Combined shipping - Help would you give a refund and how much?

I have a repeat buyer that buys from me a couple of times a year, usually 5 to 6 CD's at one time.  I have it set up on .ca that the first CD is 4.25 and every one after that is $2.50.  Normally that works just fine when someone buys 2 CD's but when they buy 5 or more there can be a greater saving depending on how far the item has to go.   

Now if this person was a one of, or the savings was under $2.00, I may not, however, this buyer has bought about 50 CD's from me over the years and I would like that to continue.  

This person paid $18.50 Cdn and taking off the $1.85 ebay fee and paypal fee, call it $2.00.  That leaves me with $16.50.  $1.00 for the box and bubble wrap and the postage was 11.05 so that would be $12.05.  I cleared $16.50 - 12.05= $4.45.  Would you refund that to the buyer?  

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If you offer combined shipping then yes, I would give a discount. I know combined shipping doesn’t really mean discounted shipping but most buyers read it that way. I always offer combined shipping and never charge more than Canada Post charges. Usually less when I get a large order from a buyer since I also save on packaging materials. Especially when it’s a repeat buyer.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

My world is different from yours, but in this case I add extra stuff.

I either add more of the kind of stuff they just bought, or I check back through their purchase history and send them more of something they purchased earlier.

I'm of the mind that this probably wouldn't work in your case, unless you understand their music tastes really well.

An alternative might be to tell them that to recognize their repeat business, next time they order, order and pay for all but one, and let you know about another they want valued up to $x and you will close that one and send it to them for free with the order. This also makes sure they come back again in a few months. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I already offered combined shipping on this one.  Without combined shipping the cost would have been $25.50 but I have it set up to offer combined shipped so it brought the cost down to $18.50.  The main reason there is more of a savings is that he lives in the same province as me so the actual cost is $4.45 less.  

Giving an extra CD in this case, that would be hard as he is a collector an has a lot always buys bulk from every seller. 

My thinking is that I am going to give him a $5 refund on the shipping.  

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Either a $5 refund or a $5 "gift certificate" on his next purchase, since he is a valued customer.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I charge similar (US/CA Buyers), CA$5 for the first tape* and CA$2 for each additional.

How much I pay for shipping is irrelevant and I don't discount the $2/additional unless you are like a recent buyer who dropped $900 on 60 pieces (they got 10% off and free shipping).

I have plenty of repeat buyers and repeat buyers of multiple items. I figure if they keep coming back and buying they must not have a problem with my shipping charges.

* I have a slightly different first item charge for cd's, it's a holdover from the past and is cheaper than tapes even though they are more expensive to ship. (I sell 10/1 tapes vs cd's).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Personal preference would be to give a refund if there was a major discrepancy in postage paid and actual postage. If I a customer asks, that would be how I would explain it. As for when customers buy multiples of an item...30% of my listings, the calculator is still not accurate. I note in the listing to email me prior to bidding so I can confirm postage to their location. As others have stated most customers understand the postage is the postage and not much we, as sellers can do to change it or that we have other selling fees we need to cover.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Yes - refund $5.00.  It will likely benefit you in the future.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply