Canada Post 2018 parcel changes

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/assets/pdf/business/parcelRate_2018_OoC_en.pdf

Highlights:

1. Light Packet dies. Small Packet and Tracked Packet get an additional 0-100g price range to help compensate.

2. Expedited Parcel (Canada) gets a volumetric change. Starting January 15 the divisor will be 5000 instead of 6000.  This will push some parcel sizes into a higher price range. Regular parcel will remain unchanged with a 6000 divisor. So for some sizes Regular Parcel may be a better price than a discounted Expedited Parcel price.

3. Domestic prices will be up about 4% and the rest of the world up around 1.2%

4. Manual Small Packet labels will be phased out -- bar codes will be required (even if they are not tracked).

Actual 2018 parcel rates still to be released.

More: https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=service_and_price_ch

-..-

Message 1 of 208
latest reply
207 REPLIES 207

Re: Canada Post 2018 parcel changes

@realjazz-123 wrote:

Great way to start the new year with a sad laugh.

2018 Postal rates

To send ONE lp (viny lrecord) to the far east (Japan, etc) where most buyers reside, regular airmail is now $23,.29. The same package of ONE lp sent with tracking is now $85.38!!! ONE lp slightly heavier than a normal lp weight  is $43.84 untracked!!!

Any other way to add the possible final nail to the box?                   

Nails...  You wait until the 2018 postal rates actually start on January 15 -- anything you paid for this week is at the old 2017 rate.

-..-

Message 81 of 208
latest reply

GULP!!! I hear the sound of an approaching hammer...

Message 82 of 208
latest reply

I do the same.  I find it easier and faster than printing it out.  I have no desire to weigh every item and measure the size of packages, nor do I care to be upset because lot of times it won't print.  Also, I lost too much money when a label was voided and I never got a refund (Payment still pending 6 years later).

Message 83 of 208
latest reply

@gifts_of_elegance wrote:

I do the same.  I find it easier and faster than printing it out.  I have no desire to weigh every item and measure the size of packages, nor do I care to be upset because lot of times it won't print.  Also, I lost too much money when a label was voided and I never got a refund (Payment still pending 6 years later).

If that's the case, you call after 14 business days and have the matter settled, whether that's through paypal or your credit card provider used to fund the paypal transaction. I've never waited six years for a refund. 

Message 84 of 208
latest reply

When I logged into my Canada post account, the new price sheets are out.

https://www.canadapost.ca/assets/pdf/smb/2018_Parcel_PriceGuide_SFSB_level_1-en.pdf

Message 85 of 208
latest reply

I'm so sad that the light packet 300g level will be gone...
Message 86 of 208
latest reply

I compared a couple of the new prices to the current CP prices using the minimum savings page. It looks like in some cases some of the US and International prices may work out to be less or very similar to the current prices. I'm just comparing the listed prices, not the current Shippo or Paypal prices that we are receiving.

For example:

Current US price- min. business savings for up to 100 grams; 101gr-250gr;  251gr-500gr; 501gr -1kg, 

light packet   6.84;8.60;11.75;

small packet   8.49;8.49; 11.15;16.60

tracked packet 16.52;16.52;17.81; 20.29

New prices for up to 100 gr on CP site

light packet eliminated

small packet 6.94; 8.49; 11.15; 16.59

tracked packet 12.30; 15.68; 16.90; 19.25

Message 87 of 208
latest reply

@kcgwynne wrote:

When I logged into my Canada post account, the new price sheets are out.

Thanks for mentioning.
Still can't find an over-the-counter file yet, but I'll take what I can get.

All 4 levels of Solutions for Small Business (each has different prices):

Level 1 ($0-$2499 annual shipping purchased excluding tax):
www.canadapost.ca/assets/pdf/smb/2018_Parcel_PriceGuide_SFSB_level_1-en.pdf

Level 2 ($2500-$4999 annual shipping purchased excluding tax):
www.canadapost.ca/assets/pdf/smb/2018_Parcel_PriceGuide_SFSB_level_2-en.pdf

Level 3 ($5000-$7999 annual shipping purchased excluding tax):
www.canadapost.ca/assets/pdf/smb/2018_Parcel_PriceGuide_SFSB_level_3-en.pdf

Level 4 ($7500+ in annual shipping purchased excluding tax):
www.canadapost.ca/assets/pdf/smb/2018_Parcel_PriceGuide_SFSB_level_4-en.pdf

Tracked Packet -- page 29 with the 31 countries that it can be used for on page 28

Small Packet -- page 31 with the 10 world country zones on page 30.

-.--

Message 88 of 208
latest reply

For selling my CD's (150 grams)

I calculated that all of Europe is Rate code 2 and will cost $10.41,

Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore is Rate Code 4 and it will cost 11.32 and then

Australia and New Zealand is Rate code 5 and it will cost 11.72 to ship one CD.  

I guess Canada Post will then put taxes on top of that so what use to cost me 10.10 in light packet has now gone up for Australia, New Zealand almost $2.00.

It is getting really expensive to ship internationally now.  I sell about 20% to Europe, Asia and Australia, so those sales will fall off.  

I sure hope that Canada post continues their discounts after Jan 15/18

Message 89 of 208
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

For selling my CD's (150 grams)

I calculated that all of Europe is Rate code 2 and will cost $10.41,

Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore is Rate Code 4 and it will cost 11.32 and then

Australia and New Zealand is Rate code 5 and it will cost 11.72 to ship one CD.  

I guess Canada Post will then put taxes on top of that so what use to cost me 10.10 in light packet has now gone up for Australia, New Zealand almost $2.00.

There are NO taxes collected on shipping outside Canada (if the value is over $5).

Europe, code 2 Small Packet using Shippo or Paypal is currently $8.39 until January 14 -- so using Light Packet was costing you $1.71 extra in 2017 for Europe.

If the Shippo/paypal small packet discounts disappear I'll be looking at using manual Small Packet paid using discounted stamps.

Plus I will also take look at bundling 2 cds together (that fit under the 250g limit) -- ship two for the same price as one (at 150g).

-..-

Message 90 of 208
latest reply

Thanks for the advice regarding the taxes.  I should have been using small packet with the discount, oh well.

Message 91 of 208
latest reply

I've used the online Customs form multiple times now and found the QR code difficult to use. The postal clerk will have to scan it  5 or 6 times (sometimes more) before it works. Tried different things like making it larger or turning the phone screen brighter but still takes a awhile.

Anyone else run into difficulties?

Message 92 of 208
latest reply

Only when I had a screen protector attached to my smartphone. Once it was gone, no.

Message 93 of 208
latest reply

We never got mine to work. I did not know about a screen protector affecting it. Normally I'm a paper guy, only used the phone when my printer was broken.

I'll have to remember this next time I need to use the phone although prying the otterbox apart just to be able to have the PO scan it will be a pain...
Message 94 of 208
latest reply

I don’t have a fancy phone but I do have an iPad. Haven’t had any problems with scanning from the iPad.

Message 95 of 208
latest reply

My smartphone is anything but fancy. It was, however, the screen protector that seemed to make the QR code difficult to scan; once it was gone, the code scanned as expected. The postal clerk at the counter indicated he had long-term problems with scanning the QR codes when screen protectors were in place. I'm merely passing along what I saw first-hand and headed second-hand. Results may vary. 

Message 96 of 208
latest reply

If I remember correctly...

The cost for postage in these Canada Post Tables....  are baseline prices, and 

Do Not contain the Fuel Surcharge.

The current  fuel surcharge for parcels shipped using Expedited Parcel is 10.5 % 

How the fuel surcharge changed sometime during 2017.... At this time last year it was about 3 %

Fuel surcharges..... Link to 

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=fuel_surcharges_on_m

Message 97 of 208
latest reply

@mjwl2006momcqueen wrote:

Only when I had a screen protector attached to my smartphone. Once it was gone, no.

Forgot about the protector. I'd rather not remove it, so I guess I'll try printing the QR code at home and bring it with me.

Message 98 of 208
latest reply

I do the same.  My feeling is that there will be a new form that will have a bar code on it.  As an example say a person who only ships a birthday present to the United States once a year brings their parcel to their local post office to mail to the USA.  They choose to send it small packet air mail.  They will be given a form to fill out just like now except instead of using the CN22 form it will be a different form.  The clerk isn't going to say you have to go home and fill out an online customs form and then comeback.  Doesn't make sense.

Message 99 of 208
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

... The cost for postage in these Canada Post Tables  are baseline prices, and Do Not contain the Fuel Surcharge.

The current  fuel surcharge for parcels shipped using Expedited Parcel is 10.5 %....

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=fuel_surcharges_on_m

That is correct. The  PDF parcel rate documents have the base rates and the fuel surcharge (adjusted up or down every month) is added to those rates (for the postal services that have a fuel surcharge).

The Canada Post online calculator does include the fuel surcharge in the calculation.

www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

-..-

Message 100 of 208
latest reply