Beware of Ebays global shipping

This was the first and last time that Ill have used ebays global shipping program. 

Someone in Florida purcahsed an iPhone from me and I sent it from Canada through ebays global shipping instead of me manually adding tracking and buying through Canada post. I was in a rush as I had to already get one package out and was pretty much out the door before the gentleman from Florida made a purcahse and i decided to do both at once. So i made the purchase through the program quickly and slapped label on box and was out the door to mail. When making the purcahse through program it said that tracking would be provided, which the program had automatically uploaded to the site after I bought label. Only issue was, that the tracking that was automatically uploaded was NOT valid.

So not thinking anymore about it and roughly 2 weeks pass and I get a did not recieve request. Looking into it, the tracking that ebay had automatically uploaded hadnt moved at all (because it wasnt valid). Contacting ebay didnt help, which I didnt think it would because of the "no tracking saying delivered, its not delivered" policy and the buyers protection would surely trump my claim.  Contacted CanadaPost who couldnt do anything at all neither because the tracking wasnt valid and it couldnt be found. Apparently canadapost doesnt keep any history of their packages being scanned by barcode, even if they know the senders information and destination.

At the end of the day, I had to refund the buyer his 600$, lost the package, got a did not recieve on my account and no one could help me. Im just hoping the buyer in Flordia is honest and squares up when he does recieve. I dont blame the buyer at all neither, he made a purcahse and if the tracking wasnt moving at all, I woulda done the same thing.

attached is label that was purchaed through program.

Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Re: Beware of Ebays global shipping

If you checked the image the OP posted he is NOT talking about a UR number, people are being confused because others have posted sample images that are for different services.

Here is the original image uploaded by the OP, you can see the weird tracking number, it's not a standard Canada Post number and it's also not a standard FedEx number (although an 18 digit number could be FedEx in very rare circumstances), I tried tracking it at FedEx but it was reported as invalid.

My guess is that it is an internal reference number, the actual tracking number that FedEx would use might have been on the label itself?

One other thing that doesn't seem right is the price charged, it seems far too low for a FedEx express envelope to the US (which is what the OP was apparently buying). 

recped_0-1652586856508.png

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 41 of 63
latest reply

@recped 

That is the "silly" reference number eBay Labels uses for that service. And once it ports to eBay it is non editable unless you void and redo. With Shippo/CP/PayPal postage you can manually enter and edit. The price was correct for Small Packet Air service to USA. Tracked/Expedited/Xpresspost/Priority Post should function properly.

-Lotz

Message 42 of 63
latest reply

@recped wrote:

If you checked the image the OP posted he is NOT talking about a UR number, people are being confused because others have posted sample images that are for different services.

Here is the original image uploaded by the OP, you can see the weird tracking number, it's not a standard Canada Post number and it's also not a standard FedEx number (although an 18 digit number could be FedEx in very rare circumstances), I tried tracking it at FedEx but it was reported as invalid.

My guess is that it is an internal reference number, the actual tracking number that FedEx would use might have been on the label itself?

One other thing that doesn't seem right is the price charged, it seems far too low for a FedEx express envelope to the US (which is what the OP was apparently buying). 

recped_0-1652586856508.png

The listing states Canada Post Priority Worldwide which is why that screenshot shows that but the original post from the op shows a small packet air label was purchased.  As Lotz mentioned,  that number showing as a 'tracking number' on the op's label is a transaction number that eBay adds when we purchase small packet.  It's very confusing to the buyer and to new sellers.   As far as I can tell, Priorty Post isn't available on eBay labels.  

The Ur number that we were referring to has to be entered by the seller as a 2nd tracking number as it isn't considered a tracking number although it can work like one in some cases.  That was more of a secondary conversation, not really aimed at the op.  
Message 43 of 63
latest reply

@gopherwarehousecdn wrote:

Like I said, when I initially selected the shipping service, I selected Priority shipping worldwide. heres a screenshot. 

Your listing shows that is how you would be shipping but that option is not available on eBay so it defaulted to the first choice on the label page which is also the least expensive and which does not offer tracking. I can understand how that would be confusing but it is always a good idea to double check the shipping service and to be aware of the options available with each service. 

For a $600 item your best shipping choice to the US would be Expedited Parcel or Xpresspost.   You could purchase labels on eBay for either of those services.  For a transaction of $750 or more, you need to have a signature on delivery so Xpresspost USA would be the only  choice on eBay. 

Message 44 of 63
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 

@lotzofuniquegoodies 

OK thanks!

I admit this entire thread confused me to no end given the OP's original use of "Global Shipping" and then changed it to "Priority".

From the price you say it's small packet rate that was paid, wonder how the OP thought they were getting tracking with that? Does eBay suggest that you do SPECIFICALLY or do they just use "Tracking No" in the label purchase universally even when it be more correct calling it a "reference number".

It's been more than 15 years since I printed a label via eBay and even then it was only for domestic Expedited. Actually not 15 years I just remember I printed ONE (Expedited Domestic) last year when they had the discount plan. After that experience I resolved to never again, mostly because GST/HST didn't seem to be specified anywhere and with no documented ITC the rate wasn't much of a discount.

It never occured to me that someone would knowingly ship a $600 iPhone via Small Packet and I see the OP has sold a few of these. If this is the first time he had a problem of this nature he has been very lucky.

When you make a sale and use eBay to print the label do they show you all the options available or just the one specified in the listing. If it's all thjje options then I guess the OP balked aat the Priority Worldwide rate and just picked the Small Packet because it would be the lowest price.

I know many people find the shipping to be the most confusing part of the selling process, unfortunate for the OP but hopefully they will never make the same mistake again.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 45 of 63
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@pjcdn2005 

@lotzofuniquegoodies 

OK thanks!

I admit this entire thread confused me to no end given the OP's original use of "Global Shipping" and then changed it to "Priority".

From the price you say it's small packet rate that was paid, wonder how the OP thought they were getting tracking with that? Does eBay suggest that you do SPECIFICALLY or do they just use "Tracking No" in the label purchase universally even when it be more correct calling it a "reference number".

It's been more than 15 years since I printed a label via eBay and even then it was only for domestic Expedited. Actually not 15 years I just remember I printed ONE (Expedited Domestic) last year when they had the discount plan. After that experience I resolved to never again, mostly because GST/HST didn't seem to be specified anywhere and with no documented ITC the rate wasn't much of a discount.

It never occured to me that someone would knowingly ship a $600 iPhone via Small Packet and I see the OP has sold a few of these. If this is the first time he had a problem of this nature he has been very lucky.

When you make a sale and use eBay to print the label do they show you all the options available or just the one specified in the listing. If it's all thjje options then I guess the OP balked aat the Priority Worldwide rate and just picked the Small Packet because it would be the lowest price.

I know many people find the shipping to be the most confusing part of the selling process, unfortunate for the OP but hopefully they will never make the same mistake again.

When something sells and you are ready to ship eBay gives you the option which then allows you to use one of the available services based on your original package weight. There is also the option to use Shippo.... on the right. As far as I know it gives you all available options. From those 2 scenarios you can create your label. Main difference being eBay Labels ports that reference number. If you were letters on pkg or do use  kind of person you can enter it manually. If you use Shippo any non tracked service can be manually entered. Best to get it right the first time. If you attempt to correct once it has had a scan it does not update in the eBay system. (From personal experience.) The Shippo/CP system of creating labels is definitely more flexible when it comes to creating a label. More detailed/options.

The way I look at it is if you are using eBay labels, eBay owns the account information. If you are using any of the other services, you do. Important to know if you need to make a claim.

-Lotz

Message 46 of 63
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@recped wrote:

@pjcdn2005 

@lotzofuniquegoodies 

OK thanks!

When something sells and you are ready to ship eBay gives you the option which then allows you to use one of the available services based on your original package weight. There is also the option to use Shippo.... on the right. As far as I know it gives you all available options. From those 2 scenarios you can create your label. Main difference being eBay Labels ports that reference number. If you were letters on pkg or do use  kind of person you can enter it manually. If you use Shippo any non tracked service can be manually entered. Best to get it right the first time. If you attempt to correct once it has had a scan it does not update in the eBay system. (From personal experience.) The Shippo/CP system of creating labels is definitely more flexible when it comes to creating a label. More detailed/options.

The way I look at it is if you are using eBay labels, eBay owns the account information. If you are using any of the other services, you do. Important to know if you need to make a claim.

-Lotz

@recped 

How it displays from eBay Labels for a recent letter type order Canada (Gives you same options for both letter or parcel):

Screenshot 2022-05-15 092122.jpg

How it displayed for recent US order:

Screenshot 2022-05-15 092233.jpg

-Lotz

Message 47 of 63
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies 

Thanks for the details and screen shots. I'm kind of in the dark about eBay/PayPal shipping because I stopped using Canada Post for US/Overseas around 2004.

I was aware but not really "conscious" about the situations where sellers offer a service that is not available via eBay (eg: LetterPost). It's a thing that comes up on the US boards quite a bit.

Message 48 of 63
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies 

Thanks for the details and screen shots. I'm kind of in the dark about eBay/PayPal shipping because I stopped using Canada Post for US/Overseas around 2004.

I was aware but not really "conscious" about the situations where sellers offer a service that is not available via eBay (eg: LetterPost). It's a thing that comes up on the US boards quite a bit.

The new normal....Mainly out of necessity is sellers using generic shipping options and applying the one that works best after the customer pays. Because eBay's shipping estimates with known services are optimistic estimates  at best, sellers feel more comfortable using those services and inflating handling as required.

I've always searched sellers out that do offer specific services and I've listed that way to be as up front as I can be under the circumstances and then let the customer decide for themselves what works best for their requirements/budget.

Tracked service DOES NOT work for all selling situations. It sure would be nice though when a tracked service was used it could be depended on for reliable information. Many buyers do need to know when something is going to arrive...either its a required item or they don't want to risk it walking away. Personally when I've gone to the trouble of ordering something..I just want to know it will be delivered based on what I paid for.

-Lotz

Message 49 of 63
latest reply

"As far as I know it gives you all available options."

As your screenshot shows, ebay does not offer Priority Worldwide to the US. Canada Post does offer it when using their calculator.  

The reference number is only ported for small packet. The tracking number is entered in order details if the service has tracking.

Message 50 of 63
latest reply

"When you make a sale and use eBay to print the label do they show you all the options available or just the one specified in the listing. If it's all thjje options then I guess the OP balked aat the Priority Worldwide rate and just picked the Small Packet because it would be the lowest price.:

It shows you all of the options available but when a generic service is used or if the service isn't offered by eBay, the first option which is small packet is checked off so perhaps the seller  assumed that's the one they chose when they listed.  It is indicated that it doesn't have tracking although I wouldn't say that it jumps out at you unless you are looking for it.  

Message 51 of 63
latest reply

If you go back to the first page, he attached what I assume is the actual label that he printed. It is a Small Packet Air label, with a UR number under the bar code. 

Assuming that was the label for the transaction in question, what I am suggesting he do is contact the eBay For Small Business help page on Twitter or Facebook. Claim the item was delivered, and that he would like to appeal the INR case refund. Present the UR number as the tracking number (don't go into all the stuff about UR codes unless they outright say it's not a tracking number, just tell them it's the tracking number).

I have never had to appeal an INR, so I do not know what eBay's process is. I am assuming there is a chance that if he presents the UR number and says it is the tracking number that shows delivery, they will add it to the transaction for him (which he can no longer manually do), and if it was in fact delivered the tracking will update on eBay since UR numbers seem to show tracking on eBay's system. That will hopefully allow him to appeal the refund since he will then have proof of delivery. 

I am assuming the photo he attached to the original post was the label in question. If not, then disregard the above. 

Message 52 of 63
latest reply

@gopherwarehousecdn 

@ilikehockeyjerseyshad a good idea.  Since you still do have the UR number available on the label, you can check to see if the item actually was scanned as delivered.  As mentioned before small packet is not tracked however, if you enter the UR number  (number under the bar code) , it is possible that tracking will show up in a couple of hours.    Tracking will not show on USPS or Canada Post but it will show up on ebay. If it shows that the buyer did receive it, ebay MAY be willing to let you appeal the refund.  It may be too late since the transaction was in March but it is worth a try.

First, go to that transaction and click on the tracking number. Then you might have to scroll down a bit but there is an option to enter a second tracking number.  Enter UR and the number that is under the bar code on your label.     It might take a bit of time to show up but if tracking does show up and if it shows the package is delivered, you should contact ebay customer service and ask them to look at the tracking on ebay.   It would be best to contact ebay customer service on Facebook or Twitter. You can send them a private message with all of the information.   There is a small possibility that they will give you a courtesy refund.

Message 53 of 63
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@gopherwarehousecdn 

@ilikehockeyjerseyshad a good idea.  Since you still do have the UR number available on the label, you can check to see if the item actually was scanned as delivered.  As mentioned before small packet is not tracked however, if you enter the UR number  (number under the bar code) , it is possible that tracking will show up in a couple of hours.    Tracking will not show on USPS or Canada Post but it will show up on ebay. If it shows that the buyer did receive it, ebay MAY be willing to let you appeal the refund.  It may be too late since the transaction was in March but it is worth a try.

First, go to that transaction and click on the tracking number. Then you might have to scroll down a bit but there is an option to enter a second tracking number.  Enter UR and the number that is under the bar code on your label.     It might take a bit of time to show up but if tracking does show up and if it shows the package is delivered, you should contact ebay customer service and ask them to look at the tracking on ebay.   It would be best to contact ebay customer service on Facebook or Twitter. You can send them a private message with all of the information.   There is a small possibility that they will give you a courtesy refund.

If the label was created through eBay labels you are unable to update the original tracking field. System blocks that function. The UR number needs to be entered before the item is dropped off and gets any system scans. If it does let you use a second additional field(as per suggestion) for tracking that would cause a late ding for shipping. Any tracking is based on the date the tracking is entered. A second tracking would corrupt the parcels history. You can ask eBay to understand the reasoning for changing the tracking but no guarantees they will hear you.

-Lotz

PS. I've tested this in the past when I accidentally entered an incorrect tracking number. The tracking would not display but did receive confirmation from buyer that item had been received. For CP purposes the UR number like the other reference number is only to make sure label is not used twice.

Message 54 of 63
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@gopherwarehousecdn 

If the label was created through eBay labels you are unable to update the original tracking field. System blocks that function. The UR number needs to be entered before the item is dropped off and gets any system scans. If it does let you use a second additional field(as per suggestion) for tracking that would cause a late ding for shipping. Any tracking is based on the date the tracking is entered. A second tracking would corrupt the parcels history. You can ask eBay to understand the reasoning for changing the tracking but no guarantees they will hear you.

-Lotz

PS. I've tested this in the past when I accidentally entered an incorrect tracking number. The tracking would not display but did receive confirmation from buyer that item had been received. For CP purposes the UR number like the other reference number is only to make sure label is not used twice.

I'm aware of how it works but I realize you were just giving this information as a head's up.

But referring to the op's situation only...If the package actually shows as delivered and it was delivered on time, there would be no late ding even if the item was shown as having been shipped late.

I would take a chance on having a late ding if it meant I might recover $600. 

Message 55 of 63
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@gopherwarehousecdn 

-Lotz

I know you were just giving the information as a head's up.  But referring to the op's situation only...If the package actually shows as delivered and it was delivered on time, there would be no late ding even if the item was shown as having been shipped late.

I would take a chance on having a late ding if it meant I might recover $600.

Sorry. For late ding I meant in processing the package according to buyers handling.

-Lotz

Message 56 of 63
latest reply

Appreciate all the comments and feedback. Couple things though, 

1. Yes, i realised i used the term global shipping incorrectly, appologies. I used the ebay platform after clicking the notification in my browser that says "Paid - SHIP NOW".  From there, AT THE TIME of doing the label (after clicking PAID-SHIP NOW) I selected priority shipping (it was an option, I selected it) then bought and printed label. Taped label to box and brought to CanadaPost. 

I never double checked the tracking number that was provided from selecting PRIORITY shipping. It was stated at the time of me selecting priority shipping that tracking would be provided. I thought I was safe, never second guess it.

2 weeks go by and the buyer says he didnt recieve (also didnt check in those 2 weeks the status of the package because I assumed everything was A-OK). Once buyer filled did not recieve, thats when I checked the status of the package and say that it hadnt moved and it was it was small packages at this time. 

Thats all im saying. Some sort of glitch in the system it seems like cause I defintely selected priority, it definitely said tracking provided and i defintely got screwed. Some of you are way off original post.

Message 57 of 63
latest reply

@gopherwarehousecdn wrote:

Some sort of glitch in the system it seems like cause I defintely selected priority, it definitely said tracking provided and i defintely got screwed. Some of you are way off original post.

Your listing stated shipping the iPhone by Priority USA for a $1.00 charge.  A item about the size of a packaged mobile phone would cost me about $85 to ship by Priority USA from where I am on Vancouver Island to California.  How much were you charged?

Message 58 of 63
latest reply

any canada post service less that tracket packet is placing yourself at risk because they do not have tracking.Tracked packet,expedited and above services are the only ones offeringtracking.Its accurate tracking upto date tracking on USPS also aswell as Canada Post.Small packet service has no tracking,,the number you are copying and adding is garbage and serves as nothing.You cant use it for anything and neither can ebay.Ive sent 30 000 parcels using canada post and believe me i tried saving money using smmall packet and it bit me in the but ebnough that ive learned my lesson>tracked packet or better is the obnly way to go for me and my customers.

Message 59 of 63
latest reply

@thefacadeshop wrote:

any canada post service less that tracket packet is placing yourself at risk because they do not have tracking.Tracked packet,expedited and above services are the only ones offeringtracking.Its accurate tracking upto date tracking on USPS also aswell as Canada Post.Small packet service has no tracking,,the number you are copying and adding is garbage and serves as nothing.You cant use it for anything and neither can ebay.Ive sent 30 000 parcels using canada post and believe me i tried saving money using smmall packet and it bit me in the but ebnough that ive learned my lesson>tracked packet or better is the only way to go for me and my customers.

See post 16 for detailed example of a shipment sent using the UR tracking number to the USA. It also works for some random countries in Scandinavia and S. Europe. Only from eBay. 

-Lotz 

Message 60 of 63
latest reply