with the UR number. 

You need to find some way to add it to the eBay transaction under tracking. That's the only place where tracking shows up with those numbers. If the transaction is already closed, you may not be able to do that. 

A last resort would be to sign up for Twitter, contact https://twitter.com/ebayforbusiness?lang=en

Give them your username, give them the ID for the item not received case that was opened, and give them the item number for the original sale. Tell them you have the tracking code and want to appeal the INR refund. Give them the UR number. This would be a shot in the dark, as it might not work, but if they actually go through eBay's actual system (and not USPS), it might show as delivered when they re-add the tracking number. 

I wouldn't mention anything about the UR number not being tracking on USPS.com or Canada Post, just give it to them as the tracking number, and hope they add it to the transaction and see the delivery scan through eBay's system. 

You can also try to do it through eBay's customer service chat, but eBay For Business tends to be better. 

That is your only real shot. Which is, trying to find a way to get the UR number added to the transaction since it is tracking, but the tracking only shows up on eBay's system. 

Message 40 of 63
latest reply