Item on hold in destination country

I just happened to check the tracking status of a 1.5kg tracked packet I sent to Germany 12 days ago, and noticed that it has the tracking status of Item on hold since March 21... What would be the cause of this? Is the buyer not picking up the parcel?? I'm thinking about messaging the buyer to ask, but not sure how I should word my message? The tracked packet label does have the buyer's phone number on it. I'm just worried that if it doesn't get picked up soon it'd get bounced back to me, and I certainly don't want to pay $60 postage to retrieve it... Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Item on hold

Mar-21-17, 07:03 AM

Item has arrived at the delivery office in the destination country

Mar-21-17, 02:43 AM

International item is in transit to the delivery office.

Mar-20-17, 18:16 PM

Item on hold

Mar-20-17, 10:10 AM

International item is in transit to the delivery office.

Mar-20-17, 10:10 AM

Item has arrived in foreign country

Mar-17-17, 17:46 PM

Item has been sent to customs in the destination country

Mar-17-17, 17:46 PM

International shipment has arrived in a foreign country

Mar-16-17, 10:18 AM

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Maureen, I totally agree with you on that aspect (that postal services need to be responsible to do the delivery scan since I paid for it) but I also do not want to trouble my buyer needlessly (that's my bottom line). Trust me, if this is at work, I tend to be one of the people who tells the leadership team my opinion on something even if nothing will come out of it, and one of them always tells me she appreciates me for sharing my thoughts (admittedly I'm also immature at times and caused her trouble).

If I'm on the recipient end and did not get delivered scan (happened before with what I bought from Japan which I curiously checked tracking status afterwards) I don't actually go after Canada or Japan Post about it just because I don't want to spend my time on it and the items did arrive safely.

Since this buyer did say she'll buy from me again and is currently happy with the sale, I think not costing her the extra trouble will be the priority, and really, the price difference between TP and SP air was less than $10 so I think I'll let it go for now. My insomnia is already bad enough from shift work (hence I'm awake and not sleeping right now) and I don't think adding calling CP to my to-do list would do me any good.

For now, since the buyer is happy, I'll call this case closed. Thank you to all who sat through my grumbling and provided sound advices. Much appreciated 😃

View solution in original post

Message 44 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Sometimes I think we do too much to make ourselves worry.

Too many times I've watched package updates to Germany, Russia, China, Latin American and even USA destinations and the blasted updates become very worrisome (even sometimes updates that the item is being returned to sender when in the end it is not).

Specifically to Germany, yes I've seen the same thing a few times. I don't know why it appears to "sit there" for a while, I'm not sure when we see the "translated" version of what's actually happening we're seeing what's actually happening.

For example the "in delivery office" and "out for delivery" updates we see here, may not be translated properly from the German PO so we see "on hold" as the default translation.

Anyway, for certain,  I would not contact the buyer.

Try not to worry about it as much as you can, the odds are very very very high that all will be well.....

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

Like us, German buyers are asked to pay import taxes and they have a relatively low de minimus.

Unlike in Canada where we can simply pay those import fees to whomever it is that brings the parcel to our door, Germans have to go to a special government Customs office which is not always conveniently located and pay their import fees only to see that package then released back to DHL for delivery. It's not like they can even take their package home with them after they might travel 50-km to another town to pay of the fees due. 

Your parcel is probably waiting on its buyer to make the time to do that.

Message 3 of 45
latest reply

That being said, I've never had a German buyer kick back a parcel for non-payment of customs fees. Italians, yes? Brtis? Yes. Never the Germans.

Message 4 of 45
latest reply

Did you check the German pistol dote?  The destination country is sometimes more up to date.

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

What's a 'pistol dote"?

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

Postal site.
Message 7 of 45
latest reply

I've never been able to find any updates for any of my packages on the German postal site.... perhaps I don't know how to do it. It seems to me that they give it a new number when it hits their system and one would need to know that number....and not the CP number any longer....
Message 8 of 45
latest reply

German Post becomes DHL for parcels.
Message 9 of 45
latest reply

Or rather, international parcels go to DHL for delivery from Deutsche Post.
Message 10 of 45
latest reply

Do you know how to relate the CP number to the DHL number?
Message 11 of 45
latest reply

I'm afraid that I don't remember. My knowledge is based from some intense problem-solving with a Tracked Packet that went MIA in the middle of localized flooding in Germany at the time. It was four years ago, I think.
Message 12 of 45
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had 2 packages shipped by XpressPost to Belgium and they were sitting at the customs dept for 3 months.  I contacted the buyers to go or contact the customs dept, both went there and received the packages.  In fact they were just "sitting" not even opened to be inspected or whatever!!  Not making senses at all but that is the way there are.  Right now I have a large package going to Germany, hope it is not "sitting" there.  I send it by XpressPost, if it is late, I will file a claim for a late delivery and get the full refund which is around $85.50.  Canada Post has to pay for it (being penalized) for Germany not moving it at a timely manner,

Message 13 of 45
latest reply

Tried DHL and tracking number not found (not surprising). So I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that my buyer picked up the parcel soon... it certainly does sound like a pain to have to go pay import fee and THEN wait for delivery, but if that's the way it is over there I suppose they're used to it. 

Message 14 of 45
latest reply

If I remember correctly (it's been years) the tracking number that shows 'not valid' just needs to be clicked a second time or something strange.
Message 15 of 45
latest reply

Like on the Deutsche Post page that shows the tracking number cannot be found, you need to double-click it, or right click it, and then the information appears. Whatever it was, it didn't make much sense. But I know I found tracking for mine on the German side.
Message 16 of 45
latest reply

What is the tracking number?

Message 17 of 45
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
German Post becomes DHL for parcels.

No surprise, since they are divisions of the same company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Post

http://www.dpdhl.com/en.html

another tracking site:

https://www.aftership.com/en/courier/dhl-germany

-..-

Message 18 of 45
latest reply

Today when I tried to check tracking info again, there is more info added (although it's still on hold since March 21) like the postal code on their end.

Item on hold

Mar-21-17, 07:03 AM, FZ99 ZB37,Germany

Item has arrived at the delivery office in the destination country

Mar-21-17, 02:43 AM, ZB7 92,Germany

I tried the link from dennis above and here is what I got. Hopefully the buyer figures it out with customs and get it soon...

20170327-0007.jpg

Message 19 of 45
latest reply

This confirms what I said.
Message 20 of 45
latest reply