Buyer Requirements Activity Log

I've posted about the Buyer Requirements Activity Log before. I check it regularly if only to torture myself with sales that might have been if I skipped the block against Unpaid Items and went with Immediate Payment Required instead.

Also, I've complained that buyer activity from Unpaid Item Strikes is of far less interest to me than attempted purchases from the ones who've been auto-blocked due to Report Violations or, more importantly, the folks on my Blocked Bidder list still trying to buy stuff because that at least would put me on the alert for new buyers with zero feedback trying to circumvent a BB block.

Lately, however, I've gotten two attempts from Buyers in Countries Which I Don't Ship To which is unusual to me since I've seen that come up three times in my history of a seller and this is the second and third time. They have all been in fact buyers from countries to which I don't ship: Mexico, Greece and Mauritius; it's not an error. 

Do you suppose there is an oddity with the search function which has recently begun showing my listings to buyers outside of my ship-to zones? Is anyone else seeing this?

Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 2.40.33 PM.png

Also, if you make a regular practice of checking your Buyer Requirements Activity Log, what number of users do you average in a 90-day period and for what reasons? I'm curious.....

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I do tend to check Buyer Activity Log regularly. Rarely have any entries.  In the past 2 years, I believe I have had 3-4 entries - 1 was to a country I don't ship to, the others were for too many unpaid item strikes.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

i think some buyers log into .ca, and that is what causes some confusion..

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I hardly ever check that log, but after reading your post I looked at mine.

I have very few blocks,  but like you someone was blocked for the reason "resides in a country I don't ship to".  Location is listed as the US.

It's possible that her shipping address is in Nigeria or the like.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I rarely look at that log.  

The buyers from those countries could have changed their location on the search pages to acountry that you ship to. They could see the listingsbut not buy them.  You do have 6 items that ship to Mexico up when I use Mexico as a location, I only see those items, not your other listings.  Or...the odd time I do see listings that don't ship to Canada...perhaps those restrictions are temporarily lifted  when eBay is doing an update. 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Actually, the Buyer Restriction block I'd like to see offered above all is one that allows a seller to automatically halt a buyer who has 'x number of Buyer-Initiated Cancelled Orders in x months' because that would be a big time-saver for me, not to mention it would save me Insertion Fees and countless hours of aggravation each year. Maybe another for canceled bids. Or one for Returns. I'm less excited about one for Returns, those I do see as a legitimate cost of doing business (and a feature a seller can chose to opt out of accepting in the first place) but Cancelled Orders and wasting my time and Insertion Fee money (and Watchers and/or Order History) on Cancelled Orders is a major annoyance to me.

As a toy seller, I get more Cancel Order requests in a year than I do actual Unpaid Item cases opened and closed without payment. Kids shopping without their parents knowledge in many cases. 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Actually, the Buyer Restriction block I'd like to see offered above all is one that allows a seller to automatically halt a buyer who has 'x number of Buyer-Initiated Cancelled Orders in x months'..........

The way eBay keeps track of issues like cancelled orders and strikes renders those functions meaningless.

For example, someone who buys 100 items a month and cancels 3 is penalized the same way a buyer is who buys 3 and cancels 3.

Do you really want to block someone who buys 100 items a month?

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Yes, I have had attempts from buyers from China and Russia, I ship to neither. What has bothered me more is that I have had 3 come up to "countries to which I don't ship", that are in the US, I always ship there. I have called eBay each time and have been told they will look into it. None in the last 4 weeks, so HOPEFULLY they have fixed it, it means I have lost sales.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Actually, the Buyer Restriction block I'd like to see offered above all is one that allows a seller to automatically halt a buyer who has 'x number of Buyer-Initiated Cancelled Orders in x months'..........

The way eBay keeps track of issues like cancelled orders and strikes renders those functions meaningless.

For example, someone who buys 100 items a month and cancels 3 is penalized the same way a buyer is who buys 3 and cancels 3.

Would be nice if eBay can do the block in percentages instead of numbers, just like what they do with our silly defects. I would love to block someone who has 2 unpaid item strike out of 10 items but not someone who has 2 unpaid item strikes out of 100. Right now I do have the blocks set to strictest possible but usually nothing comes up in my buyer activities block. If there are, usually it's a couple that were blocked by unpaid item strikes or countries I ship to. I had a few people who made a new account to buy because they were blocked by the unpaid strike but they paid right away so I just shipped as usual. 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

There have been a few reports lately of US buyers being blocked when they shouldn't be.  I'm not sure what that is all about.   In site requirements - shipping requirements do you have checked off that buyers need yo provide a phone number?   Triber do you have that checked off?   Just wondering if that is the problem.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:

@sylviebee wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Would be nice if eBay can do the block in percentages instead of numbers, just like what they do with our silly defects. I would love to block someone who has 2 unpaid item strike out of 10 items but not someone who has 2 unpaid item strikes out of 100. Right now I do have the blocks set to strictest possible but usually nothing comes up in my buyer activities block. If there are, usually it's a couple that were blocked by unpaid item strikes or countries I ship to. I had a few people who made a new account to buy because they were blocked by the unpaid strike but they paid right away so I just shipped as usual. 

That is exactly true. While I am wishing aloud for things that will never come to pass, allow me to agree that Unpaid Item Strikes would be more meaningful as a percentage. Like being able to choose a buyer block from (a) 10 per cent or more (b) five per cent to ten per cent or (c) less than five per cent of items left unpaid over a three- six- or 12-month period should be blockable. Or something along those lines. 

Alternatively, I would enjoy if ebay allowed me to enable Immediate Payment Required on listings with Cash on Local Pickup available but only allow the Cash on Pickup option to show for buyers within a certain postal zone.

Although I read recently that Local Pickup as a Paypal Payment option is being expanded, this could also be applied to Local Pickup with Immediate Payment Required. Except that I prefer Cash if I have to meet someone at my door. If the buyer wants to take extra time including my time to save on postage, I should be allowed to save on paypal fees. Unless 3.7 per cent of no sale at all is worth less than 3.7 per cent of a $25 pickup paid with paypal. Perhaps I could explore it. 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

First time I looked at for long time and I was quite surprised to see so many try's from countries I do not ship to plus a few with Buyer strikes. I get allot of questions from buyers about the Canadian Silver coins & why I don't ship to their countries.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Hi MJ, I'm having a senior moment and forget how to access the buyer requirements activity log.  Can you point me in the right direction?

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

No, I didn't have that checked, I have done it now. The 3 times I called eBay about the problem, they never mentioned that.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Musicyouneed, you go into Account and Site Preferences and then the Buyer Requirement Activity Log link should be about halfway down the page at left. I can do screenshots if you need but I won't be at a desktop computer again for another few hours.
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi MJ, I'm having a senior moment and forget how to access the buyer requirements activity log.  Can you point me in the right direction?

http://offer.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BuyerRequirementsActivityLog

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Thanks MJ and Recped.  Found it.  Don't have any showing.  

Message 17 of 17
latest reply