How do I use the UR number

katoro-4
Community Member

Hello guys,

I sold an item almost 3 weeks ago using US Air Small Packet. I received a tracking number

from Ebay and a UR number shows on the label.  Canada Post said the item is untrackable

or that it could just be late getting to the customer. Is there a way to use the UR number

to locate this package? A seller in older post said she uses her UR number to track her

shipment - how is this done. Thanks

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You have to add that UR number at the time of label purchase, so it is available at time of shipment for eBay's"tracking" abilities..

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

katoro-4
Community Member

I didn't realize that. Probably too late now though.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

If you are using the desktop version you can Edit the "tracking" number you see... When you click on it you will be able to add another number, if you have the UR*********CA number enter it and it will eventually update or should.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

as stated above, you can enter the UR/CA tracking number long after the item is marked shipped.  There shouldn't be any other tracking number already entered, unless you put one in by mistake.  Whatever the case, add the UR/CA tracking number for your package and select USPS as the shipper.   Within 12-24 hours the most up to date tracking info should appear.  Sometimes there are missed scans but most should be there.  About 10% of the time i find there is no delivery scan, but the rest of the time there is.  It's pretty reliable.

A couple of important notes.  The UR/CA tracking info ONLY shows up on Ebay.  It will not show up on the USPS website or Canada Post's website.   Also, when adding the tracking number this long after shipping the item,  the shipping date will update to the day you added the tracking number.  In other words it will look like you shipped the package weeks later than you actually did.  Not a huge issue but something to be aware of.  

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

There shouldn't be any other tracking number already entered, unless you put one in by mistake. 

It wasn't the seller who entered the current 'tracking' info.  When eBay shipping is used for small packet they add a transaction number in the tracking field.   This number can't be removed and doesn't give the buyer or seller any information but the UR number can be added to a second tracking field and checked from there.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

As stated by @fergua3 it will update even after a few weeks, the only thing is, it will change the shipping date on the item on the eBay site. This is not an issue as the tracking will show the actual shipping date and & if you purchase your shipping labels on eBay it's already in the system.

So if you have the UR*********CA number use it...

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Is your customer complaining?
If not, don't do anything.  It will arrive. The postal system is very good at its job.

Watching tracking is not useful.

The tracking number is our Seller Protection against unwarranted Not Received (INR) claims.

When we use an untracked service, like Small Packet, we are depending on the efficiency of the postal system and the honesty of our buyer.

Both work just fine most of the time.

Using the UR number is just a bit of marketing to soothe the more nervous buyer by telling him his purchase is on its way.

For the occasional claim we have Cookie Jar Insurance.

This is just putting  a few virtual pennies from every sale into a virtual Cookie Jar as a sort of premium against false claims  -- or real claims when the purchase is delayed. (Yes, sometimes the customer is right. Who'da thunk?)

The Cookie Jar also holds the virtual savings from not using expensive international tracking services.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply