Have you ever sold something and couldn't find it.

I sell CD's and have about 10 thousand in my place in boxes.  I usually put the ones listed on ebay in a couple of CD shelving units but sometimes for whatever reason they never made it in there.  I sold something yesterday that wasn't where it was supposed to be and I spent a good 8 hours looking for it.  I found it finally and am relieved.  This has happened only a couple of times before and each time I say to myself, I will file this right away.  I thought I would post a pic of my ebay CD shelving organization.  

Has this ever happened to you?  Do you have a good method for keeping track?  What's does your system look like?

DSCN7877 (768x1024).jpg

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Have you ever sold something and couldn't find it.

My "inventory", which really is my personal collection that I'm selling, is not as big as yours. I organize my books by category. Or they are organized by the date I bought them since I usually buy a whole bunch at once, about 3-5 times a year. Normally I can find the book I sold with 10 minutes. Some of my boxes are under my bed, some in the closet, some sitting inside a tall drawer cabinet... I use colourful boxes / plastic containers that are meant for home-storage (not boring shipping boxes and I do not want dirty shipping boxes in my bedroom).

My not-book collection (figurines, folders, cards etc) is a different story. There were a couple times when I sold something on eBay and I can't remember if I sold it at a local market or if I misplaced them because I can't find them in my usual boxes (I give up after I looked through all possible places I could think of, or an hour), so I had to either refund the buyer or ask them to pick something else (and I do let them pick something pricier at no extra charge cuz it's my own mistake). So far my buyers were all very nice and were okay with refund or picking something pricier. This happened less than 10 times over the years of selling on eBay though. 

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

Would you believe, I can't find another one.  This only happens once in a blue moon, but has happened twice in 3 days.  Back to my looking for it. 

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

Found it, only took 5 hours this time.

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

This post gave me a good giggle 🙂 🙂

A few times I couldn't find something and I would start panicking wondering if I listed it again and it was sold already, if someone took it without me knowing, or if I gave it away.

Then I would take a deep breath and start looking again...  Usually it doesn't take too long to find it.

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 24 of 24
latest reply