Free listing promo today ... odd timing?

Just this morning I received a 500 free listing promo. The timing of this seems very odd in view of current events.

Just activated it, not sold on the idea of using it just now. Open to comments and/or suggestions.

Offer details

Create 500 FREE auction or fixed price listings
Pay no insertion fees on up to 500 listings. Excludes 1-day and 3-day duration. Learn More - Create 500 FREE auction or fixed price listings - opens in new window or tab
Starts
12-Mar-2020 11:05:02 AM
Ends
18-Mar-2020 11:59:59 PM
Start Selling
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Yes I too received the free promo - I often receive the 500 free listing promos and according to past promos the timing of this one is right around the time frame of when one would expect it....

Successful online selling is about the product, its uniqueness, supply and demand, target market,etc,etc, and since these free promos are for the benefit of eBay;  I'd suppose eBay is looking for additional listings in certain categories...

although I haven't decided yet what listings to apply to this free promo, I will be listing in the "hopes" of maybe getting a sale or 2 regardless of the world situation right now...I sell very little outside of North America, as I have not actively promoted International selling for many years now...

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

I think eBay has total listings dropping and sales because of the virus. So free promos to boost sales.

I am no longer buying anything online for now. Also avoiding stores now. I am 65 and poor immune system due to recent illness this past year.

Also stopped going to part time work yesterday.

Not scared but seriously concerned about this pandemic. I do not think one can avoid it but must try.

PS Looks like a buyer’s market coming up for auctions and bidding.
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Like many sellers I'm now firmly into my 60s with a history of a very serious pneumonia not so long ago, have ceased all inventory sourcing expeditions for the forseable future.

Still have a handful of listings running but really starting to question what the proper course of action should be here. At a minimum it would seem reasonable to remove European shipping options. Did make a couple of sales this week to the U.K.
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Just as you, I activated the promo, but I'm not sure I will use it. We'll see.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:
Just this morning I received a 500 free listing promo. The timing of this seems very odd in view of current events.

Just activated it, not sold on the idea of using it just now. Open to comments and/or suggestions.

These promos are planned in advance, so the timing is not particularly odd.

I got the promo, activated, and am now posting auctions with BIN.

If something sells, great.  I am now in the fortunate  position of no longer needing to make online sales to survive.

I am not expecting much in the way of sales with the current tanking of the economy.  Most of my stuff falls into the "luxury" rather than "essential" category of goods.  Online sales of groceries in the USA is up almost 5% since the virus worries hit.

-..-

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Perhaps I should just list a few items of interest to Canadian buyers ...  I would not expect to see many sales either. Looked at the traffic stats just now, for once they're only 3 days behind of today's date ... traffic has really took a hit.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

I've already listed a bunch of auctions. Planning on using all 500 before it ends. People will still buy an item if they want it. The sky is not falling. Remember Swine Flu in 2009? Up to 500, 000 dead and the world economy survived. I also have a job and have to go out every day into the world, don't have the luxury of buying a years supply of toilet paper and hiding under my bed. Staying rational is a wonderful thing.
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

No promo for me... =(

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

It's been years since I've received a promo.  Whyyyy 😞

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera 

At a minimum it would seem reasonable to remove European shipping options.

Why?

The European Union is by some measures the world's largest.

For most people the illness is mild. That's part of the problem, people think it's just a cold and go on with their normal routine and infect others.

But they are self-isolating which is an opportunity for online sales.

It might be a good idea not to buy from China, Italy or Ireland (which are the countries that have locked down pretty much) but Canada is relatively disease-free which could be an attraction for buyers overseas.

We're selling and exporting. 

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Online sales of groceries in the USA is up almost 5% since the virus worries hit.

Makes sense.

Instead of leaving the house and getting some virus killing UV and fresh air, have your groceries pulled, packed, and delivered by a minimum wage clerk who can't afford to take time off when she has a fever and cough.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

I will say that I noticed more than normal sales to Newfoundland this winter whilst folks were locked into their homes by the wicked snowstorm, I guess they used their time shopping for stamps online more than usual!

Makes sense similar things will happen (at least in my world) again here, as long as folks haven't already spent all their discretionary income buying toilet paper and hand sanitizer.....

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Off topic.

I don’t understand the run on toilet paper? Stock is being wiped out of stores. What good is toilet paper if you haven’t stocked up on food. You need to eat to eventually use the toilet paper!

PS Pardon the unintended puns above. Well, maybe intended puns!
Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Maybe they know something we don't... 'cause I was thinking the same thing - wondering if I'm missing something.  LOL

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 15 of 25
latest reply

@richardcm 

Re: The recent "run" on toilet paper.

The reason I heard was because every time one person sneezes, everyone, pardon my language, around them plotzes!!

Thought a bit of levity was required under the current state of the world.

-Lotz

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

@richardcm wrote:
Off topic.
I don’t understand the run on toilet paper? Stock is being wiped out of stores. What good is toilet paper if you haven’t stocked up on food. You need to eat to eventually use the toilet paper!

People tend to stock up on stuff that is in short supply.  Lots of sellers make use of that urge to sell stuff.  Only 2 left in stock, buy before it is sold out...

For those old enough, there was once a late night show host by the name of Johnny Carson, who triggered a shortage of toilet paper in the USA with a short joke.

The toilet paper shortage of 1973

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/johnny-carson-tp-shortage/

I also suspect many people do not know how many rolls of toilet paper they actually use per week and vastly overbuy when panic sets in.

-..-

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Another psychologist was rationalizing the reasons folks stock up because they figure it is something they can control when everything else around them is entirely out of control. When I was in high school happened to get the experience of  Honest Ed's in Toronto for a marketing class. Witnessed shoppers fighting over items because of their low low low prices. Entertaining, yet almost scary.

-Lotz

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

That explanation is at least as plausible as any of the others I've heard.

Equally as bewildering is .... just where exactly does one store all this TP? The average city apartment or condo does not have much if any extra closet space sitting around empty. Where? On top of the kitchen cabinets? Tarped out on the balcony??

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

@kawartha-ephemera 

At a minimum it would seem reasonable to remove European shipping options.

Why?

The European Union is by some measures the world's largest.

For most people the illness is mild. That's part of the problem, people think it's just a cold and go on with their normal routine and infect others.

But they are self-isolating which is an opportunity for online sales.

It might be a good idea not to buy from China, Italy or Ireland (which are the countries that have locked down pretty much) but Canada is relatively disease-free which could be an attraction for buyers overseas.

We're selling and exporting. 

Why? A thought crossed my mind that many of the larger EU countries might be days or weeks away from major major problems. I honestly don't know .... are the Italian mail carriers delivering door to door at the moment?

Last week I read over the WHO joint Mission on Coronavirus Disease 2019 report as well as the clinical reports supporting it .... almost wish I hadn't. 

Message 20 of 25
latest reply