Canada Post Price Increases

Hot off the presses. Price increases for Canadapost.  Canadian sellers can't seem to win for losing. Effective Sept 11, 2023. Rates, surcharges, Increase to insurance per 100. Up 0.25. Full details below.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/notices.page?ecid=email_jc_544&cid=pDM64104&bi...

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1692122852027.png

-Lotz

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

devon@ebay 

Do we have an precise timeline on WHEN Canadian sellers will have option to choose between counter rate (which has been for years) and the the option to choose a precise CP discounted rate as per their published rates? Choosing a  single discount does NOT work due to the fact that the discounts vary per service. 

Due to the foresight of eBay not being able to resolve this basic concern by just including with the level 4 rates released several months ago it is causing Canadian sellers to lose substantial amount of potential business because they cannot show accurate rates!!! (Same issue applies to anyone using Fedex.)

See above Sept. 2023 scheduled increases. Even more important for eBay to implement ASAP.

Thanks,

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

As I have recently changed/updated all my shipping costs to reflect the applicable eBay discount rates, I don't see this CP price increase as significant enough to change/update my shipping costs at this time...however, as fuel surcharges change/decrease/increase, the need for further adjustment to my shipping costs may come at some point over the coming months. However, I can always simply adjust the price of the item by a wee bit to compensate, rather than re-work the shipping prices...

We know neither buyers nor sellers like these ridiculous Canadian shipping costs, but I do believe the larger portion of users are getting used to these high costs.

It is what it is...

C'est la vie!

Que sera sera!

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I agree, the shipping cost are already very high, I will just eat the difference for a while, otherwise it's going to mean less sales when buyers see the shipping costs.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Perhaps I missed it but despite following several links I couldn't find an actual chart of prices come 9/11 (nice timing), just percentages.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Most often when Canada Post announces increases in shipping costs, it is initially revealed as percentages...later on the actual amount of the increases become available...

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 

@triber 

If you are listing on dotCA, and  for parcels I hope you are since prices vary with destination as well as dimensions and weight,  using Calculated Shipping should take care of the problem of letting the customer know what their costs will be.

If you are listing on dotCOM you will have to work out an acceptable Flat Rate, which will not vary by destination.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I am listing on .com. Only about 8-10% of my sales are to Canada. I am already charging less than the actual postage cost, I have tried free shipping and actually had no sales at all. I am hoping that US shipping costs are not going to go up too much.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Insurance being $2.50 per $100.00 mathematically means it cover a 2.5% package loss rate. Which is already very obviously way over what the package loss rate is, and that they were already doing a lot of profit on that.

Increase to $2.75 means it cover a 2.75% package loss rate LOL. Even lettermail is >1%.

Bunch of thiefs. 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I List on .CA  only and have been using an acceptable flat rate for over 12 years which has worked very well for the items I sell. I sell on 2 other sites where I also use flat rate shipping. On all 3 sites, stats show that the buyers are about 55% USA/45% Canada. My sales on eBay declined significantly over the past 4 years and as I prepare to end my selling here on eBay, I will be listing less and less, so I have no need to change my shipping methods, and will continue as is...

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I am already charging less than the actual postage cost, I have tried free shipping

Are you still charging for that "free" shipping?

Free Shipping is an advertising gimmick that means the seller has included their costs for shipping (including packaging) in their asking price for the item.

The same goes for Flat Rate shipping that is less than the actual cost.

Which is most likely to appeal to the customer?

A $10 item with $5 shipping?

A $15 item with Free Shipping?

A $14 item with $1 shipping?

A $5 item with $10 shipping?

There is no one answer.  A recent post on dotCOM was from a seller who runs three accounts with the same products, one using Free Shipping, one with exact postage, one with a Flat Rate. His sell through, he reports, on all three are about the same.

The point being that the buyer pays the cost of shipping and packaging.

And everything else.

And what is left over, is our profit.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Also of note: a fourth size of Flat Rate Box will be released around this time as well. All I know is it is $16.99 and will be smaller than the "Small" but more cube-shaped and less flat - official dimensions haven't been released yet.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Canada Post already sells a packing box that is "coffee mug" friendly.  Could be a prepaid version of that. Which would be very useful -- not just for coffee cups.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

Also of note: a fourth size of Flat Rate Box will be released around this time as well. All I know is it is $16.99 and will be smaller than the "Small" but more cube-shaped and less flat - official dimensions haven't been released yet.

@dinomitesales 

With any of the flat rate items is there anything in place if the package is over the 5 kg limit? Can shipper pay for  overweight? Rules/interpretations appear to vary depending on depot.

Thanks,

Lotz

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@dinomitesales wrote:

@dinomitesales 

With any of the flat rate items is there anything in place if the package is over the 5 kg limit? Can shipper pay for  overweight? Rules/interpretations appear to vary depending on depot.

Thanks,

Lotz

No, there is nothing in place to account for boxes that exceed 5 kg; there is no option to pay extra, Canada Post simply doesn't want the boxes in the mail stream if they exceed 5 kg.

When a person deposits a flat rate box at the post office we are to weigh it and if it exceeds 5 kg our instructionis are to tell the person that they must open it and remove contents to reduce the weight. We are not supposed to accept it if it exceeds 5 kg. That being said, if a clerk DOES just take it and accept it, it appears to arrive at the destination just fine. I'm not going to argue with someone over a couple hundred grams for example.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@dinomitesales wrote:

@dinomitesales 

Thanks,

Lotz

No, there is nothing in place to account for boxes that exceed 5 kg; there is no option to pay extra, Canada Post simply doesn't want the boxes in the mail stream if they exceed 5 kg.

When a person deposits a flat rate box at the post office we are to weigh it and if it exceeds 5 kg our instructionis are to tell the person that they must open it and remove contents to reduce the weight. We are not supposed to accept it if it exceeds 5 kg. That being said, if a clerk DOES just take it and accept it, it appears to arrive at the destination just fine. I'm not going to argue with someone over a couple hundred grams for example.

@dinomitesales 

I mailed 2 prepaid parcels from Goderich on Friday. The large  (slightly oversized) was rejected by the Rexall outlet. There were no issues with the medium. So the larger 1 took to the main depot and was accepted on the spot. It arrived in Calgary today <shocked expression>. Medium box is scheduled to arrive Friday of this week. They were dropped off 15 minutes apart. 

As an FYI for anyone in a similar situation, do not seal until it is confirmed at the depot so you can remove anything if you need to. Also items moving east to west seem to move faster than anything moving west to east. 

-Lotz

Message 16 of 16
latest reply