Letter Mail Canada

Not sure how everyone elses experiences have been lately sending or receiving letter mail in Canada but here are 2 of my recent experiences.

Small bubble envelop from Wpg to Calgary...Mailed on a Thursday..Del'd 2 Mondays later. (10 business days)

Oversized letter from Vanc to Calgary...Mailed on a Monday. Del'd 2nd Thursday later. (8 business days)

Hope this isn't the new normal as far as it goes for letter mail. As of late Small pkt air to USA and Internationally has been faster. One experience with a letter to USA was approx 7 business days.

-Lotz

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Letter Mail Canada

@ricarmic wrote:

@flipistics Just a note, whilst registered has tracking, last I understood eBay (and PAYPAL) don't recognize it formally as counting as tracking. I suspect that if one provided it with the tracking showing delivery in a claim situation it probably would be accepted, (internationally many countries it stops tracking after it leaves Canada). Things may also have changed but that is how I understand it to be and I'm too lazy to go look up the official wording, which sometimes isn't current anyway!

We really need to get a proper "official" statement on that. I THINK registered mail counts if sent intra-Canada, but registered mail in the States might work differently (I think the USA equivalent is Certified Mail with their Registered Mail being a different product) and probably causes the confusion.

tyler@ebay  could we get an official statement on whether eBay considered Canada Post's Registered Mail (sent within Canada) to count as tracking?

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

Tyler has moved on to another job a few months ago, our new Tyler is

devon@ebay 

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

devon@ebay 

Yep, that's my bad. Force of habit.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

@flipistics That question has been asked and answered a few times in the past. Tyler had confirmed that registered mail counts as tracking within Canada. Any service that shows online tracking is fine. Ebay doesn't distingush between different methods, it just has be viewable online and probably viewable on ebay.

There is no longer a registered mail from Canada to the US, CP suggests you send it Xpresspost. To other countries, there often is no online delivery scan for registered mail.   But if that country happens to scan the registered letter as delivered and it shows online, then it would be acceptable to ebay.  I don't know if that ever happens or how often it does, but I probably wouldn't take the chance with an expensive item.

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

I ask the counter clerks to cancel the stamps and they are nice enough to do it. Using a lot of pretty stamps is possibly helpful there.

The stamps are likely being cancelled by the carrier just before he drops them off. The uncancelled stamps are called "skips" and the carrier is required to make them unreuseable. ( Is "unreusable" even a word?)

There are constant moans about this in Canadian Stamp News. I think the editor keeps a few on file for months when he has to fill space.

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

Also, send the buyer a shipping confirmation message

I put the date of shipment in my feedback.

FWIW- to remind the customer that their purchase is coming from here I also use proper dating (25/12/22 not 12/25/22) and mention Canada Post as the carrier.

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

Yea, before he left Tyler confirmed that domestic Registered Lettermail tracking was perfectly fine for eBay because the tracking information for a Registered Lettermail item is identical to that for a parcel.

There is no "Registered" option to the States - Canada Post considers Xpresspost USA as a registered-equivalent since it includes tracking and a signature.

Registered Letter service to other international destinations should never be used. Most countries won't even provide delivery confirmation for Registered services (this is why you can purchase an AR card if you require proof of delivery for international registered letters). And technically nothing sold on eBay can be sent via Registered Letter internationally because it would contain 'goods' and therefore require a digital customs declaration.

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

devon@ebay 

Hi @ricarmic! Thank you for the tag on this. @flipistics I have reached out to the Shipping Team to get a resposne that I can share with everyone here. Once they share with me I will be sure to share the update. 

Message 28 of 28
latest reply