GST Number

Tomorrow, eBay begins to charge Canadian buyers the appropriate GST/HST/QST/PST on all (taxable) purchases, so almost everything.

Typically, when one buys something online or in stores, the seller would provide a receipt with a GST registration number and a PST registration number in case the buyer can claim Input Tax Credits (ITC) or perpaps for other reasons.

eBay handles collection and remitance to the proper tax authorities but do they also provide these GST registration number and a PST registration number or HST numbers when appropriated or QST in the case of sales to residents of Quebec?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

GST Number

I don't know the answer to your question.

Personally I include a packing list/invoice with every order and it does include my GST number. Now that eBay is collecting GST on my behalf my PS/Invoice will still show my GST number.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

GST Number

We will find out in 6 hours!

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

GST Number

I asked the question somewhere and I believe I was told that sellers would not be required to print anything off to include in the packages. Presumably that means eBay will include the information on what they send the buyer similar to what you would receive from other online venues. I'm hoping that information will also be an option on the packing slip you can print off via eBay if you wish to (we'll see).

I wouldn't recommend using your own receipts anymore though, especially if they include your own GST number. That would mean two entities claiming tax paid on the same item.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

GST Number

For what it's worth, my occasional purchases from The River no longer contain printed invoices (or, more accurately, receipts).  I have to dig into my purchase history to find something that has a GST registration number on it.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

GST Number

@flipistics wrote:
... I wouldn't recommend using your own receipts anymore though, especially if they include your own GST number. That would mean two entities claiming tax paid on the same item.

If ebay is your authorized agent, they are collecting the tax on your behalf -- and should be using your GST number, so it will not be a double claim for the same item.

-l-

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

GST Number

I've had a taxable sale under the new system.

The GST/HST was applied and the amount shows on the documentation, but there is no GST/HST number on anything I can see, but I may not be looking in the right place?

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

GST Number

@ricarmic wrote:

I've had a taxable sale under the new system.

The GST/HST was applied and the amount shows on the documentation, but there is no GST/HST number on anything I can see, but I may not be looking in the right place?

What "documentation" are you referring to?

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

GST Number

Hi @marnotom! that is a good question.

I was trying to find forms on my side that I think the buyer would see.

The closest thing I found was the "packing slip" (the "order slip" says it's not for the buyer).

It has the notation that GST/HST was applied and the amount like it shows for the US IST, but nowhere on the form is the eBay GST number. (Nor mine).

A truly useful response would be from someone who's a buyer regarding what they see on their side.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

GST Number

Anyone had any sales to a PST/QST province? Does it all get lumped in or is it on a seperate line?

I have had a few sales to Onatrio so its all lumped together anyhow. I went to send an invoice to someone else and it shows 2 seperate lines on the invoice with "estimated tax GST/HST" and "estimated tax PST/QST" but the buyer is again in Ontario so all in the GST/HST line

Just curious if they show up seperate when checking the order history once paid!

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

GST Number

kc_syb
Community Member

Now that ebay is collecting GST they need to provide their GST registration number somewhere. I just made my first purchase since they started applying GST and they didn't get it right. No surprise there. I bought an item from a Candian seller and got charged GST plus local PST. They should have only applied the GST portion. It also isn't clear whether they will or won't be collecting GST on used items as well as for new items.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

GST Number

@kc_syb wrote:

Now that ebay is collecting GST they need to provide their GST registration number somewhere. I just made my first purchase since they started applying GST and they didn't get it right. No surprise there. I bought an item from a Candian seller and got charged GST plus local PST. They should have only applied the GST portion. It also isn't clear whether they will or won't be collecting GST on used items as well as for new items.

What makes you think they are not required to collect PST?

Why would you think used goods would not be subject to GST/HST (and PST)?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 12 of 25
latest reply

GST Number

Whether the item is new or used makes absolutely no difference. Both are fully taxed, both federal and provincial portions. It's the same as if you bought a new or used item from Value Village.  They do appear to be screwing up taxes on currency and bullion though.

As for the tax registration numbers though, yes, that is a big problem they need to address fast. The seller has no control over that. Sellers don't even know what that number is, and we can't use our own in its place.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

GST Number

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@flipistics wrote:
... I wouldn't recommend using your own receipts anymore though, especially if they include your own GST number. That would mean two entities claiming tax paid on the same item.

If ebay is your authorized agent, they are collecting the tax on your behalf -- and should be using your GST number, so it will not be a double claim for the same item.

-l-

In the past for any sellers that were collecting tax many showed the GST # (IST?) on their listings page and I believe on their PS to customer. Same went for US and Intl sellers. Ebay may be collecting on a sellers behalf but those funds collected should be directly tied(connected) to that seller. Correct? Who knew selling on eBay would eventually required a BA in tax law?

-Lotz

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

GST Number

In the past for any sellers that were collecting tax many showed the GST # (IST?) on their listings page and I believe on their PS to customer. Same went for US and Intl sellers. Ebay may be collecting on a sellers behalf but those funds collected should be directly tied(connected) to that seller. Correct? Who knew selling on eBay would eventually required a BA in tax law?

-Lotz

Yeah, it's a little unclear exactly how it works. I think the basic idea is that as long as the appropriate tax is collected and remitted, the government doesn't care who does it. Since we (will) have monthly statements showing how much was collected and remitted from our sales, that should theoretically be sufficient to tie it to us. The part that's a little more unclear is how it works when insufficient tax is collected and how that process will be handled. eBay has (sort of informally) said that they'll take care of it themselves, but I'll believe that when I see it.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

GST Number

@flipistics wrote:

-Lotz

Yeah, it's a little unclear exactly how it works. I think the basic idea is that as long as the appropriate tax is collected and remitted, the government doesn't care who does it. Since we (will) have monthly statements showing how much was collected and remitted from our sales, that should theoretically be sufficient to tie it to us. The part that's a little more unclear is how it works when insufficient tax is collected and how that process will be handled. eBay has (sort of informally) said that they'll take care of it themselves, but I'll believe that when I see it.

Regarding the last part of your post...Will sellers and buyers be credited automagically or is some kind of imaginary form to fill in? If yas don't ask ya won't see scenario? All I know since MP kicked in, anything credit related has become a non entity. 

-Lotz

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

GST Number

velvet@ebay   Hope you had a pleasant weekend.

Now, get back to work!

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

GST Number

My guess is that today's Velvet's holiday.....

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

GST Number

Is there a way to confirm they received our GST/HST numbers when we submitted the form?  There was no confirmation or anything when I submitted mine.  How do we know everything is correct and taxable sales are using our tax numbers?

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

GST Number

I sent mine in on June 2nd, have never heard back.

devon@ebay is there any word regarding what we will receive back in terms of acknowledgement and when? THX very much for your help with this!

Message 20 of 25
latest reply