Canada Post Expedited Shipping Label Ignores Ebay Dimensions Bug

townpost
Community Member

Something is wrong with the interface between Ebay and Canada Post Expedited Shipping. As a result I was charged twice for shipping and the total cost of shipping was more than I sold the item for.  Ebay sent me a friendly email that they will be charging my Credit card for the difference.

I enter the dimensions 20x15x10 (see screenshot)

townpost_1-1709697996042.png

But the shipping label shows 5x5x5cm

townpost_2-1709698053111.png

I contacted Ebay yesterday, they said they would get back to me within 24 hours but so far I haven't heard anything back.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: Canada Post Expedited Shipping Label Ignores Ebay Dimensions Bug

@townpost wrote:

Something is wrong with the interface between Ebay and Canada Post Expedited Shipping. As a result I was charged twice for shipping and the total cost of shipping was more than I sold the item for.  Ebay sent me a friendly email that they will be charging my Credit card for the difference.

I contacted Ebay yesterday, they said they would get back to me within 24 hours but so far I haven't heard anything back.

devon@ebay 

Is this being looked into? Super urgent this gets fixed ASAP please!

-Lotz

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

Do you know the proper channel to report a bug like this? I'm a new seller here

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

@townpost wrote:

Do you know the proper channel to report a bug like this? I'm a new seller here

@townpost 

devon@ebay 

This issue has been reported for a number of months. Here is one of the current discussions on the topic. See post 31 for what "could" be going on.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Expedited-Lite-Label-Size-Discrepancy-Charged-Full-Exped...

The board to report this to would be here: 

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Community-eBay-Site-Issues/bd-p/Issues

-Lotz

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@townpost wrote:

devon@ebay 

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! I am having this escalated now and will hopefully have some insight to report back with soon. 

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@townpost wrote:

devon@ebay 

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! I am having this escalated now and will hopefully have some insight to report back with soon. 

devon@ebay  Thanks. Appreciated. There seems to be a steady stream on both sites for sellers being re-charged when using eBay Labels. Majority focused on CP and Fedex. Both having to do with cubed weight not applied correctly either when applicable or accurately.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

What was the second amount that you were charged?  Was it the exact amount of the label?  The label isn't always charged for immediately so it is possible that the funds for the sale were deposited into your account and when the postage charges came in you had no funds on eBay so they charged your credit card.

Your listing shows that you are using expedited lite and when I put in your dimensions into the calculator and then use 5x5x5 the dollar amount is exactly the same for expedited lite.   The difference for the regular expedited rate was slightly different but the difference was under a dollar. 

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

@townpost wrote:

The 5x5x5 display has been happening since the start. Don't worry about that, it isn't the issue. I think Canada Post and eBay are using it for some type of internal reporting.

Your problem is likely that you are right up against the expedited lite size limits. The volumetric size (LxWxH) of 20x15x10 is 3000 and the cutoff is 3220 for expedited lite. If your actual measurements are off even a tiny bit (especially height, and remember you have to round up) you'd be over the limit and would be charged the full rate price.

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

What was the second amount that you were charged?  Was it the exact amount of the label?  The label isn't always charged for immediately so it is possible that the funds for the sale were deposited into your account and when the postage charges came in you had no funds on eBay so they charged your credit card.

Your listing shows that you are using expedited lite and when I put in your dimensions into the calculator and then use 5x5x5 the dollar amount is exactly the same for expedited lite.   The difference for the regular expedited rate was slightly different but the difference was under a dollar. 

@pjcdn2005 

From the get go Expedited lite has been behaving this way. It's been reported in multiple discussions. When the seller goes to create a label they enter the ACTUAL measurements of the parcel. When it prints it defaults to 5 x 5 x 5 cms. Which is not really an actual box size that anyone would use. It would fit in the palm of your hand. Then down the road a week to 10 days later the seller just gets a follow up charge with no explanation other than referencing the original shipment. At that point the seller is unable to charge extra. One and done. 

-Lotz

PS. #1 - Approx 6 months and before there were inconsistencies to billing with eBay labels. As of late mine have all processed in 1 to 2 days. Have even had a few I processed on a Saturday that billed on Sunday before being dropped at post office.

PS #2- There is a similar behaviour with the customs form using ebay labels. The seller enters the country of origin. Example USA. When the label prints it prints Province/Country. This is actually targeted  more towards manufacturers vs resellers. (Nafta COO) Also been going on for ages. Because this is a legal document the seller is certifying(signing) the information is correct. It no longer is after printing and should never be changed manually. It's a digital form. Even seller added notes are hidden from view and can only be read with a reader.

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

The 5x5x5 display has been happening since the start. Don't worry about that, it isn't the issue. I think Canada Post and eBay are using it for some type of internal reporting.

Your problem is likely that you are right up against the expedited lite size limits. The volumetric size (LxWxH) of 20x15x10 is 3000 and the cutoff is 3220 for expedited lite. If your actual measurements are off even a tiny bit (especially height, and remember you have to round up) you'd be over the limit and would be charged the full rate price.

@flipistics 

IF the seller is typing in the correct accurate measurements into system should do the math at that time and give seller a yay or nay to the parcel and the service. Then the seller would know to upgrade to the next service when necessary.  Because the inputted measurements do not display on the printed label it is difficult to know what went off the rails if they get a secondary charge (after the fact) because that charge does not explain what faux pas the seller made so they don't do it again. <insert slap seller fingers here..where applicable>.  Extremely important to round up but for transparency the inputted data should display on the label. That is what seller is confirming.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 46
latest reply

From the get go Expedited lite has been behaving this way. It's been reported in multiple discussions. When the seller goes to create a label they enter the ACTUAL measurements of the parcel. When it prints it defaults to 5 x 5 x 5 cms. Which is not really an actual box size that anyone would use. It would fit in the palm of your hand. Then down the road a week to 10 days later the seller just gets a follow up charge with no explanation other than referencing the original shipment. At that point the seller is unable to charge extra. One and done

_________

Yes I realize that at least 2 other posters have reported being charged more after the fact. But that doesn't mean it is related to the smaller dimensions on the label. Canada Post compares the actual size to what we have paid and I'm sure that information is on the bar code or they have access to it via the bar code.  If I have paid $8 for a label and that is the correct amount that weight and it fits within the lite parameters, I'm not going to be charged more. In fact I've never been charged more even though my labels do say the incorrect 5x5x5.

As I mentioned earlier I checked the ebay calculator and if I was sending a package the size of the op's actual package, it would cost me the same as if I was sending a 5x5x5 package so the measurements were not why they were charged extra.

As @flipistics mentioned, it is more likely that the parcel's measurements are very close to the maximum for Ex lite so if they were a bit over, the seller would be charged for the difference between Ex lite and Expedited.   Or, it's possible that a mistake was made by the machine that measures the packages..perhaps there was a package close by the first one. and they were measured together though that is more probably more unlikely.

Afaik the pricing for Ex lite  (unlike Expedited parcel) is based only on weight and distance. A wrong dimension should not affect the price if that's the case UNLESS the size is too big for that service.

@dinomitesales   Do you know if expedited lite prices are based just on weight and location rather than dimensional?

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@dinomitesales   Do you know if expedited lite prices are based just on weight and location rather than dimensional?

This was my understanding of how it works, but that was solely based on the information provided by eBay when the service was first announced. I don't believe they outright said "dimensions aren't a factor", rather they just didn't mention dimensions at all, instead just mentioning the 200g weight limit. I (as did others) took that to mean that dimensions were irrelevant for Expedited Lite.

From the get go I actually figured the 5x5x5 thing was intentional - a way for Canada Post's computer systems to differentiate an "Expedited Lite" label from a regular "Expedited Parcel" label (since other than that they are identical and both say "Expedited Parcel" at the top). But who knows - we need an official confirmation from someone at the shipping team that was involved in the negotiations with Canada Post for this service.

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

@townpost wrote:

devon@ebay 

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! I was able to hear back and this is what I was told from the product team:

"The extra charge on this seller's account  label was due to the weight, not dimensions. The declared weight was 100g, but CPC's measurement was 620g, too heavy for the Lite service." 

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@townpost wrote:

devon@ebay 

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! I was able to hear back and this is what I was told from the product team:

"The extra charge on this seller's account  label was due to the weight, not dimensions. The declared weight was 100g, but CPC's measurement was 620g, too heavy for the Lite service." 

@townpost 

devon@ebay  going forward will any secondary charges include an explanation? Would be very helpful.

-Lotz

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

According to eBay "The extra charge on this seller's account  label was due to the weight, not dimensions. The declared weight was 100g, but CPC's measurement was 620g, too heavy for the Lite service." 

VERIFY THE WEIGHT OF YOUR ITEMS

@townpost wrote:

Message 15 of 46
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

According to eBay "The extra charge on this seller's account  label was due to the weight, not dimensions. The declared weight was 100g, but CPC's measurement was 620g, too heavy for the Lite service." 

VERIFY THE WEIGHT OF YOUR ITEMS

@townpost wrote:

@brettjet38 

@townpost 

It would be good to know if ALL of these reported situations the seller entered in the incorrect weight? I can't see that being the case considering the number of times this has been reported.

If the software was programmed properly and measurements were entered accurately the system should catch that Expedited Lite is not a valid service and have blocked immediately. Same thing that happens when you choose 2.01 kg for USA tracked. You get an error message and you are told to correct before it will let you create/complete a listing. It shouldn't be overriding CP limits for services. I understand that first if is a biggy!!!

-Lotz

As a side checking this sellers last shown sale, it was for a power supply with Expedited Lite chosen. The item would have definitely been over 200 grams and caused the re-billing. If the seller just gets a charge with no explanation, it does not give them important intel so they can be cautious going forward. These kinds of mistakes are VERY easy to make if someone is rushing to create a listing and doesn't proof. 

Message 16 of 46
latest reply

Wait, so this entire post was a result of OP putting the wrong weight?

@townpost - is this true? Was your item over 200g in weight? If so, why did you put 100g? 

Message 17 of 46
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

Wait, so this entire post was a result of OP putting the wrong weight?

@townpost - is this true? Was your item over 200g in weight? If so, why did you put 100g? 

Wow, yeah, that'll do it.  I just weighed a similar power adapter and it came in around 375g. Add a box, packaging material, etc and 620g sounds about right.

Message 18 of 46
latest reply

Well I'm confused.  If a weight over 200 gr is entered on the calculator the expedited lite option would have disappeared.  So was the charge was for a different parcel than the  the screenshot showed? Or did eBay pass on the incorrect information or ??

Message 19 of 46
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Well I'm confused.  If a weight over 200 gr is entered on the calculator the expedited lite option would have disappeared.  So was the charge was for a different parcel than the  the screenshot showed? Or did eBay pass on the incorrect information or ??

I assume the op just accidentally hit the wrong key when entering the weight and didn't realize it. At least they have an answer now. There's no way that thing came in anywhere close to 100g if that's the item they're referring to.

Message 20 of 46
latest reply