2020 Canada Post unofficial rates chart (under 2kg)

2020 OTC2020 OTC

Attached is an image version of the 2020 postage chart I made. Please feel free to use / print it out if you find this useful.

$1.07 is stamp rate if you're only purchasing one stamp over the counter.

These are all OVER THE COUNTER rates, so if you have Solution for Small Business account (or if you print via Shippo or Paypal) you will get cheaper rates for the parcels. Definitely use Shippo/Paypal/CPC online for Tracked Packet since the saving is quite significant (at least 10% cheaper). Fuel surcharge fluctuations apply to Tracked Packet. 

For Small Packet rate, I used United Kingdom and Australia as reference since that's what I use often. As you can see, for the <250g and <500g weight bracket, depending on your international destination, it might be cheaper to use small packet air instead of letter-mail.

I did not include rates for expedited parcel, xpresspost, priority etc in the chart because the price varies greatly depending on both sender and receiver location.

Old 2019 chart: https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Listing-Tools/2019-Canada-Post-over-the-counter-rates-chart-unde...

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Compared to the chart above, you'd notice that the Solution for Small Business Level 1 Rates are quite lower especially for Tracked Packets. Again, fuel surcharge can vary so your actual printed rates from your electronic label provider might be different. Fuel surcharges are adjusted on the first Monday of every month. The rates in this table included fuel surcharge when I made this chart, so if you're also in Vancouver then this should be quite accurate for you during January.

Use the chart at your own risk! I did double check but there could be errors... the chart is for reference only! Always go by Canada Post's official rates. 

CP2020SfSB.jpg

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Rant:

The chart is quite boring and tedious to make, and it's also rather time consuming (~2 hours) to double check to make sure the numbers are correct. This will likely be the last year I'm making this chart. My sale volume is really low now, and I haven't had any Australian sale in two years. I also rarely sell packages over 500g, so I'm putting these info in the chart only for the sellers here, not for myself anymore. It's getting harder to justify investing time and effort in making these charts; we know that the rates are gonna go up every year anyway, right?

Even if I do make a 2021 chart, the content will be significantly cut down - no more Australian info and no more info for over 500g. I actually wasn't even going to make one this year since I barely looked at the 2019 chart myself, but I got a few messages from people here disappointed_relieved I don't want to feel obligated to make one, so please don't ask me about this next year. 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Thanks for taking the time to put this together for everyone @zee-chan!

Are you okay if I pin this to the top of the boards as a reference for folks?
Tyler,
eBay
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Thank you very much for making this table and sharing it with us!  

Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Yes you may pin this.

Oops, just realized that I forgot to delete one of the "reference" link... That link is for 2018 rates lolll. I didn't have the 2019 files since my computer crashed last year, only the 2018 files had back up so I used that to make the 2020 file.
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Remember when you could pick up those fan fold rate sheets to keep handy or a few pouches as required at your neighbourhood mail depot? No longer the case. And now, if I need replacement stock for the new rate stamps for oversized letters no stock....They have to be manually printed  by denomination.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

This is great - thanks for posting!!!

Does CP give a small packet air discount for untracked now? I thought the discount was only for tracked?
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

when I do a test for small packet USA on Snap Ship, it shows Small Business savings = to about 3.25%

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Anyone know if there is a link to the fanfold rate sheets on the CP website for 2020?
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@forester_studios   

Only what's posted/created above by zee-chan and the accumulation in the other discussion. The fanfolds may have been obsoleted are still not back from their printers.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/January-2020-Canada-Post-price-increases/m-p/430275#M109...

-Lotz

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

I'll have to see if that discount works at the counter next time! I didn't bother using my SFSB card on a recent Small Packets shipment because usually there is no discount.
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

All my packages are prepared at home with online shipping labels via PayPal(which also gives the same discounts as Snap Ship), as I never do them at PO counter. I don't know if that wee discount applies for online only or at the counter as well.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Thank you very much   @zee-chan

I promise not to bug you for this chart next year, maybe - lol.

-Judith

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:
I'll have to see if that discount works at the counter next time! I didn't bother using my SFSB card on a recent Small Packets shipment because usually there is no discount.

I use Shippo to print small packet labels at home, and there is always a small discount; usually matching the second table I posted in this thread. Another nice thing with the Shippo label (I assume Paypal or Snap Ship gives the same/similar label) is that, there is a barcode, and apparently there is some internal tracking CPC/USPS with that barcode. Some sellers said they have "won" INR claims with the barcode before. 

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

@lucitabby wrote:

Thank you very much   @zee-chan

I promise not to bug you for this chart next year, maybe - lol.

-Judith

Sorry about snapping a couple nights ago... work has been stressful. I had conflicts with management and it was very frustrating. Contemplating about looking for another job.

It has also been very upsetting reading international news... I have friends in Hong Kong (high school and university friends who moved back a few years ago) and while I'm very impressed by their brave fight for democracy, I'm worried about their well-being. One of my friend is a social worker and another one is a paramedic, so they deal with the front-line casualties. The police in Hong Kong are in a way worse than terrorists, and the Chinese government is full of lies (read: Wuhan respiratory virus). Most of our politicians are doing nothing to help (I'm impressed by the Coquitlam Mayor Brad West though!), and some of them still have ties with the Chinese government... 

Well that's getting off-topic. Hopefully my sales will pick up this year, and maybe that will justify the time to make a concise 2021 chart.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Hopefully your friends can survive in one piece. There is a lot of distressing news from around the world at this time.

Take care.
Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Sadly there is a lot of distressing news from around the world all the time. As far back as I can remember to the sixties. And history tells us it has been forever.

The difference now in this age of instant communications is that we see it up close and uncensored for the most part.
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

No apology necessary.  You have every reason to be stressed about the Hong Kong situation.  I wish your friends well in their frightening environment.

Unfortunately, we sometimes forget to thank our friends or family for the things they do for us.  Thank you for providing us with this information every year ... most of us (or maybe just me) didn't appreciate how much time it took.

I hope all of us have increased sales this year!

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

On April 6 the fuel surcharge will drop for all parcel categories due to falling prices for fuel. Small packet does not have a fuel surcharge. The surcharge is adjusted first Monday of every month.

drop of 2.50% for Canadian parcels (down to 9.0% from 11.5%)

drop of 1.25% for USA and what's left of International

drop of 2.25% for Priority Worldwide (down to 5.25% from 7.5%)

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=fuel_surcharges_on_m

-..-

Message 20 of 22
latest reply