I seem to have hit a wall?

I hate to be one of those people who complain about slow sales but right around the election in the US my sales came to a complete stop. I actually had a defect send me to "below average" but ebay support removed it and I went back to above. Just in case I delisted and relisted everything (as "sell similar") but it hasn't helped.

I know that the economy is not good and when selling collectible type things that really matters but seeing it come to a dead stop like this is pretty unusual. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Hi! For the small stuff, the shipping appears to be very high and out of line....for example this item with price of $7 shows to me shipping of $20.11 - we're both in Canada, and I can't imagine this keychain needs packaging over 20mm so it should ship for $1.94 or $3.19?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Prince-of-Tennis-Keychain-Strap-Authentic-Anime-Japan/193745450662?hash=item...

It is going to be hard to find folks who want a $7 item enough to pay 3 times that in shipping to get it to their door.....at least I wouldn't.

As a note, I would say that this is probably a banner year for selling collectibles online because folks are locked up in their homes looking for things to do..... at least in my world things are booming (stamps)......

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

I agree, sales came to a screeching halt for me a couple of months this year.  Then all of a sudden I make 5-6 sales over 2-3 days, then stops again. 

The way it is coming in waves at a time almost makes me feel like my listings go low priority on search, then suddenly they appear and I make sales then they go away. Not being a conspiracy theorist or anything at all just feels very 'uneven'.

Message 3 of 45
latest reply

The only thing I can add is that we can't compare our sales as this week to last week or this month to last month.

Over many years in mail order, I have learned that there is a rhythm to sales.

For me summer is slowish, the Christmas period is dead, and my strongest sales start on Boxing Day and continue into March.

Your mileage will differ.

Since almost everything I sell is not "giftable" there goes holiday buying. But if your products run to new toys and games, you should be busy.

There was a "pandemic surge" that caught everyone by surprise, including shippers,  that ran from about March to late June.

New sellers are believed to get a boost in Search, but that ends after a month or so.

When we have sales, we get a boost in Search-- there's probably a Biblical parable about that.

I have found Promoted Listings helpful in getting Views. My choice of fee is one percent and that is only charged if the PL item sells.

Message 4 of 45
latest reply

I've had numerous people steal items so my shipping is all tracked. I had the smalls as lettermail previously but it was causing me endless grief with lost packages & defects (late delivery.)

I don't know how to ship them cheaply but then also avoid those defects. Any ideas?

Currently my late delivery percentage is at "high" after a few fell off (was very high before.) 

And yes, summer was awsomely high but I've never gone more than a couple days without /some/ kind of sale. I guess it could be that people don't want this stuff for Christmas. 

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

Here is how you fix your shipping defects that you may have had with lettermail. Change your shipping policy so your shipping service is Economy Shipping, and not Lettermail. Economy gives a delivery window that is about 30 days long, which helps account for the occasional lettermail delay. eBay's lettermail timeframe is unrealistic. You can also increase your handling time to 3 days. Economy Shipping is a generic term so it isn't as if you are falsely advertising your shipping service. I've noticed, almost every eBay seller who uses lettermail does this because eBay goes by Canada Post's lettermail standard, which is not guaranteed, and as a result is unrealistic.

Second, send the buyer a message when the item ships. I understand eBay sends a notification when you click off the shipped box, but especially right now people are more patient if they know that their item absolutely did get handed off to Canada Post. You can write up a stock message to do this. This is a good opportunity to open the line of communication with buyers in case there is an issue, market your store for repeat business, and assure them that their item actually was shipped.

Lastly, if you have 1300 items, and you aren't selling anything, it means there are things you can learn and improve on. This isn't a bad thing, it's a great opportunity to experiment and see what works and what doesn't work for you.

The customers are there. and I think your biggest problem is that requiring tracked shipping prices them out from buying some of your lowest cost items. So I would reconsider using tracked shipping. You are going to lose packages to INR claims. That's part of the cost of doing business with lower profit items in Canada on eBay. What you need to do is look at it purely economically. It is no different than looking at something like the cost of bubble mailers, or whether the percentage of fees eBay charges you makes selling viable.

If you lose 10 bucks every time someone makes an INR claim, is the increased volume of sales via being able to ship for 3 dollars instead of 13 worth it? You said you're not really moving any items right now. Let's say by going back to lettermail, you can sell an extra 20 items a month, but you'll lose 1 a month to an INR. Would the profit from those 19 additional orders that were successfully delivered make the cost of the 1 INR worth it? In that scenario, the answer will almost certainly be yes. I don't know what your long term sales were like with lettermail, or your ratio of losses. So you'd have to work the numbers and figure out if it is worth going back to untracked shipping. My hunch would be that it is, but I know every category has different rates of INR losses.

It is also possible that you were getting a higher rate of INRs because of using the lettermail shipping service designation on eBay that gives you a shorter window for shipping (as discussed in the first paragraph). While I don't doubt that some of the INRs were people genuinely scamming you, I'm equally sure that some were people who don't understand that cross country lettermail can occasionally take 2-4 weeks, pre-emptively opened a claim thinking they were doing their due diligence, and later received the item after you had to refund them. So some of the INRs may have been caused by too short of a delivery window. While rare, some worst case lettermail scenarios can take 25-40 days.

A productive way to revamp your store might be to go through some of your higher end items and search eBay's sold listings to see if your prices are still competitive with what they are selling at compared to when you first listed the items. Prices for out of print items fluctuate all the time, and buyers aren't always willing to equalize against that through the best offer feature. So it is better to re-price things periodically. Keep in mind, this doesn't always mean dropping the price of the item, you might find an item that you've accidentally underpriced. But in general, if your items aren't selling, they probably aren't priced competitively enough. In certain categories, there might be creative ways to create value for your target customers, but in a lot of cases your way to create value on eBay will be to have the best looking listing presentation wise (Good photos, clear title, "free" shipping, being easy to find via good 'Best Match' placement) and to have a price that is competitive with others.

For items that ship "parcel" and not lettermail due to size, if your prices are in line with what they are actually selling for. I would also consider getting rid of your shipping charge for US and Canada, and baking the shipping price into the listing. For items that can ship Tracked Packet to the USA (which looks to be a lot of what you sell), the price is in a similar ballpark to what it costs to ship an item regular parcel within Canada. So calculated shipping doesn't have much benefit, unless it is a really heavy item. If you budget an average of $20 an item, and add that to the BIN price, it will look a lot more attractive to buyers. So instead of selling something for 80 BIN + 20 shipping, you'd sell it for 100 w/ "free" shipping. Having free shipping simplifies things. When someone searches for an item on eBay, they are accosted with sometimes dozens of options. So it goes back to having the best presentation and making your item easy for someone to want to click on and know what they are getting into.

The only benefit to charging for shipping would be if you have a large customer base, and they are likely to be interested in buying multiple items at once to benefit from combined shipping and lower their overall cost per item. Some sports card sellers who have very large inventories can pull this off, because there is a lot of cross appeal with player/team collectors. I don't think this would be as likely for the type of items you sell, and the number your inventory is at, but I could be wrong - you'd be the best person to answer that question based on your prior sales.

You look to have some good items, and it sounds like you had some success in the past, so I'm sure with a bit of experimenting you can increase your sales. Best of luck!
Message 6 of 45
latest reply

I suspect like most of my customers, they collect for themselves rather than for friends and family.   So a dropoff before the holidays makes sense.

If you are lucky, you will find that collectors build up their need to collect and on Boxing Day and for a few weeks thereafter they are looking for a fix.  sunglasses

Many of my customers are eBay sellers who prefer to use stamps (purchased at a discount) over labels for their tracked packages.

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

Second, send the buyer a message when the item ships.

I strongly agree with this. My own preference is to do this in the feedback I leave on shipment giving the date of the shipment and the service I used.

This also helps me see easily where I had gaps in sales, since eBay hasn't shown dates in FB for some years now.

Message 8 of 45
latest reply

Thank you so much, this is really helpful advice! I did find that the lettermail option was totally unrealistic and was wondering why it was always so horrible, that would be why. 

I did go back and reprice everything when I relisted so my prices are in line. I did have free shipping for a while but I never found it made much difference but I suppose I could try again. I think my biggest fight for a lot of things is there is an absolutely massive amount of fakes from Chinese sellers that aren't dealt with (Japanese companies don't care?) so mine look astronomical in comparison. 

Message 9 of 45
latest reply

There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to getting sales. I have had steady sales most of the time but recently had 5 days with no sales. Then the next day I had 4 sales in a row.  Go figure.

Message 10 of 45
latest reply

I think free shipping makes a difference in helping increase the chances a buyer clicks on your listing. and increasing the chance it converts into a buy.

It looks better in the search listing, and also helps increase the chances that your item is chosen by the Best Match algorithm. Half the battle of eBay is being one of the first 2 or 3 listings displayed, and then looking the most appealing to click on out of those first 2 or 3.

Then as far as conversion goes, it removes barriers from hitting BIN or Add to Cart. They buyer knows what the all in price is. There is less of a chance for them to mess around with calculated shipping and think about whether they want to buy the item.

As far as knockoffs go, I do agree that knockoffs probably sell more because they are cheaper, but I think for collectibles the market for genuine goods and knockoffs doesn't overlap as much. One thing I sell is genuine hockey jerseys, and I generally expect most jerseys to sit on eBay for 3 months if I want the upper end of their market value. (Some sell right away, but not always). Hockey jerseys also have an issue with counterfeits, but I don't think there is an exact cross over. The people who buy counterfeits would never spend $100-$500 for a genuine jersey, and the people who are hardcore collectors and would spend $500 for a rare authentic jersey would not be caught dead with a counterfeit. If your items are priced in line with the market, then maybe it is an issue where either through the pictures, or the listing content, collectors aren't sure if what you're selling is genuine. That would be my only guess.

My advice would still be to overhaul all your prices and ensure that your total price (BIN+Shipping) is in line with the market for what you're selling. You might be surprised at how quickly prices can either go up or down for certain out of print goods. Again, if I am wrong about this, you can feel free to ignore it - but that would be my first hunch about higher priced items not selling.

For your lower priced items, I think the issue is the tracked shipping. If you charged lettermail, you could drop the price by 10+ dollars, which would make you more competitive at the expense of opening yourself up to INR cases.
Message 11 of 45
latest reply

@cidsa_dragoon wrote:

I've had numerous people steal items so my shipping is all tracked. I had the smalls as lettermail previously but it was causing me endless grief with lost packages & defects (late delivery.)

I don't know how to ship them cheaply but then also avoid those defects. Any ideas?

Currently my late delivery percentage is at "high" after a few fell off (was very high before.) 

And yes, summer was awsomely high but I've never gone more than a couple days without /some/ kind of sale. I guess it could be that people don't want this stuff for Christmas. 

Likehockey arleady provided a very comprehensive good answer.

The only thoughts I have to add are:

Our feelings about how much stuff is lost is usually higher than the actual loss rate. If you haven't already, physically count how many losses vs how many sales you had of the low end stuff. (I did this as an experiment myself during the "worst" of covid and despite how I felt (that much was being lost) it was just marginally worse than normal in reality).

Once you know your actual loss rate, you'll know what "markup" you need to put on the item when it goes lettermail. So if it is a whopping 10%, add 10% to the price and or shipping cost, this is your "cookie jar insurance" installment for that item.

You had originally asked why your stuff wasn't selling, I think for the low end stuff, the answer is simply that your move to everything tracked, to protect yourself, has priced you out of the market. 

Message 12 of 45
latest reply

I altered my shipping to economy and it's improved somewhat, I had some sales. I did recheck the bigger items and they are in line with the market, I think it's just that people aren't spending that kind of money right now. 

The changes have definitely helped a lot though, thank you! I'm not super worried about refunding small amounts, it was the packages marked as late delivery that were getting to be a problem but hopefully the economy estimate makes this easier. 

Message 13 of 45
latest reply

It is always a good idea to experiment, different things work in different categories.

We all have slow periods, when I have them, I try new things like promoted listings, sales, auctions, etc etc. When I find something that works I keep using it until the next slow period.

In my world things have been hopping since COVID began so I haven't had to do any experimenting this year at all.....
Message 14 of 45
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys   said:

but I think for collectibles the market for genuine goods and knockoffs doesn't overlap as much.

I peeked at a couple of your listings and thinking about the counterfeit problem, I wonder if you could improve your pictures.

Flat things scan better than they photograph and you can focus tightly with a scan on print.

Like this:

VOGUE 1519 2.jpegVOGUE 1519 5.jpeg

These are scanned details of a sewing pattern.  I also use scans to focus on  details of a particular stamp, but these were easier to find in my desktop pictures file.

My thinking is that the counterfeits would show the 'wrong' information about where they were made or what company made them.
I've photographed and also scanned garment labels in the past too.

That's odd. I don't seem to be able to enlarge your pictures or even change them.  Do you have the Gallery enabled? I believe it 's free with your Store subscription. Or it might be my machine being difficult.

Message 15 of 45
latest reply

I could do close ups like that but from what I know from working conventions, a lot of people have no idea what to look for when it comes to counterfeit Japanese goods. They just see something they want and go for the lowest price, not knowing any better. It's not quite the same as collector sports memorabilia and the like where the buyers are generally really savvy. 

I do have the gallery enabled but for a lot of the smalls I don't do huge images as my phone makes them quite grainy. They will show up pretty well for mobile though, I optimized for that mainly. 

Message 16 of 45
latest reply

Forgot one more thing, I'm going to try to run a little sale this month and see if that helps push things along! 

Message 17 of 45
latest reply

That's where the scanner comes in handy. I can go from 300 dpi (my norm for book covers) to 600 dpi (used for stamps) to 1200 dpi for details on a stamp, with no blurring.

I did find scanning my Firefly action figures was not a good idea though.

I disagree about the collectors going for the cheap stuff. But I have been going to SF/F cons since my university days, with my first WorldCon being TorConII in 1973. Cons are very strict about fake merch in my experience. Of course, those who buy from other sellers may not be sophisticated enough to realize they are buying fakes. Or understand why their collection will have no lasting value. 
 I'm enough of a purist to believe that it is always worth while educating the customer. But then I am old and cranky.

"Well, maybe I'm not a fancy gentleman like you, with your ... very fine hat. But I do business. We're here for business."-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 18 of 45
latest reply

Yeah, I've been going since 1995 and selling at cons since 1999. The issue is that anime fans tend to be less savvy on fakes as many are younger. We actually run a panel at the convention I work at about spotting fakes in order to educate people. My job at the cons is to keep fakes out of it *because* the attendees don't know better.  This is obviously great in a controlled setting like that but not so much when it's a free for all like Ebay. 

I do know that a lot of collectors have moved to other sites because of the fake problem on Ebay which is another snag and why I've tried to branch out to other things. My Japanese stuff was originally just me selling at shows only but with covid I had to jump here and it's tough. 

I can easily make the images incredibly large but I was finding it was causing more issues than solving and the relevant info is visible in the smaller images anyway. 

Message 19 of 45
latest reply

If you aren't already, I strongly recommend experimenting with promoted listings.

In my world sales didn't do much to increase sales vs cost of the sale.

Promoted listings, I think maybe have been the longest/most successful thing I've used here in the last 20 years.

Having said this, you'll need to experiment with how much it takes to increase visibility, trial with 1% and see what happens.....

Remember tho, that what works in my realm may not work in your categories....
Message 20 of 45
latest reply