Improved Canadian Shipping Services on eBay. Com

Is this just a new shipping standard available to us or an actual shipping service? The email is light on details and doesn't link to a more detailed explanation....
Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

I'm not sure what you are referring to.  Is this a message that you received from eBay?

Message 2 of 62
latest reply

@ichopshop 

These are just new "names" for service options we can pick when we're listing stuff on .COM

I used to use "standard shipping outside USA" which has an extra day, I'm just going to continue to use that.....

Message 3 of 62
latest reply

Just sounds like a change in terminology, although I haven't checked it out thoroughly...

I also got the message in my eBay messages(even though I haven't listed anything in 6 months and have not signed up for MP that would allow me to list)...guess eBay is still hopeful I will return! LOL!!

Message 4 of 62
latest reply

@ichopshop wrote:
Is this just a new shipping standard available to us or an actual shipping service? The email is light on details and doesn't link to a more detailed explanation....

It's very light on details. Appears it's intended specifically for Canadian sellers who list on dot com but specific services or a carrier were not included. In checking a  current US dot com created listing not seeing anything new or that jumps out as being an improvement.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 62
latest reply

The "Canadian" service standards differentiate us from overseas sellers by telling our US customers that they can expect delivery from us sooner than from Germany or Australia or Pakistan.

The hope is that this will encourage US buyers who always expect their purchases to arrive within hours of payment.

With the exception of Vancouver , Winnipeg, Montreal and Toronto area sellers, this may be optimistic.

It takes my shipments most of a day just to get to the Richmond/Vancouver terminal from Victoria.

It's not a Bad Thing.  But caution should be used if you are not near a terminal with direct shipping to the USA.

Message 6 of 62
latest reply

It is simply 3 new names, if you click on the shipping "services" list on .COM there's simply 3 new services names in the list for us Canadians to pick....I suppose any Canadian wannabes could also pick them too 😉

Message 7 of 62
latest reply

Whoever in their infinite wisdom generated the post may not realize that all of Canada does not have phyiscal access to these newly named services....Ummm....Based on where they live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9CyMJXg6PA

-Lotz

Message 8 of 62
latest reply

Shipping announcement.jpg

Message 9 of 62
latest reply

Thanks for the info. I still don't see an anouncement about it, was this a message that you received?

Message 10 of 62
latest reply

Yes.  As per most stuff that evenually that comes to dot ca the official announcement will most likely be tape delayed. 

-Lotz

Message 11 of 62
latest reply

I received a message from eBay..have not seen any announcement for it.

Message 12 of 62
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Whoever in their infinite wisdom generated the post may not realize that all of Canada does not have phyiscal access to these newly named services....Ummm....Based on where they live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9CyMJXg6PA

-Lotz

Everyone has physical access to Canada Post.  Those are just generic names that give an estimated delivery time from Canada to the US.  They can be used for CP or any other delivery service.

Message 13 of 62
latest reply

According to the announcement it states 1 to 4 business days from Canada(that implies all of Canada) to the USA with EXPEDITED. In the past the only way to achieve that was Xpresspost or Priority. Just by calling it something else will not make a parcel go faster or make it cheaper until shown otherwise.

-Lotz

Message 14 of 62
latest reply

I agree. When I read your post, I understood it to mean something different...my mistake.

I can't imagine ever wanting to use the expedited choice as even xpresspost from my location to California has a CP eta of 5-6 business days.  Toronto to New York is 3-4 business days. 

I do think that it is great that we now do have an option of choosing a 'shipping to Canada' option on .com.  I'm just not sure about the timelines.

Message 15 of 62
latest reply

Hi @pjcdn2005  note that these are shipping FROM Canada..... meant to ease the minds of Americans purchasing stuff from here....I assume your "to" is a typo but just making sure....

Message 16 of 62
latest reply

A seller in Prince George, Cold Lake, Kapuscasing or Cole Harbour would never be able to meet those "estimates". I monitor and compare estimates for the current services using the CP and what eBay shows and they have been out to lunch for ages.

As for that annoucement it was definitely not finished before someone hit send.

-Lotz

Message 17 of 62
latest reply

I stopped using "expedited" a couple of years back. No matter what site I sell on these days, I use the "economy" or "standard" service applications as no other will work in today's global slowdown/longer transit times/backlogs/delivery delays,etc. I also use 3-5 handling time to add that extra day or 2 especially  needed from October -January

Message 18 of 62
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Anything that eliminates the confusion created when offering a "within Canada" shipping method is welcome.  Those shipping time estimates seem more suited for shipping within Canada than shipping to the United States, however.

As for an announcement appearing on the .ca site, I don't think an announcement that affects the use of the .com site would be posted on the .ca site, but weirder things have happened on eBay.

Message 19 of 62
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

I stopped using "expedited" a couple of years back. No matter what site I sell on these days, I use the "economy" or "standard" service applications as no other will work in today's global slowdown/longer transit times/backlogs/delivery delays,etc. I also use 3-5 handling time to add that extra day or 2 especially  needed from October -January

Shipping on eBay has turned into Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams for both sellers and buyers. I guess the alternative could be -  Expected Delivery: Eventually!!

-Lotz

Message 20 of 62
latest reply