MANAGED PAYMENTS IS COMING TO CANADA SOONER THEN YOU THINK!!

Just got this email this afternoon and it looks like eBay will be implementing the registration stage into Managed Payments in the coming weeks...

It's a good thing I changed my store subscription from yearly to monthly as of April 1st/2020 as I will have to prepare my exit strategy a little earlier then expected.

Here's the email...

eBay

Yesterday, eBay announced that later this year we will begin managing payments in Canada. We’ve been working behind the scenes to deliver this enhanced way to sell and get paid, and wanted to ensure Canadian sellers have the latest information. We recognize that the global pandemic is bringing unprecedented demands on your business and our goal is to simplify your experience with us. In the coming weeks, we will start to enable registration for some sellers whose features and tool usage is compatible with managed payments. You may receive a notice inviting you to register for eBay managed payments.

• If you receive a notification, we encourage you to register. Registration can be completed in a few simple steps. However, nothing will change in how you manage your business until your account is activated, and we will notify you in advance.
  • If you don’t receive a notification straight away, there is no action required at this time. We’re enabling sellers whose businesses match best with the features that are currently available. As we continue to expand our features, we’ll keep you informed and notify you to register when we can support the needs of your business.

Managed payments will enable a more streamlined experience for both sellers and buyers. Sellers will have one place to sell and get paid, with payouts directly deposited into your bank account. You will also have a single source for fees, customised reports, refunds, simplified protections, and expert payments support. Buyers will have more ways to pay with credit and debit cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay, PayPal and PayBright. Over the next year, eBay will progressively enable managed payments for all Canadian sellers, and our team will be on hand to assist with a smooth transition. Keep an eye on your email or My eBay Messages for more details as they become available in the next few weeks. As always, thank you for selling on

eBay.

Rob Bigler
General Manager, eBay Canada  

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Read the email more carefully.

Managed payments is being rolled out by invitation on ebay.CA later this year.

It will be at least 2021 before it is required.

Message 2 of 68
latest reply

"If you receive a notification, we encourage you to register. Registration can be completed in a few simple steps. However, nothing will change in how you manage your business until your account is activated, and we will notify you in advance".

I did read it carefully.... I've also read everything regarding Managed Payments on the eBay.COM boards.

"If you receive a notification, we encourage you to register..." means you will have 3-4 months from the date of the registration notice to register with Managed Payments or eBay will force you to register or restrict your selling privileges.

You will receive an email from eBay that says please register by x date unless their testing the waters first....

Time will tell. 

Message 3 of 68
latest reply

I also received the message from eBay exactly the same as noted by the OP. Hope it's months not weeks!
Message 4 of 68
latest reply

The email arrived here as well ... I imagine most sellers got one. I'm really going to miss Paypal ... sigh....

Message 5 of 68
latest reply

Got the first email, same as is being discussed here...

expecting the next email to come in due time with a date that requires me to sign up or else...

Although I may miss eBay, as my exit may come sooner than expected or anticipated, I will continue enjoying the ability to use PayPal as payment from buyers and retain the ease and uncomplicated use of those PayPal funds for shipping labels as I continue listing & selling. That selling venue just won't be eBay...

Message 6 of 68
latest reply

A trip down memory lane. July 2018 Beta test Managed Payments discussion.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Archive-1/More-reasons-to-avoid-the-payments-beta-test/td-p/406497

It appears optimism/opinions regarding this impending program have not changed much in 2 years.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 68
latest reply

I don't see any point in posting a link from a thread of a beta program that is not the same as the program exists today.  It is just going to confuse some people and promote more negativity. 

Of course opinions on this board haven't changed because people here haven't used it and most don't know much about it. I'm not anxious to change from PP either but I don't think that it is going to be as bad as some people suggest.   I have read some positive comments from .com sellers that have been using it for a while.

Message 8 of 68
latest reply

Sorry, most opinions and the apprehension is still the same, 2 years later. Like many others have stated Canada and the USA are 2 different situations. 

-Lotz

Message 9 of 68
latest reply

I'm sure that most who read that thread without accurate up to date info would have a negative opinion, especially if they don't know how the program has been updated.  The program is totally different so directing people to the thread gives them outdated info.

Of course there are some who have updated info who are still negative and that's fine but at least they have current info and aren't being directed to a zombie thread.

You have you opinion, I have mine.  That's all I have to say.

Message 10 of 68
latest reply

From what I have read (and I've read almost every post from eBay.COM boards) there is more negative then positive reactions....

Managed Payments doesn't make sense from a seller's perspective when we already have a flawless, trustworthy and streamline payment system with PayPal. With PayPal you receive immediate payment and a comprehensive accounting system for a sellers business.   

Managed Payments will be a lot more work, delays in receiving payments from 3-10 days with no payments on weekends and holidays. No accounting system to really track your purchases. The extra monthly costs of setting up a new Bank account and paying for a third party accounting system. 

Since I have my own website that is connected to PayPal means that I will need to have two separate accounting systems to manage my monthly and yearly sales totals.

It is going to be a huge headache and a lot of extra work for very little gain. Managed Payments is for eBays benefit not the sellers.....

Message 11 of 68
latest reply

As a side note, it is much rarer for happy people to post stuff on the boards than negative.

That is one of the downsides of the boards, one can learn a LOT here, but one has to keep in mind it tends to represent the problems in the environment, not the pluses, generally.

It is hard not to get caught up in the negative aspects.
Message 12 of 68
latest reply

yes, I too have been reading the .COM boards from the onset, but I also know there are both pros and cons to the MP system.

I have my own reasons for not wanting to participate in MP and I have based my decision on that, plus the fact I strongly believe sellers should have the choice. However, like Etsy that forced all sellers out of PayPal only system and into the Adyen system, eBay also does not give the seller the choice of remaining PayPal only or going with MP.

I simply don't want the hassle as I don't get that many sales anymore from eBay(haven't for the past 3 years) and since my other site is picking up steam, I am hoping that continues and I'll no longer need this mirco-managing eBay site.

Message 13 of 68
latest reply

I agree that there is a lot of venting going on, on eBay.COM but there also a lot of truth if you can separate the heated and irrational from the calm and collected.   

Message 14 of 68
latest reply

That is so true! I see complainers like I see reviews on Yelp....folks with nothing better to do that complain. Ebay is a platform that has allowed me to sell for 20+ years across the Globe - and I understand its needs to evolve. Moving to managed payments will allow for 2 big benefits - 1) folks who don't use Paypal can buy from me now and 2) I can have one place for all my sales and shipping (not 2). Do I have questions...yes, as a seller who uses .com and only wants US $$ - I hope that they will be able to deposit into my US account vs. Canadian - but I will deal with whatever comes up and keep posting and selling on a great platform!
Message 15 of 68
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

From what I have read (and I've read almost every post from eBay.COM boards) there is more negative then positive reactions....

Managed Payments doesn't make sense from a seller's perspective when we already have a flawless, trustworthy and streamline payment system with PayPal. With PayPal you receive immediate payment and a comprehensive accounting system for a sellers business.   

Managed Payments will be a lot more work, delays in receiving payments from 3-10 days with no payments on weekends and holidays. No accounting system to really track your purchases. The extra monthly costs of setting up a new Bank account and paying for a third party accounting system. 

Since I have my own website that is connected to PayPal means that I will need to have two separate accounting systems to manage my monthly and yearly sales totals.

It is going to be a huge headache and a lot of extra work for very little gain. Managed Payments is for eBays benefit not the sellers.....

The screaming about Managed Payments sounds EXACTLY like the screaming that went on in 2007 when PayPal was forced on sellers (Acceptable Payments Policy).

I heard all the same things......

- Can't trust PayPal

- Much too complicated

- Buyers won't like it

- It's not fair

- If I'm forced to accept PayPal I'm leaving eBay

- Cheques and Money Order are so much better

- eBay are just doing it to make extra profits

It's like we are in a time warp or a Groundhog Day.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 16 of 68
latest reply

@2dogsdigs wrote:
That is so true! I see complainers like I see reviews on Yelp....folks with nothing better to do that complain. Ebay is a platform that has allowed me to sell for 20+ years across the Globe - and I understand its needs to evolve. Moving to managed payments will allow for 2 big benefits - 1) folks who don't use Paypal can buy from me now and 2) I can have one place for all my sales and shipping (not 2). Do I have questions...yes, as a seller who uses .com and only wants US $$ - I hope that they will be able to deposit into my US account vs. Canadian - but I will deal with whatever comes up and keep posting and selling on a great platform!

Anyone who's sold collectibles before the internet appreciates how fast, inexpensive and far reaching the online world is!

Message 17 of 68
latest reply

I don’t often read the payment board on .com but on the selling and shipping boards most of the negative posts about MP are from sellers who haven’t used it yet. They don’t like the idea of it but they don’t actually have experience with it and really... that’s to be expected as people generally don’t like change.  

If given the choice I would definitely stay with PayPal as it works well with the way I do things and there is no reason that I would want to switch.  And despite Tyler’s assurances, I think that the change may be more of an issue for us than for US sellers but we will have to wait and see. 

Message 18 of 68
latest reply

Moving to managed payments will allow for 2 big benefits - 1) folks who don't use Paypal can buy from me now

Guest buyers have been able to buy without PP for over a year now.

But PP is processing the transactions.

What is unclear about this is how Failed Transactions are dealt with now for guest buyers-- since they are also unlikely to find the Boards to ask advice.

and 2) I can have one place for all my sales and shipping (not 2).

I think at the moment PP is one of the streams that feeds Managed Payments.

Though how that is supposed to work I have no clue.

Right now, a buyer with a Failed Transaction has three levels of protection- eBay's Money Back Guarantee, Paypal's Buyer Protection, and the chargeback policy of their credit card if they back their PP account with it.

I suspect MP is less protective of buyers, although since cards tend to be more draconian in their chargebacks, this many not benefit sellers.

We really are flailing blindly here between the usual hotheads on dotCOM and corporate shills. (Not you tyler@ebay  We more or less trust you. Most of the time.)

Message 19 of 68
latest reply

Thanks for the vote of confidence @femmefan1946 - it means a lot and makes the three-ringed-circus that the past two weeks have been a little better. 🙂

I'm working on getting everyone's questions escalated to the right teams to make sure they are considered and prepared for as more information is made available about what the Canadian program will look like.

Thanks for being patient with me on this in advance, as I'm going to have a bunch of 'I don't know yet' replies on this topic! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 20 of 68
latest reply