Customer Service Says Negative Feedbacks Dont Affect Sales.

recently i recieved negative feedbacks from a single buyer due to the fact they didnt like how much 3 vhs costed to ship. i contacted ebay support on facebook and they told me that the feedbacks are not removable and that they wont affect my sales.

it has been a full week since this happened and i have not seen any sales and my traffic metrics are lower than normal.

why does ebay have to lie about something so simple as if feedbacks affect sales. we all know it does and there is proof it does.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Customer Service Says Negative Feedbacks Dont Affect Sales.

the whole year of 2023 has been horrible for ebay, so many glitches/errors. my sales all year have been low. currently have over $20,000 in items listed yet ive only sold $500 in stuff this month. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

EBay doesn't use feedback to assess member accounts.

So the Chat rep was right-- for  a given value of right.

But.

Buyers do.

And unfortunately, by Responding to a rant (three of them !) by the buyer, which made him look like a pouty baby, you added an attack on him and on buyers generally, three of them.

Now

His three FB only count as one in your rating, since they are for the same transaction and posted close together.

So that helps.

And neutrals don't count towards your rating.

After Receiving Refund Buyer Demanded More & If I Didn't They Would Leave This Negative.

If this is true, you could have this earlier FB removed and the buyer would have a black mark of some sort on his account, since this is Feedback Extortion.

and i have not seen any sales and my traffic metrics are lower than normal.

How did late August go in 2022? 2019?2018? (We skip the pandemic years because the surge in online buying makes them outliers.)

Compare August to August, not to July or January.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

While it may feel like it, there probably isn't a correlation. My sales in this store have disappeared over the past week with traffic about 1/2 normal (and I haven't had any account issues). Traffic in my media store hasn't changed, but sales are down over the past 2 weeks.  Sales in my book store seem normal with views up very sharply over the past week (like 200%). It's probably just eBay doing eBay things behind the scenes. I suspect they're trying to push items appropriate for the season, which right now is likely back to school stuff.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

While it may feel like it, there probably isn't a correlation. My sales in this store have disappeared over the past week with traffic about 1/2 normal (and I haven't had any account issues). Traffic in my media store hasn't changed, but sales are down over the past 2 weeks.  Sales in my book store seem normal with views up very sharply over the past week (like 200%). It's probably just eBay doing eBay things behind the scenes. I suspect they're trying to push items appropriate for the season, which right now is likely back to school stuff.

@flipistics 

One side observation, I shut my store down for 5 days this month but left items on visible. Ship on return. Traffic/impressions poofed during those "down" days. When the store came back to life traffic returned and 3 quick sales. 2 for newly just listed items. No sales since. Total sales for August...a big 7. 17 sales the previous month.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1693159544546.png

-Lotz

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

You won't like what i'll say but to me you did mistakes the way you handled this. From what i read you told your buyer you would combine shipping and you would refund after purchase. Saying only you will combine shipping by default will indeed be understood as you will fully remove the extra shipping added from additional listings. Not add a charge. If you didnt say it. You made him purchase instead of sending an invoice too, so he could not see. Your buyer isn't wrong to feel like he got screwed on this. You made your buyer purchase and told him you would refund, he trusted you and you randomly added a charge without telling him before buying. He assumed legitemately that combined shipping means combined shipping, not combined shipping + charge.  There's mistakes on communication and transaction set up there. The fact you reply saying the buyer should get banned and you do not take responsability for the lack of communication is even worse. 

That being said. This is probably why ebay do not remove the feedbacks. Usually ebay would remove because 'buyer ask something that was not offered'. But you basically told your buyer something and did something else. Unfortunate he left feedbacks for it but your buyer still isn't wrong at all here. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I contacted eBay's service department to request the removal of highly offensive feedback from a member who has zero transactions. He stated that I threatened his family, that I requested personal information and that I am a scammer. But instead of removing these remarks, eBay ASKED HIM FOR PERMISSION to remove them!!!

Did they really think a person like that would give them permission?

I have been a member in good standing for many years with a 100% rating and thousands of transactions and yet they allow this highly offensive individual with zero transactions to attack my hard earned reputation.

I will have lost complete faith in eBay's sense of fairness.
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

eBay does remove negative feedback, but it is a toss up over whether they remove it. You have to be able to show that the buyer complained about something that is not factual, or was outside of your control. Or, it has to be inappropriate, like a buyer swearing in the feedback. They likely outline what is or isn't allowed somewhere in the eBay help pages.

eBay does not evaluate sellers based on feedback. Feedback is for buyers to evaluate sellers.

Buyers generally don't read feedback, unless your feedback is really low, or the transaction is high risk. If you do receive a negative feedback, you can reply to it. You should consider when you reply to it that you aren't replying for the person who left the negative feedback, that is what eBay's messaging system is for. You're replying to put on your best face for future customers who might read their negative feedback. The way you replied, whether justified, made you look worse. A buyer will read that and think that if there is a problem, you're going to be difficult to deal.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

From what i read you told your buyer you would combine shipping and you would refund after purchase. Saying only you will combine shipping by default will indeed be understood as you will fully remove the extra shipping added from additional listings. Not add a charge. If you didnt say it. You made him purchase instead of sending an invoice too, so he could not see. Your buyer isn't wrong to feel like he got screwed on this. You made your buyer purchase and told him you would refund, he trusted you and you randomly added a charge without telling him before buying. He assumed legitemately that combined shipping means combined shipping, not combined shipping + charge.  There's mistakes on communication and transaction set up there. The fact you reply saying the buyer should get banned and you do not take responsability for the lack of communication is even worse. 

There was no lack of communication, the buyer had first sent me an offer on a single vhs requesting to add 2 others without having them added to the order. i told them i couldnt do that and they would have to purchase the 3 in one single order. the buyer then paid in full on all 3 vhs with no offer, thus why no invoice was sent. the buyer paid a little over $5 on the 3 vhs and $50 on shipping, i paid $25 to ship them with expedited and refunded the remaining $35 back. the buyer was expecting to recieve $7.69 back as that was the shipping cost on 1 vhs (shipped with expedited lite)

There was no added charges, i lost money on this sale.

yes i take responsibility that i attacked the buyer by saying they need to be banned but in no way did i handle this transaction wrong.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@xoticflips wrote:

i paid $25 to ship them with expedited and refunded the remaining $35 back.

Remaining $25 not $35, Finger slipped.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

You agreed to combined shipping prior purchase but did not told the buyer that it would not be a single charge. He assumed it would be a single charge because saying combined shipping alone, means a single charge. Did you told him it would be $25 prior payment? From what i understand you made him realize it only after he paid, at the refund. This is indeed in facts a lack of communication there. This is what your buyer is pointing. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

there is NO proof that your "not seen any sales and my traffic metrics are lower than normal." has ANYTHING to do with a negative feedback...

This is August/this is summertime/this is 2023 and for MANY sellers this has not been a "normal" year for eBay or any other selling site...MANY sellers have seen a drastic downturn in sales on numerous selling sites...this is NOT unique to you...this is NOT unique to eBay...

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@rk_buyandsell 

Is it possible that you used the link to ask the buyer to change feedback rather than asking eBay to change it?   Have you tried reporting  the buyer for misusing feedback using the following link?     https://spd.ebay.ca/RBASellerHub

If you did cancel the order without an 'eBay legitimate' reason they may not remove it. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

But instead of removing these remarks, eBay ASKED HIM FOR PERMISSION to remove them!!!

Yeah. Probably the legal weasels told them to do that, and it's written into the programming.

FWIW- the buyer will be seen as extremely nutty, your other 27 FB this month are positive, and the four negs only count as one, since they were left so close together.

Do NOT respond to them. It will not help.

You might try again to have them removed using the trained eBay employees who cover social media, not the subcontracted clerks in Utah.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply