GST Number

Tomorrow, eBay begins to charge Canadian buyers the appropriate GST/HST/QST/PST on all (taxable) purchases, so almost everything.

Typically, when one buys something online or in stores, the seller would provide a receipt with a GST registration number and a PST registration number in case the buyer can claim Input Tax Credits (ITC) or perpaps for other reasons.

eBay handles collection and remitance to the proper tax authorities but do they also provide these GST registration number and a PST registration number or HST numbers when appropriated or QST in the case of sales to residents of Quebec?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: GST Number

That's pretty ridiculous not to receive any confirmation back nor be able to see in our account that eBay is now reporting taxes for us under our tax numbers to the CRA.

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

@biglittleape wrote:

Is there a way to confirm they received our GST/HST numbers when we submitted the form?  There was no confirmation or anything when I submitted mine.  How do we know everything is correct and taxable sales are using our tax numbers?

It really would be nice to see confirmation of some sort.  eBay has stated that it DOES NOT use our tax numbers. The tax is collected by eBay and submitted under eBay's numbers.

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

I sent mine in on June 2nd, have never heard back.

devon@ebay is there any word regarding what we will receive back in terms of acknowledgement and when? THX very much for your help with this!

Hi @ricarmic. I have reached out to the team working on this and as soon as I hear something back I will update yourslef and other members. 

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

devon@ebay 

Update! I have received the countersigned Billing Agent Authorization document back moments ago via email!

It included a notation that there are no further steps for me to complete!

So I  suspect others will get theirs soon! (Remember I sent mine in on June 2).

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

@ight.coin see this thread for the answer, ebay's number is the one that should be on the receipts

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Billing-Agent-Authorization-process-ricarmic-experiences... 

Message 25 of 25
latest reply