Is there any way to go back to using PayPal to manage payments?

I just received an e-mail about eBay managing my payments, and I figured it was required so I went through the whole thing, added my bank account, etc.  Now, all of my payments will be handled directly from eBay to my bank account.

The problem is, I am going to be going from getting my money INSTANTLY (through Paypal's direct-to-bank transfer) to waiting potentially a week or longer to receive my money after being paid?!  This is honestly outrageous.  I value being able to receive my money instantly as I have for years.  I simply cannot believe that eBay considers this an improvement.  It's an improvement for their bottom line I am sure, but definitely not for the seller.  This is extremely disappointing.

If there is a way for me to revert back to using PayPal for receiving funds, PLEASE let me know.

Message 1 of 110
latest reply
109 REPLIES 109

Re: Is there any way to go back to using PayPal to manage payments?

I'm not in MP yet but the way I understand it, once ebay tells you to ship, the transaction has been approved by the buyer's payment source so you will be paid.

That's good to know.

You can still list on .com but your $US payments will be converted to Canadian and you will be charged a 3% conversion rate.  However, they are supposedly looking into a better way to handle international funds.

Thanks.  I hope they do find a better way.

Message 81 of 110
latest reply

I wonder if I opt out of ebay completely and start all over again and never sign up for that stupid MP.  Or are they going to force everybody to use it eventually.

You don't want to lose your history and feedback, and, yes, we will be forced ... sooner rather than later, unfortunately!

Message 82 of 110
latest reply

New accounts/new sellers will all be going into MP system at some point as the MP system is eventually going to encompass all sellers and sellers using a PayPal only account will cease to exist...

That's exactly the way it is on Etsy, no matter whether new seller or longtime seller, if selling on that platform, must sign onto their payment system which is same as what eBay is using (Adyen)

Message 83 of 110
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

New accounts/new sellers will all be going into MP system at some point as the MP system is eventually going to encompass all sellers and sellers using a PayPal only account will cease to exist...

That's exactly the way it is on Etsy, no matter whether new seller or longtime seller, if selling on that platform, must sign onto their payment system which is same as what eBay is using (Adyen)

Wow!  I'm not averse to change ... just think of all the changes we've seen in, say, the last 15 years or so.  We adapted, however, because the changes were not insurmountable ... more of a nuisance.  I view this latest change to be major.  Now my neighbour makes around $75K a year selling sports memorabilia, so as ticked off as he is, he has no choice but to adapt.  eBay is only one of his selling avenues so he doesn't want to leave this platform.

Now, me ... between my two selling accounts, I don't make anywhere near that amount, so I have to consider whether it's worth the headache.  As it stands now, I'm closing this jt-libra account as soon as I can sell off most of my merchandise.  I have Best Offer on many of the items, so hopefully I can sell some and I'll give the others to my friends.  It's a little stressful selling cosmetics and skincare because you have to constantly be aware of the expiry dates and it's hard to compete with U.S. sellers.  If I sell at 30% off regular price, that's the regular price in the U.S. so they discount their regular price.  I kept at it because I like cosmetics and it was fun, but not any more.  I don't mean to offer up a sob story ... lol ... but it's just not worth the hassle anymore.  I'm lucky to even break even the last few months.

However, my movie and music selling account is doing better than it has in years.  That's surprising because movies are available everywhere, especially if you're American.  Google Play, You Tube, Amazon Prime, Netflix, BritBox, etc. etc. etc. But there are people who like to have a hard copy of a movie or a CD. And there are fewer and fewer copies of DVD's or CD's produced these days precisely because these movies and music are so readily available elsewhere.  So, I'll stick with that account and maybe just sell on .ca to reduce headaches with MP.

Message 84 of 110
latest reply

There was a time many years I was an eBay top rated power seller and held that up to 2017 when sales crashed & burned and since sales have never recovered, for the less than $500/yr that I now garner here on eBay, it simply is not worth the hassle of setting up a chequing account for eBay....

I left Etsy back in 2017 when sales dried up there too so I also had no reason to remain on that site &/or to sign up for their Etsy Payment system...

I have since placed all my items on an other smaller, lesser known site that still allows PayPal only accounts, along with Stripe for those who want to use that. Sales are slow on that site but I still get about 2/3 of what is realized here on eBay.

Until such time as I can no longer list on eBay, I shall continue listing here on both eBay .CA & .COM.

Message 85 of 110
latest reply

I just read my ebay message, and it gives me till Feb 23rd to update my account details or my "ability to create new listings will be disabled".  

Well, after 20 years with Ebay, this looks to be the last straw.   Time to say goodbye!

Message 86 of 110
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

I'm not in MP yet but the way I understand it, once ebay tells you to ship, the transaction has been approved by the buyer's payment source so you will be paid.

Could you confirm this?

It is obviously a source of deep concern.

Message 87 of 110
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The processing would have to be on ebays end and nothing to do with the payment being excepted. The transaction wouldnt even get to the point of sold if funds were not available. I've used similar systems. if ebay tells you to ship item then you are covered .
Message 88 of 110
latest reply

and nothing to do with the payment being excepted.

Do you mean "accepted".  Homonyms with completely opposite meanings.

The problem I see is mostly with e-cheques.

If the buyer is paying with a PP balance , the money is immediately available.

If the buyer is paying with a credit card, the credit is almost immediately available, provided the card is active and not overdrawn.

If the buyer is paying from a bank balance, an e-cheque, the processor has to wait until the payment has cleared the banking system , just as a paper cheque would.

Also PP was willing to front the seller the payment, once the initial probation* was over.

MP /eBay does not seem to be capable or willing to do that.

I had a Billpoint account back at the turn of the millennium, but I don't remember if BP or its successor PP had any holds in those early days of ecommerce.

*I have an account that has so few sales that after two years my payments are still being held. This is partly because I do not track those cheap items.

Message 89 of 110
latest reply

I don't see the problem, PayPal will continue to be accepted by all sellers on eBay (with the same few exceptions that have always been in place).

I found it much better if I wanted to purchase something from a US seller and kept some US funds from my sales in my paypal account for that. That's no longer the case with the MP system. It made a difference in purchasing power. Not buying much for a while because of GSP, currency exchange but it was nice to have the option to have the US funds sitting there in case.

Ordered a couple of things for a friend in the last little while and the total amount in ebay that he had to pay ends up being higher by a few dollars when you get to paypal. Can anybody explain that one. Why is the currency higher in paypal a couple of minutes later. Or is paypal now charging the buyer a fee for buyers using their site.

Message 90 of 110
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@paxm89 wrote:

... not giving them access to my bank account.

You could just get a no-monthly-fee bank account for ebay use.

Some Canadian examples:

simplii.com (was PCFinancial, now owned by CIBC)

Tangerine.ca (was ING Direct, now owned by Scotiabank)

Motusbank.ca (owned by Meridian Credit Union)

-..-

In speaking and attempting to set up an account with Tangerine this morning, I was advised that there was a 5 day hold on deposits with new accounts. They couldn't confirm how long this lasts. Could this be what is causing some of the delays between getting paid by a customer and getting paid to your bank account? Really getting tired of this...

Jumping through fire hoop Stock Photos, Royalty Free Jumping through fire  hoop Images | Depositphotos®

-Lotz

Message 91 of 110
latest reply

Message 92 of 110
latest reply

I think I was going to post this that morning but then did run into that thread you mentioned. I must have hit the wrong button along the way.

Message 93 of 110
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@paxm89 wrote:

... not giving them access to my bank account.

You could just get a no-monthly-fee bank account for ebay use.

Some Canadian examples:

simplii.com (was PCFinancial, now owned by CIBC)

Tangerine.ca (was ING Direct, now owned by Scotiabank)

Motusbank.ca (owned by Meridian Credit Union)

-..-

In speaking and attempting to set up an account with Tangerine this morning, I was advised that there was a 5 day hold on deposits with new accounts. They couldn't confirm how long this lasts. Could this be what is causing some of the delays between getting paid by a customer and getting paid to your bank account? Really getting tired of this...

Jumping through fire hoop Stock Photos, Royalty Free Jumping through fire  hoop Images | Depositphotos®

-Lotz

Did you ask them if the 5 day holds apply to ACH transfers? They may have meant that if you deposit via the ATM there is a 5 day hold but not for ACH transfers into your account.

I've have a Simplii account (changed from an old PC Financial account), my ATM deposits still have a hold even though I've had the account for 15 years and always carry a reasonable balance, ACH transfers on the other hand are available immediately.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 94 of 110
latest reply

@recped 

Not entirely sure what an ACH transfer is. This was passed on about a bank transfer from my RBC account to Tangerine or vice versa where it was done as a request from from Tangerine out of my RBC account and after a very long time on hold. Chat and Call Back were unavailable so not an impressive entrance into the world of Tangerine.

-Lotz

Message 95 of 110
latest reply

Try Simplii?

As I've mentioned my MP payouts are same day using them. ACH = Direct Deposit

From the Simplii FAQ

Direct deposits to your Simplii Financial account are usually available immediately. Canadian dollar ATM and mobile deposits will post to your account immediately but funds may be held for your hold period, as outlined in your product letter, or up to 5 business days. Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays are non-business days.

Use my referral code and we both get a bonus (maybe)?

https://mbsy.co/3lw66c

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 96 of 110
latest reply

>> ... in speaking and attempting to set up an account with Tangerine this morning, I was advised that there was a 5 day hold on deposits with new accounts. They couldn't confirm how long this lasts.

I set myself up with a Tangerine US account 6 months ago. There was the initial delay but has been smooth sailing since. I recommend.

Message 97 of 110
latest reply

I think there is a way even if you have agreed to Managed Payments - just don't give them the information they need to get you on it. For instance I don't know if this is still true, but it used to be illegal to ask for SIN #s unless you are the Feds.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 98 of 110
latest reply

Americans are much more lax about their SSN than Canada is about our SIN.

The request from MP for our SIN is an option .

This has been confirmed higher up this thread by tyler@ebay.

It is in fact illegal to demand it, but I've never heard of any institution being charged over the demand.
A request/option would be looked at more benignly.

Message 99 of 110
latest reply

@rosscd57 wrote:

I think there is a way even if you have agreed to Managed Payments - just don't give them the information they need to get you on it. For instance I don't know if this is still true, but it used to be illegal to ask for SIN #s unless you are the Feds.

I haven't signed up so I wasn't aware that they were asking for your SIN#.  So does that mean that every Canadian who signed up did provide their SIN, or did they simply leave that question blank? I find it hard to believe that thousands of Canadians would give up their SIN for this purpose.

Message 100 of 110
latest reply