Ebay Managed Payment amounts to 27% in Fees!

I recently sold an item on Ebay Canada, the item itself listed for $274.95 Cnd + Mailing $58.75 Cdn. for a total of $333.70 Cdn.
$282.96 Cdn was deposited in my bank account + $39.25 Cdn will be withdrawn for mailing from my bank account.
$333.70 - $282.96 = $50.74 +  $39.25 = $89.99
$89.99 divided by $333.70 = 27%

There are also these tax fees & numbers that Ebay Reps do not have the answers for when all is calculated.
Previously Ebay Fees & PayPal payments consistently amounted to 15%
Three things I do not like about Ebay Managed Payments: The outrageous fee amount. Tax & numbers by Ebay that do not add up & are not explained by Ebay Reps. (seller does not pay tax) . The buyer will be overcharged for shipping since there is no way to verify the shipping Ebay shipping discount when listing.
I would never overcharge for shipping with PayPal payments, a reason why it helped my sells.

In the future I will have to calculate 30%  as Ebay fees, which translates to only items I am really desperate to sell, even at a loss.

First Global Shipping, now Ebay Managed Payments, Ebay must not care if they lose Canadian Ebayers.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Ebay Managed Payment amounts to 27% in Fees!

How in earth did I make a ♀️ in my post??!! It wasn't in my emoji history even.
Message 21 of 32
latest reply

You sold an item for $5.

At 10% the FVF would be $0.50

Shipping was $9.00 and at 10% that would be $0.90.

There is a flat 30c fee for payment processing.

So far we have $1.70 in fees. 

And then a 2.9% processing fee making $0.40 if you sold to Canada / or 3.7% making $0.52 for the USA.

Which is either $2.10 or $2.22 depending on destination.

What did I leave out?

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

If you are referring to US sales tax, you wouldn't have been charged that.  eBay does collect in from the buyer so but since you pay fees on the total amount that the buyer paid, you do pay fvf on the amount tax as well.  

On .com your fees in that category are probably 12.55%

$14 x 12.55% = 1.76

transaction fee. 30

international fee if buyer was in the US - $14 x .4% = .06

Total fvf paid should be about 2.12

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

What did I leave out?

You are quoting the percentages as if the seller was still with PP but they are in MP

so the percentages are different.

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

I just sold a graphics card, Ebay listed fees at 27.5%!!!!

This is not worth it, Ebay what have you become?!?!?

What's depressing here, is that I was all over the site during the auction, no where did it show that everything would cost this much. If that was plainly laid out, I would NOT have bothered listing and just did straight kijiji.

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

Perhaps before this outdated thread gets shut down, you could show us the math you used?

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

If you click on help and support at the top of most pages and then type in selling fees, you will see a page tha tells you what the fees will be.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822&st=3&pos=1&query=Selling...

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

I'm wondering if this seller is considering the amount they spent on shipping to be a "fee" because they chose to list with "free" shipping.   That would account for a considerable proportion of the deductions from the item's selling price.

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

@aluminumhaste wrote:

I just sold a graphics card, Ebay listed fees at 27.5%!!!!

It is not a good listing practice to use the reserve option for an auction.

The cost is too high, for any benefit:  "$5.00 or 7.5% of reserve price, whichever is greater (maximum fee $250) -- Charged whether or not your item sells."

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees-managed-payments-sellers?id=4822...

Your auction starting price should be your reserve price -- no need to throw away money by having a fake starting price with a reserve option.

Most of the optional listing choices that a seller can use provide little value for the extra cost involved.

-;-

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

I sold an item for $13.00 with free shipping.

Ebay only paid me $10.66.

ANYONE can see that 13 / 1.22 = $10.66

If there is a shipping fee, I must mark it up 30% so that when ebay takes their cut, I don't lose money.

If i want to keep my prices low, it's impossible unless I want to lose money.

Sometimes they charge the buyer "TAX".

I believe the only reason for this is so they can charge fees on the tax.

Dishonest, crooks they are!

As soon as there is an alternative sellers will dropping ebay like flies.

Message 30 of 32
latest reply

"Sometimes they charge the buyer "TAX". I believe the only reason for this is so they can charge fees on the tax."

well not sure where you've been during all the announcements and discussions about the taxation processes, which although the new Canadian online taxation process may be new to Canadian buyers and sellers, is not new to buyers and sellers from many other countries around the world AND is NOT unique to eBay,( this is NOT eBay's doing), AND encompasses similar online selling sites(Amazon, Etsy,etc,etc,etc) ...

"As soon as there is an alternative sellers will dropping ebay like flies."...oh just like they did on Amazon, Etsy,etc.etc??? --don't think there's been any mass exodus from any of the selling sites...

the buyers pay the taxes and the sellers pay fees on the TOTAL transaction which means somewhat higher fees but if that increase is a deal breaker, well so be it!  Life goes on!

Buyers and sellers accept, adapt, adjust and carry on!

The only guarantees in life:death and taxes...

C'est la vie! Que sera, sera!

Message 31 of 32
latest reply

If there is a shipping fee, I must mark it up 30% so that when ebay takes their cut, I don't lose money.

There is a shipping fee, you just included your cost for shipping in your selling price.

Since you don't mention sales tax, can we assume your buyer is in one of the three or four US states that does not charge it?

Canadian buyers now (as of July 1st) also pay GST/PST/HST/QST and while this is a passthrough and we don't touch the money, we do pay fees on that as well.

So if your item went to Alberta, the buyer paid $13.65 (GST only) and, depending on category you would pay 12.55% plus 30c on the total, or $1.71.

• The categories you sell in are actually lower than average- from 6% to 12%.  My book sales are charged at 14.6%

If the buyer was not in Canada, there is also a fee for international transactions.

And of course currency exchange:

https://export.ebay.com/en/fees-and-payments/seller-fees/international-fees/

so that when ebay takes their cut, I don't lose money.

Umm, yes?

eBay fees are one of your costs, like bubblewrap and labour. 

Message 32 of 32
latest reply