Ebay erroneously telling US buyers that a Canada Post receipt number is a tracking number.

phc64
Community Member

I ship most purchases to the United States via Canada Post Small Packet Air. Since I sell mostly $5 to $10 items, tracking is simply too expensive. Since being switched to Managed Payments about a month ago, eBay has been telling my US buyers that what is actually the Small Packet Air receipt number is a tracking number, which is leading to all kinds of problems with US buyers asking why the supposed tracking information is only indicating 'tracking number provided'. I am getting rather tired of constantly having to send messages to my US buyers that what eBay is telling them is a tracking number is in fact no such thing.

Has anyone else been encountering this issue?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Ebay erroneously telling US buyers that a Canada Post receipt number is a tracking number.

hlmacdon
Community Member

It's not a tracking number although at one point (not sure if it still does) they would occasionally get scanned as they go through the process and have back end visibility on the USPS side. Ebay pulls from there rather than the public facing USPS data so sometimes you would get some visibility. It is part of the label due to UPU requirements for an S10 identifer to flag the class of mail, in this case lettermail class items containing goods that weren't tracked or registered. The prefixes on the nubmers identify the correct mail class so they are processed appropriately by the receiving postal operator.

US sellers often have a similiar experience with the customs numbers provided for first class package international shipments that are not going to a country that has delivery scans for the class. Even more confusing for buyers as they see the scans up to the point it is leaving the US but nothing after.

Unless ebay has an agreement with USPS to guarantee visibilty on these packages they shouldn't be telling buyers that it is a tracking number.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Re: Ebay erroneously telling US buyers that a Canada Post receipt number is a tracking number.

Many Canadian sellers regard this as a feature rather than a bug.

Because--

Americans are addicted to tracking. They don't realize that it is a Seller Protection, so seeing ANY number is soothing.

And a few Bad Buyers will open a Not Received dispute when they realize that the seller did not track, and thus get their purchase free.

Basically, a customer who thinks her purchase is tracked will be less likely to fuss than one who knows it isn't.

So.

Shush. Schtum. Radio silence.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

small-packet-usa.png

Is that the number you are referring to?

That is an internal tracking number and only becomes visible on ebay if USPS does any scans (ebay has no access to Canada Post internal scans).  Pre-covid, the odds were very good that the "untracked" small packet would get scans that would show on ebay.  Canada Post and USPS websites hide the scan data.

-..-

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

i was under the impression that that UR/CA number you circled could be tracked on Ebay's tracking system in Manage Orders.  Is that still the case?

I completely forgot about it.  It would be a simple matter to snap a picture of it while at the post office.  Might cut down on the buyers getting INR freebies.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it.

For others that are reading this, the op isn't referring to the combination of numbers and letters that are under the bar code on the label,  this is some sort of receipt number that I remember seeing when I was printing the label but I don't know where to find it now.  I don't see it anywhere on the label.  When I printed my last 2 ebay labels, it looks as if ebay automatically added that number in as a 'tracking' number.  That is not a good thing as that number will never show as having been scanned and people will think I have printed a label but not shipped the item.

non tracking number.jpg

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@fergua3 wrote:

i was under the impression that that UR/CA number you circled could be tracked on Ebay's tracking system in Manage Orders.  Is that still the case?

I completely forgot about it.  It would be a simple matter to snap a picture of it while at the post office.  Might cut down on the buyers getting INR freebies.

Yes, that's still the case IF USPS scans it.   I only enter that number IF the buyer files an inr or asks about the item.   But the number the op is referring to is not the UR number on the label 

I guess that I should specify that the screenshot above is definitely for a small packet USA label.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

phc64
Community Member

Thanks to all for your responses.

The number eBay is telling buyers is a tracking number is not the UR/CA number. It is a number that does not actually appear on the shipping label. The number shows up on my 'orders' page (and apparently on the purchaser's 'purchase history' page) as a 'tracking' number as soon as I purchase the shipping label:

aaa4.jpg

When you click on what is supposedly the tracking info link above, you get this:

aaaa5.jpg

And since the number is not actually a tracking number, no further tracking information ever appears, which leads the buyer to believe that after purchasing the shipping label, I never actually mailed the item.

This has only been going on since my switch to Managed Payments a month ago, and the accompanying switch from purchasing shipping labels through PayPal to purchasing them through eBay.

I don't know if the same thing would be happening with Small Packet Air shipments to other countries, because during the pandemic I have only been shipping to Canada and the US.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

This is something that you should be sure to ask about (and give your example) to Tyler next  week at the Weekly Chat session! You can usually post a message on Tuesday or as soon as he opens the chat.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

@phc64 

You wrote: This has only been going on since my switch to Managed Payments a month ago, and the accompanying switch from purchasing shipping labels through PayPal to purchasing them through eBay.

It is not because you switched to MP. It is because you used eBay labels. I am not in MP and I decided to give eBay labels a try to see what it was like. Don't even ask what I think of it! I much prefer using PayPal shipping where you get the correct UR .........CA. Then I get my postal oulet to scan the bar code and give me a receipt . Within a day or 2 tracking details are showing on eBay but never show on the Canada Post site or the USPS site.  The only catch I have noticed is that sometimes the USPS carrier doesn't scan the bar code when they deliver it so it doesn't say delivered but it shows as arriiving at the final destination delivery office. Which means you have done your part.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

It would be a simple matter to snap a picture of it while at the post office.

Unnecessary.

The number is on your receipt.

sometimes the USPS carrier doesn't scan the bar code when they deliver it so it doesn't say delivered but it shows as arriiving at the final destination delivery office. Which means you have done your part.

Are you sure about that?

There are enough posts from sellers who are getting INRs when the item is apparently "at the post office" that I would be concerned.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@phc64 wrote:

Thanks to all for your responses.

The number eBay is telling buyers is a tracking number is not the UR/CA number. It is a number that does not actually appear on the shipping label. The number shows up on my 'orders' page (and apparently on the purchaser's 'purchase history' page) as a 'tracking' number as soon as I purchase the shipping label:

aaa4.jpg

When you click on what is supposedly the tracking info link above, you get this:

aaaa5.jpg

And since the number is not actually a tracking number, no further tracking information ever appears, which leads the buyer to believe that after purchasing the shipping label, I never actually mailed the item.

This has only been going on since my switch to Managed Payments a month ago, and the accompanying switch from purchasing shipping labels through PayPal to purchasing them through eBay.

I don't know if the same thing would be happening with Small Packet Air shipments to other countries, because during the pandemic I have only been shipping to Canada and the US.

If the number that is porting to eBay is a "receipt number" vs the UR or whatever it is sending an alternate plan of attack would be to add the actual tracking as soon as a label is physically created. You don't want to delay/change inputted tracking because this will update inaccuratly the official true ship date.

For UR number I've always manually entered immediately after creating. For anything that goes out with letter I update the tracking details with Letter and some sort of date format.(When there happens to be more than 1 on any given date.) As a back up print a copy/ and or save the pdf of the label for your records. File by month. In case you need down the road. It may be important to go green but it never hurts to do what you can to support the forestry industry. 🙂🌲

As mentioned in another discussion, the UR number for small package air works within some European postal services. Finland - Yes. UK - No. France - Still testing. Cypus works in eBay up to postal agent. Confirms shipped from Canada at Cyprus Post but unable to confirm additional details.

-Lotz

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

It would be a simple matter to snap a picture of it while at the post office.

Unnecessary.

The number is on your receipt.

-----

The ur number for small packet is not on a receipt.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

The best solution would be for eBay not to enter the wrong number at all.  There is no reason for it.

I would rather not enter that ur number since there is no guarantee of it being scanned and it is never scanned in Canada so it looks as if the package hasn't been mailed until later on.  You haven't had problems with buyers wondering why there are no scans for the first part of the journey?

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Canada Post Small Packet Air is not a track able service.  I used eBay's new shipping service for a few months and I will never use it again.  It only caused problems including what you are describing.

The solution (if you want to use Canada Post) open your own Solutions for Small Business account (it's free) and you can either print your labels through CP online via 'snap ship' or connect your CP account and eBay account to shippo.  When you ship, you manually mark it shipped if no tracking you leave it blank, if you have a tracking you put it in yourself.  

If you are using non-track able methods, I would  recommend putting that in your listing and even messaging buyers after you ship.  Thank them and remind them that the item is shipped via a non trackable method as stated in your listing.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

If a wrong number is being entered with eBay Labels that would definitely be a shortcoming of the service.

Currently I am sitting at 12 of 13 for tracking loaded and validated.  Majority of those would be small packet air to the USA. The single missing hasn't arrived yet at LAX. (Processed with Shippo)

Previously with a higher volume of shipments I was averaging at 95% for on time to the USA. Most buyers do not want to pay the difference for tracked vs US Small Packet Air.

No issues with buyers asking and if they do I answer and they've been understanding. I feel it's important to include the actual service vs a generic one.

-Lotz

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

We enter the UR number from small packet usa air all the time. So far over 80 of them and all have had their 1st scan at chicago then along the way a few or more times then showing delivered. The UR number is not on any receipt so when you fill out the customs online then they print the label at the post office you need to take a picture of it there so you can enter it on ebay. (this only works on ebay, no other selling platforms and paypal will not accept it either in a paypal claim)

For 100g and under it costs under $8 for small packet usa air. We use discounted postage stamps so $4 actual cost for us to ship tracked to usa from Winnipeg. Cannot beat that anywhere else.

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

The majority of the scans do not show up until the item arrives at LAX or SF for processing with the eBay tracking field. 4/5 days after drop off. The first scan in the system is label created. 2nd scan(sometimes) is preparing shipment for forwarding to USA(Richmond was noted in the past but not as of late).

Including the UR tracking is like a value added service. Not including is keep customer guessing.

-Lotz

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

yes you can...as long as you have a chit chats branch in town.  Im not sure you. guys have one yet.  Since they opened in Edmonton I switched over, and I can ship a 100 - 200 g item with tracking to the US for between $5.75 and $6.40 Canadian...yes, Canadian.   Most stuff takes a week, its tracked the whole way.  One of the added features is that I dont have to fart around with all these snafus re: is the small packet ur number aka poor man's tracking number going to get scanned or not.  Chit Chats tracked the whole way, cheaper than CP by at least $3 in most instances on packages under 200g.  Parcels to US under a kg often half the price or more of CP.  As long as CC operates, I'll never send another item to the US thru CP ever again.  

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

I echo what darak10 says! ChitChats for the win!!! My US shipping has never been so cheap, reliable and fast since I exclusively switched over. It's a GODSEND!

Their CAD service is cheap too, but sloooow! I still use it though because it's usually $10-$12 instead of $19, and adjust all my Shipping timeframes to Economy Shipping. No complaints...yet. I guess Canadian buyers are used to waiting weeks to get packages! Lol

Message 20 of 26
latest reply