Canada Post Flat Rate Box Price Increase Effective Mar. 6, 2023

Just a head's up for people that regularly use Canada Post's flat rate boxes: they've quietly announced a price increase to go into effect on Monday, March 6, 2023. Post offices were given little notice of this increase, and I don't think there was any public announcement. Reason cited as a response to increased fuel costs.

Small is going from $18.99 to $19.99 (5.3% increase).

Medium is going from $23.99 to $24.99 (4.2% increase).
Large is going from $29.99 to $32.99 (10% increase).

If you regularly use these boxes it might be beneficial to stock up before Monday. If your local post office is out of stock they can be ordered directly from canadapost.ca in cases of 12 (free shipping applies for all orders over $25). Or, you can place an order directly at any Canada Post location, pay at the counter, and your order will be shipped to your home or business. If anyone has a paraticular affinity for the folks at their local CPC outlet you would be helping them out quite a bit if you placed an order in person, as Canada Post's "Sales Focus" (a sales target goal that post offices try to meet) for the months of March and April is for processing a certain number of in-person orders from customers (called "Direct Ship" orders). If you want to do this just go in and say you would like to make a "Direct Ship" order for flat rate boxes (or they should know what you're talking about if you say you would like to order some flat rate boxes to be shipped to your home). Preferably go and make the order during the day when it's more likely that a manager will be present; part-time staff may struggle with processing the order as it is an uncommon transaction. If you use stamps or any other Canada Post product they can be ordered in the same way, as can coins and other collectible items.

Don't forget to provide your Solutions for Small Business account number when making any order (online or at the counter) - you don't get a discount on the flat rate boxes, but any money spent does count towards your annual spend that determines your Savings Level.
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Canada Post Flat Rate Box Price Increase Effective Mar. 6, 2023

Thanks for the heads up I will have to get a few more. I've actually started having a few people in other provinces ask me if I would use one, one even telling me the price! She thought it was $18 (rounded down and didn't add the tax) but little bits add up, after all the $2.46 tax difference becomes $5 by the time the eBay fees for the box come in to play!).

One of my repeat buyers in BC also asks me to use them so I better have them on hand. I am in Ontario by the way. I thought it was interesting that buyers not only know about the boxes but know the price! One even knew exactly how many Barbies fit into one!

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

Thanks for the heads up I will have to get a few more. I've actually started having a few people in other provinces ask me if I would use one, one even telling me the price! She thought it was $18 (rounded down and didn't add the tax) but little bits add up, after all the $2.46 tax difference becomes $5 by the time the eBay fees for the box come in to play!).

One of my repeat buyers in BC also asks me to use them so I better have them on hand. I am in Ontario by the way. I thought it was interesting that buyers not only know about the boxes but know the price! One even knew exactly how many Barbies fit into one!

I've been using more often too as of late. Try to keep at least 1 on hand at all times. Saves trying to pack something up at the post office. Best to check first though if it will be a bargain for what you are hoping to send. It really depends on weight of your item and how far its going. They are definitely more advantageous for sellers located in central Canada and shipping far west or east. Not so much when you are shipping 1 province over. Fortunately with a lot of barbies they can be "bent" to fit in the box. Not as easy with a coffee mug. (I do not recommend bending a coffee mug.) Hey, just sayin!!! As for HST/PST provinces, gotta love Alberta and GST only!!! 👍

-Lotz 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Yes, location makes all the difference, it is not cheaper for Ontarior and Quebec for me (and to your point Alberta has less tax, lucky you!) Also you are right, size matters! They certainly don't work for everything - usually too wide (seems wasteful for one doll) but too thin for like you say a mug or wider, I wish they had a few other size variations that would work better. But I understand the sizing of these boxes stack really well so I guess that's why they do it this way.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

Yes, location makes all the difference, it is not cheaper for Ontarior and Quebec for me (and to your point Alberta has less tax, lucky you!) Also you are right, size matters! They certainly don't work for everything - usually too wide (seems wasteful for one doll) but too thin for like you say a mug or wider, I wish they had a few other size variations that would work better. But I understand the sizing of these boxes stack really well so I guess that's why they do it this way.

Yes, maybe something 6 x 6 x 6 (15 cm x 15 cm x 15 cm) or 8 x 8 x 8 (20 cm x 20 cm x 20 cm) would work much better for many sellers as an option. 

-Lotz

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I agree to the need for a variety of sizes beyond the 3 sizes currently available, but I suppose even if CP increased that,  there would never be enough sizes to suit all purposes,all needs, all senders...

I do think there is a need for a more square box, as well as a box with depth of more than 19 cm.

Using the sizes that are currently available to us, I do find myself on several occasions, stuffing the box with light weight tissue to prevent movement of smaller items for which those flat rate boxes are several dollars cheaper than the Expedited Parcel rates. At least it's not showing up at the recipient's door looking like an Amazon box > a tiny item in a big box with very little fill LOL!

I have noticed though that the fuel surcharges are leveling out and/or decreasing, so always have to be mindful of checking the Expedited rates before using the flat rate box.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

Just a head's up for people that regularly use Canada Post's flat rate boxes: they've quietly announced a price increase to go into effect on Monday, March 6, 2023. Post offices were given little notice of this increase, and I don't think there was any public announcement. Reason cited as a response to increased fuel costs.

Small is going from $18.99 to $19.99 (5.3% increase).

Medium is going from $23.99 to $24.99 (4.2% increase).
Large is going from $29.99 to $32.99 (10% increase).

My last Expedited Parcel sent nationally was about a year ago, and if I recall correctly, the $3.00+ CAD fuel surcharge on that shipment was enough to make me switch to Flat Rate Boxes exclusively. Same thing regionally with those expandable XPressPost Bubble Mailers.

Unless you have odd-shaped products travelling to remote places, prepaids almost always pencil out better than calculated after you factor in Canada Post's floating rate fuel surcharge.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@msau4301 wrote:

Yes, maybe something 6 x 6 x 6 (15 cm x 15 cm x 15 cm) or 8 x 8 x 8 (20 cm x 20 cm x 20 cm) would work much better for many sellers as an option. 

-Lotz

During Canada Post's Flat Rate Box pilot, I submitted several such recommendations...the most obvious being simply rotating the current Small box 90 degrees, cutting it in half so that its former width becomes its new length, and you now have a pretty good general use Media box. And 2 of those side by side would neatly occupy exactlly the same footprint as a Small Flat Rate box.

If CP offered something like that for $15 bucks nationally, it would be an overnight no-brainer for sellers of Books, Videos, Games, CDs, Electronics Accessories,...even Trading Cards...or just gew-gaws.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Yeah, the flat rate boxes (small especially) are definitely a good value when compared to the counter rates for anything going out of the same region you're in, and especially good for anything going to remote/northern communities.

Anytime someone comes in to the post office I work at with a loose item, and it'll fit in the small box, and is going further than outside the boundaries of Winnipeg (where I'm located), I just automatically tell them the Small Flat Rate box is the cheapest option, especially considering any other option would require them having to purchase an (admittedly overpriced) Canada Post branded bubble envelope or shipping box. If it's a really small item then the Regional Xpresspost Bubble Envelope is a bit cheaper, but if they want the protection of a box you can't go wrong with the Small Flat Rate.

I have also occasionally messaged sellers on eBay asking if they could ship in a Flat Rate Box if I'm interested in the product and know it will fit inside one - the Calculated Shipping rates shown on the listing often exceed the cost of the box by a large margin.

Fun(?) fact: the post office I work at was one of only a couple of pilot locations for the boxes here In Winnipeg - we sold them for a few years before they were ever rolled out nationally. When I started at the post office back in 2016 or so I think the small one was around $12.49 so you can see how much they've increased over the years.

They've always been the same size, with the three options, but there briefly existed a fourth box that was intended just for remote/northern/fly-in communities. I guess Canada Post realized they were losing too much money shipping these boxes to remote locations so they introduced this "Air Stage" box that was the same size as the Small flat rate box, but cost like $29.99 or something like that. They pulled it after like a month because it was just too confusing lol. There was a laminated card we had with a long list of postal codes that required the Air Stage box, so if someone wanted to send something in a flat rate box we first had to ask them where it was going down to the specificity of the postal code, cross-reference with the list, then tell them which box to use. And there was no way to "upgrade" a regular flat rate box to an 'Air Stage' box, so if someone bought the wrong box they were out of luck. I think we sold a single one before Canada Post cancelled the pilot and asked us to return all the Air Stage boxes lol. Shortly after that there was a price increase which I guess helped to offset some of the cost they were losing shipping to remote/northern communities. I'm sure there are still a few of these boxes floating around out there, forgotten in some companies back room or something - if one ever surfaced it would be a pretty rare item for collectors of Canada Post-related things lol.

I've never heard any rumblings of a differently shaped box - I have to imagine they've done extensive R&D to determine that the three sizes provided are most cost-effective/efficient for transport while also being of a size/shape suitable for the most amount of people.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

Fun(?) fact: the post office I work at was one of only a couple of pilot locations for the boxes here In Winnipeg - we sold them for a few years before they were ever rolled out nationally. When I started at the post office back in 2016 or so I think the small one was around $12.49 so you can see how much they've increased over the years.

I still have a few of the eBay branded Canada Post flat rate boxes from back in the late 90s or early 00s. I can't remember for sure, but I think they were $5 each and didn't have the 5kg limit. I have no idea what would happen if I tried to use one!

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

ll have a few of the eBay branded Canada Post flat rate boxes from back in the late 90s or early 00s. I can't remember for sure, but I think they were $5 each and didn't have the 5kg limit. I have no idea what would happen if I tried to use one!

That's before my time for sure! Do you have a pic? I didn't even know such a thing existed or that Canada Post had dabbled with pre-paid postage boxes before lol. 

I have a few eBay/Canada Post branded poly mailers (you were still able to order them from Canada Post up to a few years ago, I'm not sure if they're still available - they have the old eBay logo on them). They're just regular poly mailers though, no postage included lol.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

@flipistics wrote:

ll have a few of the eBay branded Canada Post flat rate boxes from back in the late 90s or early 00s. I can't remember for sure, but I think they were $5 each and didn't have the 5kg limit. I have no idea what would happen if I tried to use one!

That's before my time for sure! Do you have a pic? I didn't even know such a thing existed or that Canada Post had dabbled with pre-paid postage boxes before lol. 

I have a few eBay/Canada Post branded poly mailers (you were still able to order them from Canada Post up to a few years ago, I'm not sure if they're still available - they have the old eBay logo on them). They're just regular poly mailers though, no postage included lol.

The boxes are in storage. I'll have to try to remember to take a photo next time I run into them.

You can still buy eBay / Canada Post branded poly mailers off Canada Post's business site, but they don't say what size they are. I mean, who would ever want to know that when ordering a product? They're sold in lots of 25 for $3.50.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for the heads up. I might pick up a few months worth this weekend. 

The small flat rate boxes are now a good value. They used to almost never be cheaper than Snap Ship. Now they are either very close, or cheaper. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@doc_scribe wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

-Lotz

During Canada Post's Flat Rate Box pilot, I submitted several such recommendations...the most obvious being simply rotating the current Small box 90 degrees, cutting it in half so that its former width becomes its new length, and you now have a pretty good general use Media box. And 2 of those side by side would neatly occupy exactlly the same footprint as a Small Flat Rate box.

If CP offered something like that for $15 bucks nationally, it would be an overnight no-brainer for sellers of Books, Videos, Games, CDs, Electronics Accessories,...even Trading Cards...or just gew-gaws.

Some anectdotal good news from my local postmaster this morning: Canada Post will [FINALLY] introduce a new National 'Smaller-than-Small' Flat Rate Box this September.  I'm not aware any official announcement, including dimensions, but preliminary pricing has been pegged around $16 bucks after GST discount.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

You can still buy eBay / Canada Post branded poly mailers off Canada Post's business site, but they don't say what size they are. I mean, who would ever want to know that when ordering a product? They're sold in lots of 25 for $3.50.

The Canada Post site used to have details in the Specification tab (currently empty).

Size is 406mm by 305mm  (or around 16 by 12 inches). With adhesive strip. Thick plastic.

I consider it a good quality envelope. Works out to 14 cents per mailer before sales tax.

-;-

Message 15 of 15
latest reply