GTC is now live on .com

Just listed some items using TL and found that all were changed to GTC as I uploaded my listings. I list primarily on .com on both my IDs. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. It will be extra work for a while until I get used to it as I have never used GTC before. Sure hope the buyers like it!

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: GTC is now live on .com

This is bull**bleep**
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

I to have never used GTC.   I had always used the 30 days option and changed things up each month with different items.    If I had plans of being away,  I would always wait a week or two so that I did not have to put my store on vacation or change my mailing time frame.

Had not paid any attention so came as a bit of a surprise to me.     It is my store but they are dictating my time frame for doing thing.   One can always cancel before the 30 days if you don't forget.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

If you go to the discussion boards on eBay.com you will find hundreds of posts saying that most sellers are very upset & don't want to be forced to use GTC. Many have closed their stores & left to use other selling sites. Not looking forward to this change coming on eBay.ca. either.   I have already looked into other selling venues myself.  Time will tell.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Sure hope the buyers like it!

Buyers don't care, Fixed Price is Fixed Price, most buyers probably can't identify a 7 or 10 or 30 day vs GTC listing.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

@vintagenorth 

From one point of view, it's less work. Instead of reviewing your closed listings every 30 days and relisting if you want to, they will automatically renew.

You miss the Newly Listed bump in Cassini Search, as will every other Fixed Price Seller, but retain the About to Close bump at the 30 day mark.

Every now and then, a question will turn up from the Archives that includes wailing and gnashing of teeth over some change du jour. It's interesting that of those who say they are leaving eBay forever, more than half are still here and selling years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hm9nW-PqEU

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Yes,  not complaining, well not much anyway. Don’t like change (especially at my age) but keep remembering an essay I wrote back in college about how people adapt to changes eventually. I’ve adapted by leaving a few store listings available each month so that when they roll over I won’t have a huge extra amount to pay. Most months it will be less than $5 anyway.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Wow, June came fast. And didn't an official email go out saying this wouldn't happen until April?

GTC listings tell a buyer that the item is for sale for 30 Days.

The last 48 hours of a sale is our most active in terms of questions and best offers.

This is a significant issue.

It misrepresents the duration to the buyer. If an item disappears buyers don't always go looking for it. eBay states themselves ending a listing early is a no-no in terms of quality.

A seller cannot be charged twice to offer what is represented to the buyer on one insertion.

There are many pro's to the GTC format. I'm even enjoying it from a couple perspectives.

The above con, the unstated extra fee threat, not knowing how long a listing has been active, and possible downranked listings are dark pattern cons enough to sink legitimate commerce. They are illegal in Canada.

eBay - these things can be accomplished legally. Let's make this a better place to sell not a stone to bleed.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

If I have a GTC item on my Watch List, in my experience, the item turns up in my "whatever that little bell at the top of the page is called" list when it is about to close.

Once a month. Every month.

And if it is relisted, it turns up in my Messages. Not sure if the GTC relist shows up there or only the items that were on 30 days.

The stuff on my Watch List is mostly so I can find sellers not the item itself. I know there is another way to do this, but I don't care.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Here's something odd.

I was relisting some items from my Unsold List on dotCOM, and all (five different items) could be relisted as 30 days.

For reasons I won't go into, I'm pretty sure all were previously GTC listings.

So I did the 30 days just to be cute.

Definitely on dotCOM

Definitely relists.

Definitely 30 days offered.

Definitely relisted as 30 days. (Well, probably, hard to tell the difference once they are up.)

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Hi @femmefan1946 - that doesn't seem right! If you want to send me a private message with an item number or two as an example I'd like to have a deeper look.  🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@tryubik-useonlyasdirected wrote:

Wow, June came fast. And didn't an official email go out saying this wouldn't happen until April?

The April start was for .ca, not .com

GTC listings tell a buyer that the item is for sale for 30 Days.

The last 48 hours of a sale is our most active in terms of questions and best offers.

This is a significant issue.

As another poster mentioned, a gtc listing will show in ending soonest search if the 30 days is almost up.

It misrepresents the duration to the buyer. If an item disappears buyers don't always go looking for it. eBay states themselves ending a listing early is a no-no in terms of quality.

I don't understand your point. If you set up a listing to run for 10 days and then relist it, that isn't any different than a gtc relisting for another 30 days. Either way, the item is available again after the advertised ending time.

A seller cannot be charged twice to offer what is represented to the buyer on one insertion.

There are many pro's to the GTC format. I'm even enjoying it from a couple perspectives.

The above con, the unstated extra fee threat, not knowing how long a listing has been active, and possible downranked listings are dark pattern cons enough to sink legitimate commerce. They are illegal in Canada.

What unstated fee threat? Its clear that in 30 days the listing will be relisted and that a fee will be charged or a free listing used up.  As far as downranked listings, we don't  know how it will all work out now since more people will be using gtc.

eBay - these things can be accomplished legally. Let's make this a better place to sell not a stone to bleed.

I don't see anything illegal going on here. If gtc itself was illegal then it wouldn't have existed for years and years.

Although I don't agree with all that you wrote, I am really not a big fan of this new change, I would also prefer to pick and choose the length of time myself but I also think that some of the reasons people say they are against it aren't necessarily valid.  There is a possibility it will work better for  many sellers, we'll have to wait and see on that.  

Perhaps if things did not constantly change on this site, big changes like this would be met with less hostility.  I get that it is frustrating for everyone.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

WTG @femmefan1946 . Now they will go fix that. It could have been something that worked in our favor....Temporarily!! 50 lashes with a wet noodle. Nevermind, only 10 but still!! 🙂

_lotz

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

From one point of view, it's less work. Instead of reviewing your closed listings every 30 days and relisting if you want to, they will automatically renew.

In my case, it is more work. I have an inventory that I alternate from month to month. 50 one month, 50 the following month, the first 50 the third month, etc. Unless something sells, then I add a new item.

With 30 days, the listings ended themselves. Now, I'll have to end them manually each month. A big PITA if you ask me!

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Seriously? It's one click to end a listing and another to relist.

And you can do it in bulk.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

I would suggest to use the GTC as intended but end it at the end of 2 relists at day 89. Or 3 relists at day 119. You have no proof that rotating the 50 each month helps sales. Maybe the GTC will be the same or better.

No one ever proved that the short BIN at 30 days or less increased sales. I used to believe it did but I never knew if true.

My thoughts after reading the discussions on .ca and .com.

I really would be surprised if it increased sales significantly. As long as sales did not decrease significantly I would try it with 89 days and see what happens.
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

The US perspective regarding GTC with some interest thoughts mixed in.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/I-believe-I-figured-the-real-WHY-on-the-GTC-change-and-its-not...

-Lotz

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:
I would suggest to use the GTC as intended but end it at the end of 2 relists at day 89. Or 3 relists at day 119. You have no proof that rotating the 50 each month helps sales. Maybe the GTC will be the same or better.

No one ever proved that the short BIN at 30 days or less increased sales. I used to believe it did but I never knew if true.

My thoughts after reading the discussions on .ca and .com.

I really would be surprised if it increased sales significantly. As long as sales did not decrease significantly I would try it with 89 days and see what happens.

When I had a store, all my listings were GTC. Before the store, I was always using the 30 days listings, I was selling more then than with the store with more listings. Granted... other factors came into effect. But I went back to my previous "stategy", and it seems to have improved... a bit. We'll see in a few months. But wait, I can't wait until a few months. 😞

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Seriously? It's one click to end a listing and another to relist.

And you can do it in bulk.

Yeah, seriously. I could do other things instead of doing this. Not to mention I loose the "ending soonest" momentum.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

I also forgot to say that it is more work than just a few clicks to end and relist in bulk. When I list, I have to add a note with the time I listed the items. And when the listings will end, I have two options:

1- stay in front of my computer to be sure to end in the last 5 minutes (I work on a computer, because no Internet on my phone and I don't want it either);

2- end it sooner than that, but loose the "ending soonest" factor.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply