Canada Post July 2018

In other not so great or wonderful news. The last thing Canadian sellers need the threat of!!!

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/07/12/canada-post-hellbent-on-labour-dispute-as-talks-conti...

-CM

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Canada Post July 2018

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

In other not so great or wonderful news. The last thing Canadian sellers need the threat of!!!

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/07/12/canada-post-hellbent-on-labour-dispute-as-talks-conti...

-CM

With Palecek why would that surprise you?

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I can't read that without getting angry, therefore I'm Filing it under Worry About This Later. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

The pension situation appears to be gone.  It appears that the Government of Canada had addressed this through legislation.

Postal banking would be more income for Canada Post... and then more money to pay the employees.....

The urban vs rural situation is the problem to be decided....  

--------------------------------------------------------

What we as primary users of Canada Post is to have Canada Post declared an essential service.

By definition, from the internet -----

Essential services may refer to a class of occupations that have been legislated by a government to have special restrictions in regard to labour actions, such as not being allowed to legally strike.

--------------------------------

A postal service can be defined as an essential service, specifically in relation to the people affected by a strike.....  and how that strike will affect those people.

Many of the sellers on the internet use  this option for selling as a supplementary source of income, and a strike, no matter how long will affect these people most significantly. 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

There are many small sellers online.

But more important there a few very large sellers online.

I hear from friends back in Ottawa that their new AZ shipping plant will hire 6000 workers.  That's 2000 on each shift if they run 24/7.

Very large from a single seller.*

Canada Post has said that they are more of a package handler nowadays than letters (and bills).

AZ will be involved in those talks.Not directly, but they will be listened to.

With luck, eBay may be there for the smaller seller, since I suspect there are more small sellers on eBay than on AZ.

I agree that from the union's perspective, with the pensions basically resolved, the rural/urban carriers will be the issue.

For management-- hmmm-- contracting out parcel delivery as they do now for Christmas surges?

*I know there are small sellers on AZ,I'm one, but most of AZ sales are made by AZ itself.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:
*I know there are small sellers on AZ, I'm one, but most of AZ sales are made by AZ itself.

First quarter of this year 52% of sales were made by 3rd party sellers (couldn't find a specific breakdown for the .CA region) -- but, since a lot of small sellers use the AZ warehouses to handle the shipping process, it still means that the A-river shipped the majority of sales. A big stick to shake at any post office.

-..-

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I have too little sales to worry about this *shrugs*

If it does happen then I'll just end all of my listings for good......
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I agree in that I have so few sales on eBay these days, that I'd not worry about it ...

I'd not list any items and/or would end active listings during any disruption of postal service.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:
... I hear from friends back in Ottawa that their new AZ shipping plant will hire 6000 workers.  That's 2000 on each shift if they run 24/7.

Way smaller.

1500 temporary construction jobs

600+ employees (although the Oct-Dec holiday season will get a big jump in temp labour)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/amazon-warehouse-official-announcement-orleans-1.4740392

https://globalnews.ca/news/4322551/amazon-ottawa-announcement/

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Right now it is mediation.... a discussion between the Union and Canada Post

and if things remain unresolved,  it becomes arbitration..... where one person decides what will happen.

and then if CUPW is unhappy after arbitration it will be a strike.

The main  problem remains  Urban vs Rural  postal workers.   and how the rural mail delivery people are paid less than the urban people....

Urban people are paid by the hour.... rural people are paid based on number of stops and distance travelled.

The federal government may get involved with respect to pay equity, as the urban group is mainly male, while the rural group is mainly female.  If pay equity is enforced with government intervention, CUPW will be happy.

The cost of rural mail deliver could go up dramatically

One gets the impression that if the government steps in and decides what should happen, there could be no strike.   Having a strike in the months before Christmas would be catastrophic for Canada Post..

and then ..... for all sellers on the internet....

---------------------------------------

A most interesting bit of information is the fact that parcel delivery has gone way up,  and lettermail has dropped  to a very, very  low level.

This change is the effect of the internet  on billing via email communication, and then internet sales and the requirement for delivery of parcels ....

and then...  how will the disappearance of Greyhound influence Canada Post?

---------------------------------------

Internet security has been and will continue to be a major concern.  We must be vigilant

-------------------------

If internet security disappears then the use of lettermeil will become more important...

As the years pass internet security  will be more and more of a problem .  Just look at all of the hacking that has occured  recently.  Hackers have become better and more better at what they do.

It is the hackers on the internet that could make lettermail a safer option for communication.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Many large corporations are promoting the use of email communication for billing  and general communication.

Canada Revenue Agency tried to go the way of 100 % of communication via the internet...  This lasted one year, as there were many people who chose to continue to use mail ... Canada Post....as opposed to the internet.  There will always be people who will choose not to use email via the internet.

There are also many people that do not have access to the internet...

One also has to understand that the internet is less secure than Canada Post lettermail

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

A most interesting bit of information is the fact that parcel delivery has gone way up,  and lettermail has dropped  to a very, very  low level.

This was predicted by Canada Post  a couple of years ago in an article in the G&M Report on Business.

What I found interesting was that the VP being interviewed claimed this was a return to the situation at the turn of the century (QueenVictoria's day).

and then...  how will the disappearance of Greyhound influence Canada Post?

I'm not sure it will make a huge difference. Canada Post already delivers 'everywhere' and is used by couriers as a sub-contractor for rural and isolated deliveries. 

It may be the saving for a few rural/isolated postal outlets. Our buyers may have to pick up their purchases at the Band Office instead of the shop where the Greyhound used to stop. Or the shop may become a postal outlet.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Every TIME liberals are in power in Canada, major strikes happen.  In Ontario, (liberals were just destroyed in the election) they've had a strike at a major university since Mar.  student's years are under threat because of it.  Trust liberals to wreck the business environment while continuing to spend like money grows on trees.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@2756anderson wrote:

Every TIME liberals are in power in Canada, major strikes happen....

Political brand name BS -- the last major post office strike/shutdown was under the Harper conservative government.

Strikes happen (in Canada) no matter which political party has power.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

The rural postal delivery situation has been interesting to observe over the last few years.

Throughout all the decades that I've resided in rural Ontario mail has been delivered to the roadside mailbox by private operators (using private vehicles) under contract to Canada Post.
In more recent times these private contractors also delivered to the new community mailboxes found in some rural villages as well. The closing of some village post offices (which hosted P.O. Boxes for village residents) resulted in community mailboxes being installed in those communities.

This decades long method of delivery changed (at least in this area) soon after the announcing of the end of urban door to door delivery.
I realize that policy has been placed on hold but some areas must have been changed over to community mailboxes prior to the policy reversal.

Currently, the private contractors have been replaced with CP employees roaring up and down highways and rural backroads in tiny CP vans formerly used in urban areas.

I can only assume CP has reallocated excess staff and equipment to rural delivery rather than implement mass layoffs ... the result being the replacement of private contractors with CP employees and equipment.

The business case for this change may be sound but I have to say the sight of those little red and white vans running the gravel backroads seems odd.

I'm wondering how this rearrangement of staff might affect negotiations. Would an employee moving to rural delivery be required to change unions?
Was this reallocation of staff limited to a few areas around here or has this change occurred throughout rural Ontario?
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

It's more likely the vans are being reallocated than the personnel.

A lot of the urban jobs were dealt with by attrition- retirements including early retirement, people quitting, and with a lot of Boomers on staff, deaths. (I'm in a cheery mood today!)

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

As I understand it the rural route has to have enough stops/boxes to be able to qualify for the postal truck.

My wee post office here has many routes, but only one route has enough to qualify for the one truck for that one route, and it was only in the last couple years that any routes qualified at all.....

Keeping the truck running seems to be the biggest challenge they face......

Message 17 of 17
latest reply