Just got scammed by a buyer, eBay denied appeal

It's been a while since I had a good one... 

I'll try to keep it brief: 
International Buyer ordered 2 separate but similar products from me one day after the other (automotive paint).

He received item 1 and said it was SNAD, asked for 50% money back and to keep it (?) (Red flag #1)
I explained where the confusion may lay (brand vs application, he though it was and OEM part but clearly says a different brand name to FIT brand X) 
I said please just send it back and refuse package 2 at delivery.

Instead he opened SNAD for item 1, and I uploaded a label.

Next day he openeed SNAD for item 2 instead of simply refusing it, so I'm out cost of 2 labels at this point. (red flag #2)

Then he messages me with a 'screenshot' of a USPS tracking number saying there is an issue, and sends me a phishing link thru messages disguised as USPS link. (I do not click but hover and Whois it). (all the red flags)
Tracking number does not exist, but the now 2 returns show in the proper system.

Buyer opens payment dispute with bank while packages are in transit, says "did not receive refund" so eBay closes the returns, and my recourse directly with buyer for what happens next. 
Packages show up, all items have been used and there is approx 50% of product missing from all of the cans.
I upload the photos to the case, and call eBay merchant support, very helpful but nothing can be done until bank decides outcome. 
Bank decides in customer favour obviously. 
I call eBay MS who tries to help but system says 'no evidence can be provided that would change the outcome of the case' and won't let her appeal the decision.

she did push thru a credit for FVF and Chargeback fees 

But I'm out the cost of the product, the cost of original shipping, the cost of return shipping, around $200.  
The buyer is still active, though he has changed his userID. 

So much wasted time on this guy. 😡

I guess I should have just given in to his 50% offer, let the scammer keep some free paint - but at that point it was worth more to pay return shipping and re-sell the product had it been returned new.  It wasn't clear I was getting scammed until the packages were in the system on the way back here. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Just got scammed by a buyer, eBay denied appeal

I've tried to train myself to ignore the emotions/frustrations around these sometimes criminal behaviours to think of these the same as an INR.

My main goal is to minimize the time it takes me to resolve and outside my time the overall cost. The cost takes into account the fact that whatever comes back, if it is saleable, has to be reviewed, repictured etc. I sell a lot of "lots" of material and generally it isn't possible to know if everything came back. Virtually always I try to resolve via partial refunds and block the buyer subsequently unless I know the problem was caused by me.

As frustrating as they are, in my (somewhat safer it seems) stamp world, the actual losses are very infrequent, less than INR losses which are traditionally less than 1/2 of a %.

When these happen though they are so very very frustrating and discouraging.

I do have a number of folks in the bricks and mortar world and WOW we think we have problems here, they are having extreme problems anymore, I think we are very lucky compared to what's happening in the B&M world these days!

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

I do have a number of folks in the bricks and mortar world and WOW we think we have problems here, they are having extreme problems anymore, I think we are very lucky compared to what's happening in the B&M world these days!

This is a really important point. I was at Walmart yesterday and saw someone walk right past me (while we were in a line) and out the door with a cart full of stuff. It's possible they paid in another department, but by the way they were acting and the fact they waited until the associate at the door couldn't see them, I seriously doubt it.

When I started selling, I was actually expecting far more problems than I've had so far (knock on wood). These type of situations really are infuriating though.

@motomike_canada If it was sent through USPS, I would recommend trying to file a mail fraud report with them. It probably won't get you any money back, but it might help get them nailed some day in the future.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@flipistics wrote: If it was sent through USPS, I would recommend trying to file a mail fraud report with them. It probably won't get you any money back, but it might help get them nailed some day in the future.

UPS but yes I filed a report. Good point for others though. 

We also operate a brick and mortar, but I would say the issues we've had so far are essentially zero.  It's much easier to shut down a problematic transaction when the person is standing in front of one of us. 🙂 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply