Is there anyone that would like to help me do an analysis of another seller?

One of my competitors that sells CD's similar to what I have, is selling way more than me and I want to figure out why/how.

The differences.

He has 643 listed, no store, all listed on .ca shipping is 4.00 Canada; 10 to US and 13 to UK .  He has sold 176 since July 4 and has 32 followers

I have 1,447 listed, a store, 1/2 listed on .ca and 1/2 on .com, shipping is 4.25 Canada; 5.75 to US, and 11 to UK (all international shipping the same)  I have sold only 129 from July 5 and I have 61 followers. 

I don't want to post the other sellers ID so I would like to communicate with someone over messages if they might be able to help me.   Anybody want to help me?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Any difference in CD Pricing, Return policies? Perhaps larger orders (combined shipping) or just plain lucky..... 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Another possibility older cds or more difficult to locate. Or a unique  genre. Sooner or later they will have to get hard to find.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

We sell pretty much the same thing for relatively the same prices, although his shipping is almost double mine for the US.  Here is 3 of mine sold and 1 of his sold.  Maybe it is the way he writes his titles?

linda.jpg

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I forgot to add CD selection, popular titles, harder to find CD's.... supply and demand.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Another seller, 598 listed all on .ca, has a store and since July 4 has sold 220, shipping to Canada is $4. $9 to the US and $13 to the UK.  Has 41 followers

I have 1,447 listed, a store, 1/2 listed on .ca and 1/2 on .com, shipping is 4.25 Canada; 5.75 to US, and 11 to UK (all international shipping the same)  I have sold only 129 from July 5 and I have 61 followers. 

I am thinking that maybe I have to rethink my titles.  What do you think?  My prices are around the same give or take.  But to the US where half my buyers are from, they charge $3.25 more and $2 more to the UK or international in shipping. 

Any explanation would be helpful.  

gino.jpg

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

In titles... VG++ doesn't equal 9/10. NM or Near Mint = 9/10 otherwise your titles are fine.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@musicyouneed 

Is it possible that other seller is using Promoted Listings for the added bump in views?

-Lotz

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I think maybe you're cropping your images too tightly, so they almost look like stock images. If I'm buying a used CD; I want to be sure I'm seeing a photo of the exact one I'll be buying. Also the second CD that sold for more than yours is listed as new.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I spend hours taking pictures making sure I have the best one.   I know that it makes a difference for you, does it for everyone?  I do put in my TOS that the pictures are of the original item.   I on the other hand look for pictures that I can use the magnifier.  

Regarding the condition of the CD, his wasn't new but like new, so was mine but I put it as very good ++.   This was my explanation:  

"A near perfect, rarely-played CD.  CD looks clean with no visible scratches, scuffs or other marks. There may be the odd light mark only visible under a bright light.  Artwork excellent."    There are no marks but I put that there may be the odd light mark just in case I have a buyer with magnifying eyes. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I think it might; but obviously I don't know. When I clicked on your listings I realized that they were actually real photos, taken with really good lighting ... so good that the thumbnail in the list looks like a stock photo, which I would have glossed over and never clicked on if I was actually looking for the item.

There's no doubt that you photo of the Gino Vannelli CD is better than the other one you show; but I would have clicked on that one because it looks like the real item.

I'd try taking photos for your new items with a slightly looser crop so you can see a bit of the table and see if it has any effect on click through rate. I don't think there's anything to lose with that approach.

Also, as someone else suggested I'd replace VG++ with NM; though I don't think it really makes much of a difference in click through. Also, both your examples the other sellers are listing different labels than you. Are they different pressings?

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

I spend hours taking pictures making sure I have the best one.   I know that it makes a difference for you, does it for everyone?  I do put in my TOS that the pictures are of the original item.   I on the other hand look for pictures that I can use the magnifier.  

A bit off topic but have you ever considered using your scanner instead of a camera?

Since CD cases are so consistent in shape and size they are tailor made for scanning which should save time versus photographing. Scanners are always in focus and perfectly lit, to really speed the process use the scanner's advanced software version where autocrop can be disabled, then set a consistent repeatable crop outline probably a little larger than a standard CD case. Some sort of guide is needed to aid in placing the case on the scanner platen so that when scanned (previewed usually) the case is either already accurately placed within the crop lines or can be easily dragged into the correct position. Then do final scan, takes only 15 seconds or so per image.

Most scanner lids are designed to accomodate items of CD case thickness and still scan well. Even so I've often scanned items without closind the lid,  one can get inventive here keeping in mind whatever is placed over the item and platen will form a background for the scanned item. Using different materials varies the colours and textures surrounding the scanned item. 

Re; the ebay photo magnifier.

I've experimented with how photo size impacts the magnifier function. Bigger is best here preferrably with a border surrounding the item edges. Larger images mmagnify much better than smaller ones. To me 2048 px works best, a square image would be 2048x2048 or if rectangular the longest edge would be 2048 px. 

Suggested scanner settings (advanced),

• Use advanced settings
  • Disable autocrop!
  • Disable most if not all of the image enhancement features especially if the items being scanned are used, the only enhancement I leave on is "sharpen" as this has the effect of highlighting creases and such in the ephemera items I sell.
  • Adjust the input settings (cropped area) to suit item being scanned, manually adjusting these settings will change the size of the cropped area, for this example let's use 679x679 px.
  • Adjust the output settings (enlarges or shrinks cropped area), for example 2048x2048 px. 
  • In order to greatly reduce the image file size reduce the dpi setting to 72. The default setting will be much higher, since the image is not meant to be printed on paper it is safe to reduce to 72 dpi which is the standard display on computer screens.
  • Be sure to set ouput be saved in jpeg file format
  • Depending on storage limitations if any, it may be desirable to run the files through software to greatly reduce individual file sizes. Ebay and other marketplaces compress large files when uploaded so file compression is only an issue if the images are to be used on a stand-a-lone ecommerce site or blog.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Thanks,

I'll try using a scanner but I have used it in the past for pictures and it took a lot longer than taking photo's, better quality but time consuming.  I'll try a few CD's and keep track of the time it takes for comparison.

For my pictures now, I use natural light, take them out of the jewel case if I can (new wrapped no) take 5 pictures each of front, CD, and back and then choose the best one enlarged, crop and then use for the listing.  

Many buyers are collectors and do want to be able to enlarge the CD so they can see the numbers around the matrix.  Some even don't want any age yellowing of the CD artwork and even go further to question whether there is yellowing. I missed it but the buyer noticed on my listing.  Some are concerned with the artwork that there is no bending or flaws.  My pictures have worked and no one has been disappointed. 

I appreciate all of the feedback.  But really want to know what the other sellers are doing better than me.  Most of their pictures are lousy, charge more for shipping, limited TOS, have negative feedback, don't list the tracks, don't list out what combined shipping is outfront and yet they sell more than I do, almost double.  

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Sadly I've only had time to take a quick look, but you have 3 days handling time.

How many days handling time do those selling better than you have?

I believe handling time has a high impact on visibility, the longer your handling time, the lower your relative visibility.

If they have one (or shorter) handling time and you have 3 that will likely be part of it.....
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi Ric, thanks they both have 2 days, I will amend my to 2 and we will see it that will make a difference.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply