Canada Post Fuel Surcharge Increase for December

Effective Nov 29, 2022 the fuel surcharge will be 39.5 % for domestic shipments and 23 % for Intl shipments.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9303748/shipping-canada-post-inflation/

Original announcement below from September.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/sending/rates-dimensions/fuel-surcharges-on...

Just in time for Christmas mailings. Not really Ho Ho Ho kind of news!!!

-Lotz

https://www.thestar.com/business/2022/11/24/sending-a-package-through-canada-post-is-going-to-cost-e...

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Canada Post Fuel Surcharge Increase for December

won't be much change for mself going forward = I ship to USA & Canada only anyway and my shipping costs were increased already to reflect fuel surcharge rate increases ...item prices have also been increased a few cents here and there too, which help when these fuel surcharges increase ...

It is what it is ...nothing we have any control over, so just gotta ride it out...

Buyers are going to have to decide what and when they want to purchase and what price they are willing to pay...

For myself, Flat rate boxes are now an option for items over 500 g. weight and/or that cannot be shipped oversize letter rate within Canada...for USA shipments Small Packet and Tracked Packet are being utilized, same as has been for the past 2 years....

I alternate my item listings from month to month as I have a variety of items in a variety of categories and will utilize only some of the categories at this time of year, based on what categories have the most potential for any sales at all.. I will just keep truckin' on best as can...I  am not in this for income= this is a hobby for me  and any monies from sales is just extra $ to spend on whatever I so choose...

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

Correction: your Transit tax in Victoria is 5.5¢ per liter. In Vancouver it's 18.5¢. Since Abbotsford is just outside the tax zone, it used to be that fuel was that much cheaper there. However, in the past couple of years, I have observed the discount to be only about 5¢, meaning drivers in the valley are getting screwed.

Filled up in Sumas WA yesterday for $1.27CAD per liter!

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

Curious to know how Canadian sellers are going to deal with this conundrum going forward. For anyone that uses flat rate shipping it would be extremely labour intensive to be updating rates monthly...and/or weekly to be close to in the ballpark. Know any University non working graduates willing to work for much less than minimum wage updating listings? 😆 All I can afford!!!  Thinking of adding local pick up only!!! No Shipping!!! 

-Lotz

This is where Businness Policies is GREAT!!!! I can change 15,000 listings in 2 mins with 1 edit to increase a shipping price (then it takes 5-45mins to process depending on the amount of items in a policy)  of course there is the odd error, as this is ebay afterall lol. But you get an error report and then I just have to manually change like 5 listings.

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

I pay directly at the Canada Post outlets.

I use my CP card for small businesses on every purchase.

Sometimes I don't get the discount.

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

@needsmorerobots wrote:

I pay directly at the Canada Post outlets.

I use my CP card for small businesses on every purchase.

Sometimes I don't get the discount.

If you're paying at the counter you're getting less than or equal to a Level 1 Solutions for Small Business discount on your purchases (regardless of how much money you spend on postage in a year). On some services, that discount is 0% (Small Packet-USA and Small Packet-International, for example).

Always purchase your postage online to get the maximum discounts. For example, even with just a base level discount, the savings difference when buying a Tracked Packet-USA label online is 35% (5% off at the post office counter vs 40% off online).

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

devon@ebay    -    URGENT!!!

Hello Devon,

Are you able to confirm how proactive eBay is with adjusting the postage calculator when it comes to Canadapost and the fluctuating  Fuel Surcharge? If this is not done in a timely manner it can cause the incorrect amount to be charged to a buyer and seller having to cover the difference. See attached. There is no way for a seller to recover any discrepancy after the fact.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/sending/rates-dimensions/fuel-surcharges-on...

We are moving to weekly updates from September 5, 2022

We are now adjusting fuel surcharges weekly —up or down—as fuel prices change. Changes are applied the first Monday of each week and are reflected on your invoice.

We publish the new surcharges a few days in advance.

See post 10 below where seller was charged 2.00 above the quoted rate. Personally I haven't witnessed that (yet) but will be monitoring closely for future shipments.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! I have reached out to our Shipping Team on this and am currently waiting to hear back on an update to be able to share on this with you.

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

Next week the fuel surcharge drops from 39.5% to 37.0% (just in case people haven't seen it yet). It still needs to drop another 37%, but every bit helps! 🙂

International drops to 21.75%, 19.75%, and 20.5% respectively.

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

Next week the fuel surcharge drops from 39.5% to 37.0% (just in case people haven't seen it yet). It still needs to drop another 37%, but every bit helps! 🙂

International drops to 21.75%, 19.75%, and 20.5% respectively.

Anyone know if the fuel surcharge is included in the dollar amount to get to the next level for anyone that uses their SSB account to generate postage? Have a feeling I've paid a ton to that cause this year.

-Lotz

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Anyone know if the fuel surcharge is included in the dollar amount to get to the next level for anyone that uses their SSB account to generate postage? Have a feeling I've paid a ton to that cause this year.

-Lotz

As far as I can tell it includes fuel surcharge but not tax. I think it also subtracts any refunds. It doesn't seem to include any flat rate products. It doesn't include normal lettermail, but it *might* include the fee if you send it registered (not positive, but my numbers are a little off and that might explain it).

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

Actually, maybe it includes the free shipping days rather than the registered fee. That might also make up the difference I'm seeing.

Message 30 of 32
latest reply

Fuel surcharge drops to 34.5% on Monday, so if you have any packages to ship out, you might want to pay for the labels Monday morning.

Message 31 of 32
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

It doesn't include normal lettermail, but it *might* include the fee if you send it registered ...

I sent a fair bit of registered mail this year and it looks the basic lettermail cost is counted towards the SfSB savings level, but not the $9.75 registered surcharge.

Message 32 of 32
latest reply