Buyers ghosting in INR cases

I know there is nothing to do with lettermail INR cases, i'm just curious of how would you interprete this situation. 

Last few times after a case is closed, i tried to contact buyers a week or two later to ask if they received. They always ghost. Even if i can see from their feedbacks received from purchases that they are active. Few days ago someone opened a case without contacting and shortly wrote 'not received, i would like a refund'. I answered to case with a message, asking some time and explaining delays are possible (it was shipped 20 days ago, east canada to west united states), no response. 2 days after i messaged again to ask if it was received, it was the beginning of the week, and again if he could allow the week, ghosted again. 

Over time i noticed a tendency from most people opening INR cases to ignore seller's messages. This is just suspicious to me as they seem only interested in their money back, and not their item. Pointing to me that it's false claims. They would bother about receiving what they wanted, if they did not already received it, IMO. 

Just curious. Would you also assume this behaviour point that those are false claims?

I wonder how to interprete it, as i feel giving customer service, requesting additional time, or expecting a possible payback arrangement, is maybe just a waste of time. I don't feel like any INR case i have is actually true. 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Buyers ghosting in INR cases

Did you use tracked shipping, even Small Packets has the UR number which works 99% of the time...

...as for the rest of your post, yes you got ghosted it is a common occurrence.

They probably received the items, after the refund was issued and just said, yeah!

Does the tracking show as delivered for any of these INRs, if it does then just report the Buyer and provide all the details eBay, nothing more you can really do...

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

It's part of the Cookie Jar Insurance experience.

We pay ourselves a small premium from every sale for the occasional one that goes badly.

We pay out when we have a Claim.

Sometimes a crook will get the item and a refund.

C'est la vie.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I try not to assume anything but I suspect your category tends to have more inr's than mine.

I don't know if you send them a message after you ship the item but it might help.  After I ship I send a message confirming shipment,  thank the buyer for their purchase and give them a realistic eta. I also ask them to let me know if they have any questions or concerns.  I think that helps as it makes them realize that they are dealing with an individual and one who is willing to communicate.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I do not send followup notes, I send something like this at the time of the refund:

Hi USERNAME! I am sorry to hear that the stamps have not yet arrived. I very much appreciate your patience awaiting their arrival! I agree that a lot of time has gone by and that normally by now they should have arrived. My international loss rate remains below 1/2 of 1% so 99.5% of packages do eventually arrive. If the stamps do eventually arrive, please just let me know so I can set things up so you can pay for them again (this is my full time job, small packages like this are not insured so I am out 100% if they never arrive). I want to thank you again for your excellent patience, it is appreciated, and I am hopeful that eventually they will get there. Have a great day!!!

I get a decent amount of "repayers", but I live in a safer selling category.....

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Your time is worth money. 

When an INR case is opened:

"I regret to hear that Canada Post has failed to deliver your item by the expected shipment date. If your item does not arrive by eBay's case deadline of (X), I will resolve the case with a refund. If your item does arrive before then, please let me know by closing the case."

After you refund, you can send the buyer a polite message.

"Your order that did not arrive has been refunded. If your package does arrive in the future, please let me know. That way, we can arrange for the refund to be repaid. If too much time has passed and you no longer wish to keep the item, you can write "Refused - Return To Sender" on the bubble mailer and desposit it back into a Canada Post box at your convenience."

There is zero point in putting any time and effort into these things. If it is a genuine customer, there is nothing you can do to find their package. If it is a scam, they aren't repaying you anyways. It's a sunk cost at that point.

If you look at the buyer's feedback (received as a buyer and left for others) and notice they have a very high amount of feedbacks pointing to items not arriving, you can contact eBay's CSR and also report the buyer. This doesn't help you, you will still have to refund them. It helps other sellers. While INRs aren't a huge thing, and some of them are genuine, if everybody reported the obvious ones with tons of bad feedback, less of them would happen.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I'm assuming you're following up on this thread that you started a little while ago:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Does-americans-scam-more-than-canadians/m-p/494664

There's a good post on that thread from someone with recent experience sending merchandise to the US by letterpost, and I think you should have another look at it.  My sense from that post and your posts is that there's the very real possibility that at least some of those letterpost shipments that you're sending to the US aren't making it to their destinations.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I believe (and am willing to be corrected) that when we send a Message within a Dispute, that we would be allowed to include in that Message our Paypal address, to make it easy for the honest seller, and most are honest if annoyed and/or lazy, to repay when the item does arrive.

And I second @pjcdn2005  that confirming shipment on shipment is a useful tactic. I just put it into my feedback, which I leave immediately. Useful to me as well, since eBay no longer dates FB.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

I would not think of it as ghosting.  Folks buy from all kinds of platforms, and once an item is not received when expected and they are refunded, most just mentally shut it down and move on.   

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

eBay gods were with me on this one, after ignoring everything buyer on the last day simply answered 'received' and closed the case. Could be legit but i really have the feeling it was scam attempt remorses. And this is why leaving those cases open until the last day is a good thing to do. Saved a $50 loss. 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

That is great that it was received and ended in your favour. You are right always leave it to the last day, sometimes there really are just bizarre delays and impatient buyers.

I once had a US buyer who had opened a case and been refunded (was patient and had waited full time). About a week later the buyer messaged me he had received the item and said he "sent me money in the mail to replace refunded amount" - said they got my return address from package. Believe it or not the money/cash really did arrive to me in US dollar bills! Some people just panic when their item doesn't arrive on time, even though it's no fault of ours!

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Agree, no need to be hasty to settle up.  Good to send messages to make a connection, even if you get no response.  

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I think some shipments are just slow nowadays. I bought something shipped via lettermail from Ontario and it took 3 weeks to arrive... I still left 5 stars positive feedback and just felt annoyed by Canada Post lol. I bought the item intending to use for my trip, I checked the mailbox before leaving the house and still found nothing, and my mom saw it in the mail after dropping me off at the airport...... 🙃

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

I get a decent amount of "repayers", but I live in a safer selling category.....

Just curious, what categories are considered safe and what are unsafe?

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

There isn't a master list, I know that my (postage stamps) world is relatively safe "mailorder" has been in use for over a 100 years in this category, I know the "used cell phone" world is not....amongst others from what one sees here....

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

In my opinion anything that appeals to the "criminal demographic", the population group that is most likely to be involved with police and the judiciary.

That's male, 15-35, unmarried (or equivalent), and living rural.

But I would also include dolls and horse tack as difficult which really don't fit with that demographic.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

what are unsafe?

Electronic, trading cards, computers, video games. Basically the categories with an overall younger audience and/or items swap possibilities.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply