How do I add Registered to my lettermail options for Canada with the new listing tool?

Hi-I am trying to make listings and don't know how to add Registered to my lettermail for Canada. I don't seem to have the same options on the eBay listing tool as I get through the Canada Post website so I am really confused as to how to get tracked, or signed for etc.,  in Canada. Thanks

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

How do I add Registered to my lettermail options for Canada with the new listing tool?

I don't believe Registered Lettermail is an option in the drop-down for domestic shipping.

But, since Registered Lettermail is a flat rate depending on the weight you can just select a generic flat rate shipping option such as "Standard Shipping" and add the appropriate rate for the weight of item you're selling. Maybe put a disclaimer in your description letting Canadian buyers know that a signature will be required upon delivery.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

All I did in my media store was use "Economy Shipping" for lettermail (since eBay's built-in lettermail times are unrealistic) and I added an option for "Expedited Shipping" at $9.75. I have a disclaimer that I can choose to modify the shipping method to an equivalent or better service (I put that in place mainly in the event of a postal strike or some kind of promo with another courier). Since Canada Post defines Expedited as 1-2 local, 1-4 regional, and 2-8 national and registered lettermail as 2 local, 3 regional, and 4 national it fits within the confines of being equivalent or better (imo).

Honestly though, registered is really a protection for you and probably isn't necessary unless you're shipping out higher value items. I think I've had 2 people total opt into paying the extra to ship something out tracked.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Many thanks. I just need some sort of tracking to make sure my item is delivered and I thought Registered was the only way I could do that. It is not big enough to be a parcel.  

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

All I did in my media store was use "Economy Shipping" for lettermail (since eBay's built-in lettermail times are unrealistic) and I added an option for "Expedited Shipping" at $9.75. I have a disclaimer that I can choose to modify the shipping method to an equivalent or better service (I put that in place mainly in the event of a postal strike or some kind of promo with another courier). Since Canada Post defines Expedited as 1-2 local, 1-4 regional, and 2-8 national and registered lettermail as 2 local, 3 regional, and 4 national it fits within the confines of being equivalent or better (imo).

Honestly though, registered is really a protection for you and probably isn't necessary unless you're shipping out higher value items. I think I've had 2 people total opt into paying the extra to ship something out tracked.

@flipistics 

Plus the cost of postage? Correct? According to the CP page for registed mail it does not cover the following. Was there any sort of declaration when you processed your envelops.

Canada Post will have no liability for loss or damage of Registered Mail items containing:

• Banknotes
  • Stocks
  • Bonds
  • Coupons or other securities negotiable by the bearer
  • Lottery tickets
  • Travellers’ cheques
  • Coins
  • Jewellery
  • Manufactured and non-manufactured precious metals
  • Precious stones
  • Gold bullion
  • Gold dust
  • Cancelled or uncancelled postage stamps

-Lotz

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies  Yes, plus postage. In my lettermail store everything is free shipping, so I only charge the actual registered cost. 

I don't think there's any declaration (I wasn't asked for one at any rate). I got a bunch of the labels (which can be picked up free with a business account) and you can just fill it out and slap it on (in addition to the regular addressing). The back of the label paper discloses that certain items aren't covered under insurance and directs you to the website. When you're ready to mail the item, you then tick the registered box when you fill out the EST online form to process the lettermail and it charges you the correct amount. I don't know how it would work with stamps. I assume you'd have to add enough to cover the registered amount or pay over the counter. I don't know if you can drop it off in the regular mail or if you have to drop it off at the counter.

This is what the sticker looks like (with the tracking number and barcode redacted):

IMG_5127.JPG

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies  Yes, plus postage. In my lettermail store everything is free shipping, so I only charge the actual registered cost. 

I don't think there's any declaration (I wasn't asked for one at any rate). I got a bunch of the labels (which can be picked up free with a business account) and you can just fill it out and slap it on (in addition to the regular addressing). The back of the label paper discloses that certain items aren't covered under insurance and directs you to the website. When you're ready to mail the item, you then tick the registered box when you fill out the EST online form to process the lettermail and it charges you the correct amount. I don't know how it would work with stamps. I assume you'd have to add enough to cover the registered amount or pay over the counter. I don't know if you can drop it off in the regular mail or if you have to drop it off at the counter.

This is what the sticker looks like (with the tracking number and barcode redacted):

IMG_5127.JPG

It was ages ago but last time I sent something registered I just did at a SD Depot. Paid the difference. I think the only concern would be "if" something didn't arrive and the process.

At the CP store the stickers are 4 cents per package of 10 with this disclaimer

Important Note: Until further notice, the recipient will be required to sign for the Registered Mail at a post office.

An adhesive label containing a tracking number and bar code used to identify the document or parcel as a registered commercial delivery within Canada. 

https://store.canadapost-postescanada.ca/store-boutique/en/p/533086583?icid=cta_int_search_recherche...

-Lotz

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Thanks for the help. I will pick up some labels next trip to town. Is there any other way of meeting eBay's request for tracking, proof of delivery etc. for higher value paper items via Canada Post as couriers aren't an option where I live?

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@tuckhouse2021 wrote:

Thanks for the help. I will pick up some labels next trip to town. Is there any other way of meeting eBay's request for tracking, proof of delivery etc. for higher value paper items via Canada Post as couriers aren't an option where I live?

@tuckhouse2021 

There are also the prepaid cardboard and bubble regional envelops. To get the best bang for your buck really depends on size of item and where you are mailing to. Similar with 3 sizes of prepaid boxes that are available at the postal outlets. See link for pricing. Individual units at postal outlets. Quantity pricing at CP Boutique with a Solutions for Small Business account.

https://store.canadapost-postescanada.ca/store-boutique/en/8/c/flat-rate-prepaid-products

-Lotz

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

You can use most regular tracked CP services on envelopes or oversized envelopes.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

You can use most regular tracked CP services on envelopes or oversized envelopes.

Yup.  I once received a document in a legal-sized envelope with a big Xpresspost label slapped on it.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

eBay does not monitor the movement of registered letters.

When I use this option I enter the tracking number on item(s) and advise the buyer about it. I recommend to follow on Canada Post website until the letter leaves Canada and a couple days later to do so on his (her) country's postal system althought it may not be very resultative.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I use the domestic Registered (Red Label shown above) quite regularly. Its a lot cheaper to mail a hockey card for $11.69 (1.94 oversize rate + 9.75 registered fee) Then to print a shipping label. I have a level 2 discount and the fuel surcharges are ridiculous so registered letter is at least $2.50-$8.00 in savings  depending where in the country it is going.

Havent had anyone complain about having to go to the post office to sign for them in the 3 years I been using them. And no issues with it as a whole.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I thought Registered was the only way I could do that. It is not big enough to be a parcel.

Everything is big enough to be a parcel.

The dimensions are maximums not minimums.

Be aware that Registered Mail is only tracked within Canada. It won't be tracked by foreign postal systems.

I suppose you could also put the $9.75 registration fee as your handling charge, but while your buyer would not see that as a line item, it would also be charged on your foreign shipments.

Tracked Packet USA starts at $12.56 for up to 100gr,  and using the handling charge plus letter rate your customer would pay $12.94. slightly more than Tracked Packet.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

For the record, and a slightly different situation, Canada Post delivered a shipment today and I was asked to sign for it at the door.

It's been a couple of years since that happened.

EBay has been accepting the carrier's affirmation that the parcel was delivered for some time. However this delivery was well over eBay's $750 price point for Signature Confirmation. (Not an eBay purchase.)

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

For anyone that wasnts to send things Registered Lettermail (domestically only, might I add), you can just ask your local  post office for a few of the white and red labels that @flipistics shows - they are free for post offices to order and they likely have tons of them on hand.

Just slap the barcoded sticker on the front and then take it to a post office to have postage applied to it. Or if you're a stamp person you can just apply your own stamps, the total just needs to add up to the Lettermail rate PLUS the cost of registration (currently $9.75, but it's going up in January - I think to just $10 though). While you probably could just toss it in a mailbox and it would get tracked just fine I wouldn't suggest it; the whole point of Registered Lettermail is that you have Proof of Acceptance (in addition to Proof of Delivery), and you can't really get that proof of acceptance without depositing it directly at a post office. They may have the right to deny a missing item claim if the Registered Letter wasn't originated at a post office.

And yeah, like @reallynicestamps said, you can send anything via parcel rate. People will send regular letters by Xpresspost or Priority all the time simply because they're guaranteed to arrive faster than Registered Lettermail.

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

This guide for Jan 9, 2023 still shows $9.75

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/doc/en/support/LM-e.pdf

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

I might be mistaken, I thought it was going up. I'll double check the Infomessages sent to our post office when I'm at work next. Would be great if it wasn't!

Message 18 of 18
latest reply