Canada Post domestic rates

bookilu
Community Member

Can somebody please explain to me why it costs more to ship a 2-oz. parcel to St. John's ($17) than it does to ship to Australia ($11)?  Just curious.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Canada Post domestic rates

Because Canada is a huge country with low population density, it is costly to deliver domestically.

Delivering to Australia really only involves sending it onto a plane (and then Australia post takes care of the rest), and international postage rate is regulated by the Universal Postal Union - UPU
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@bookilu wrote:

Can somebody please explain to me why it costs more to ship a 2-oz. parcel to St. John's ($17) than it does to ship to Australia ($11)?  Just curious.

Because your 2oz  "package" to Australia is sent First Class LetterPost while your Canadian one is sent as a "package".

If your 2oz item is less than 2cm thick (when packed) you can send it anywhere in Canada for $1.94

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@recped wrote:

Because your 2oz  "package" to Australia is sent First Class LetterPost while your Canadian one is sent as a "package".

If your 2oz item is less than 2cm thick (when packed) you can send it anywhere in Canada for $1.94

I think he probably sent it via Small Packet Air, not letter-post. Small Packet Air to Australia for under 100g is $11.63 at the counter.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/2020-Canada-Post-unofficial-rates-chart-under-2kg/td-p/4...

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:

I think he probably sent it via Small Packet Air, not letter-post. Small Packet Air to Australia for under 100g is $11.63 at the counter.

Small Packet is actually an extension of international letter post, as per Universal Postal Union's dictates, despite Canada Post's attempts to market it and label it as a parcel service.  You'll note that it's not subject to volumetric weight calculations the way that actual parcel services are, for example.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Even if it is an extension of international letter-post, it's confusing for new sellers if we refer to it by a different name. For clarity we should still refer to it by the names used by Canada Post itself.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:

Even if it is an extension of international letter-post, it's confusing for new sellers if we refer to it by a different name. For clarity we should still refer to it by the names used by Canada Post itself.

I read the post as an explanation of the service used, not a renaming of it.  In any event, I think it's important that sellers understand the nature of the shipping services they are using.  I wonder how many sellers, be they new or established, are aware that Expedited Parcel USA is a surface parcel service, despite being more expensive than Small Packet Air for smaller items?

Message 7 of 7
latest reply