How do you print your labels

katoro-4
Community Member

Hello all,

Do you use an inkjet printer or a thermal printer for your labels. I have

an inkjet, but it tends to go offline sometimes just when I need to print

a label. If you have a thermal printer do you like it? Any issues with it?

Kat

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: How do you print your labels

thermal user here, a used Zebra 2844, never going back to a laser (for labels) never going back to an inkjet for ANY useage.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

I got a thermal printer for Christmas, was a pain in the bum to set up (my computer wasnt recognizing it for some reason, and the online help was useless) but once I got there a day later its great!I assume this was a one off and most people WONT have this kind of issue.

My dad even got the added feature where it seperates the label from the paper lol which is quite nice. I have a Zebra ZD621

I will print a label on paper if I need to for larger ones to USA or soemthing with more customs paper work, but that wont be many going forward. Not having to tape the labels on is wonderful!!!

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

So a thermal printer does not use any ink?
Can you use any paper?

I prefer to print my labels on paper if possible and I am also using my printer for business records and creative writing.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

No ink 🙂

and no to paper, the labels come in a roll or a fan fold, depending on the kind of thermal printer you have.

You can buy labels on a regular size paper that you can print using alaser/ink jet printer, it has (2) 4x6 labels per sheet ( I have never done this, but had looked into it before)

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

it is all relative>>sheets of paper or rolls of labels>and this all= an expense; all equates to a useage of "printing" supplies, including "paper". Ink and paper vs thermal printing which is a process by which the label material is heat sensitive, which can fade and the label can become hard to read and scan over time.( Thermal printers require the use of specialized paper that changes color when exposed to heat.)

It all comes down to personal preference and printer needs >> the variety and/or lack thereof for the tasks that are able to be performed by each type of printer...

I have been using a laser printer for so many years now I can't remember when I got the first one...

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

So a thermal printer does not use any ink?
Can you use any paper?

I prefer to print my labels on paper if possible and I am also using my printer for business records and creative writing.

Ideally, anything on the outside of a parcel should be printed on proper labels using either a thermal printer or a laser printer. The label material is durable, withstands cold better, shouldn't tear, and the writing shouldn't run or have other problems if it gets a little damp or wet, etc. Laser printers HATE printing one label at a time (the manuals usually say not to, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do) so they'll do a good job but aren't the best option. A thermal printer really is wonderful.

If you do get one, make sure you get one that can do 4x6 labels, and keep in mind that some brands (*cough Dymo 5 series*) will only accept their brand of label which is naturally more expensive. Labels can usually be bought in bulk at a much better price than single rolls.  I'm even using them now for lettermail as they stick better and are more convenient.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

" Laser printers HATE printing one label at a time" (the manuals usually say not to...,)"

?????>>no such problem with any of the laser printers I have owned nor any such instruction as to printing "labels"....

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

I have had a smaller thermal printer Brother QL570 for well over 10 years. It usues like 2x3 size labels (I was using for all shipments lettermail and still am)

I had a stockpile of toner that I have been using and finally ran out in November, and the price of toner is insane these days to when I bought my stockpile years ago. I finally ran out and thats when I got the thermal Zebra for christmas. It was something I had looked into before and I am printing WAY more shipping labels now, and the taping paper to packages was getting to be annoying when doing 5+ a day (also my stockpile of ebay tape is running thinner lol). I was also annoyed at having to turn the paper to use the other half to not waste paperand had half cut pages to feed in etc. Im happy with my thermal printer now and wouldnt go back lol, but It's not for everyone do whatever works for you,

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I stil use regular paper with my old ink jet printer but one of these days I will have to change.  I've never had a problem with the labels tearing or getting wet as I put them in a free  labelope envelope from Canada Post.  

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

You can buy a "mega tank" printer that for all intents and purposes will never run out of black ink. It costs about $200. In addition to that, Canada Post offers free shipping pouches through their online store. 

I previously used a Zebra label printer when I was shipping a high volume of items on eBay. At my current volume, I use a mega tank printer. Desk space is at a premium, and switching between various machines and platforms I found that the Zebra printer was more likely to require troubleshooting when inkjet just works.

I think something like a Brother Label printer (for address labels) is essential for eBay in Canada because of how much of a hassle printing and taping lettermail labels is. I don't think a Zebra or full size mailing label printer is essential unless you are doing higher volumes to where the time saved between messing around with a pouch or tape vs sticking a label to a package is going to add up. Given that ink is now a sunk cost with inkjet printers, there isn't much point in having two devices. 

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

" Laser printers HATE printing one label at a time" (the manuals usually say not to...,)"

?????>>no such problem with any of the laser printers I have owned nor any such instruction as to printing "labels"....

The problem with 8.5 x 11 label sheets is that once you remove one of the labels the risk increases that when you print the second label that the label or the remaining bits from the first label will come off inside your laser printer and get stuck to the rollers. This is either a complete pain to clear or in some cases make the printer unusable.

Thermal labels are more expensive than regular sheet labels for laser or simply printing on paper with tape but the convienience factor more than makes up for that.

I did the cut and tape on paper for years, switched to thermal (used Zebra on Kijiji with 4 rolls (250 each) for $125, these printers have an extremely long life, I know people who have printed about 100,000 without any problem.

Hard to get even 25,000 prints from regular laser without having to replace the drum. My current laser is a Brother, good machine but the toner and drum are integrated so it's not so cheap to operate (still much less than ANY type of ink jet).

ALL the profit in printers is in the consumables.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I had same laser printer for many years and it printed labels on plain white  8-1/2 X 11 inch sheets of paper without any issues...same as current laser printer which have had for a few years now...

Have never had a problem with printing one label at a time(never had any such experience with "remaining bits from the first label will come off inside your laser printer and get stuck to the rollers."  and therefore never had ANY of the issues you have mentioned... I generally print at least 2 labels,so that I retain one for my records... sometimes print 3 labels so I have an extra if needed.

Just as an added note, have always had HP laser printers...

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

I have 2 old Samsung ML-10 laser printers I bought about a month apart at 2 different thrift stores around 10 years ago, still running fine. I refill the cartridges myself with bulk toner.  I was given a huge box of label paper from where I work, they bought the wrong size and couldn't return it. I I tried it and found out it was thermal paper, you CANNOT use thermal paper in a laser printer!

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

I had same laser printer for many years and it printed labels on plain white  8-1/2 X 11 inch sheets of paper without any issues...same as current laser printer which have had for a few years now...

Have never had a problem with printing one label at a time(never had any such experience with "remaining bits from the first label will come off inside your laser printer and get stuck to the rollers."  and therefore never had ANY of the issues you have mentioned... I generally print at least 2 labels,so that I retain one for my records... sometimes print 3 labels so I have an extra if needed.

Just as an added note, have always had HP laser printers...

If you are printing on plain paper then there is no issue. I was referring to people who use sheet labels with mutiple labels per sheet (often 2 - 4"x6" labels per 8.5"/11" sheet).

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

Not sure if it's available on 'modern' printers, my old Samsung has a slot in the front and a flap in the back you can fold down, allowing straight-through printing. That works great for sticky labels, even sheets of  small (.5" x 1.5") ones.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

I have an inkjet, but I use half sheets and can print on stickers if needed.

I can also use the "recycled" ink cartridges as I got my HP before they put that "software" which prevents clone ink, I think mine was the last model able to use clone ink.

HP are real ...

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

I can also use the "recycled" ink cartridges as I got my HP before they put that "software" which prevents clone ink, I think mine was the last model able to use clone ink.

HP are real ...

Even more so now after their new subscription model, which is even worse than their genuine only software. That's also not including their driver fiasco a while ago.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

@brettjet38 wrote:

HP are real ...

Even more so now after their new subscription model, which is even worse than their genuine only software. That's also not including their driver fiasco a while ago.

I heard about that driver mishap (sarcasim), they are making it so that you really do not "own" anything...

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

I have two thermal printers. One is a Brother QL-700 that I use for printing address labels for Lettermail items - works awesome and the labels are super cheap if you buy generics from Amazon. Got this bad boy on sale on Amazon for like $30 or $40 many years ago and haven't had any issues.

Used to use my laser printer for shipping labels (along with the free Labelopes from Canada Post) but was gifted a generic 4x6" thermal printer as a Christmas gift a couple years ago. It's just one of the random Chinese brands (Logia to be specific) but has worked perfectly fine for the last couple years. I'm happy with it. So much easier than dealing with toner, cutting paper labels, and then affixing them to packages (plus it just looks a heck of a lot more professional!). You can get cheap thermal printers like these on Amazon for under $100 bucks these days; some of them even offer fancy options like wireless printing.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply