MANAGED PAYMENTS IS COMING TO CANADA SOONER THEN YOU THINK!!

Just got this email this afternoon and it looks like eBay will be implementing the registration stage into Managed Payments in the coming weeks...

It's a good thing I changed my store subscription from yearly to monthly as of April 1st/2020 as I will have to prepare my exit strategy a little earlier then expected.

Here's the email...

eBay

Yesterday, eBay announced that later this year we will begin managing payments in Canada. We’ve been working behind the scenes to deliver this enhanced way to sell and get paid, and wanted to ensure Canadian sellers have the latest information. We recognize that the global pandemic is bringing unprecedented demands on your business and our goal is to simplify your experience with us. In the coming weeks, we will start to enable registration for some sellers whose features and tool usage is compatible with managed payments. You may receive a notice inviting you to register for eBay managed payments.

• If you receive a notification, we encourage you to register. Registration can be completed in a few simple steps. However, nothing will change in how you manage your business until your account is activated, and we will notify you in advance.
  • If you don’t receive a notification straight away, there is no action required at this time. We’re enabling sellers whose businesses match best with the features that are currently available. As we continue to expand our features, we’ll keep you informed and notify you to register when we can support the needs of your business.

Managed payments will enable a more streamlined experience for both sellers and buyers. Sellers will have one place to sell and get paid, with payouts directly deposited into your bank account. You will also have a single source for fees, customised reports, refunds, simplified protections, and expert payments support. Buyers will have more ways to pay with credit and debit cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay, PayPal and PayBright. Over the next year, eBay will progressively enable managed payments for all Canadian sellers, and our team will be on hand to assist with a smooth transition. Keep an eye on your email or My eBay Messages for more details as they become available in the next few weeks. As always, thank you for selling on

eBay.

Rob Bigler
General Manager, eBay Canada  

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Thoughts on the switch to Managed Payments:

The idea of having to yank all buyers at once into a system that has actual NDAs put in place to stifle any discussion of its development, usage, problems, etc, is not attractive, to say the least.

How is it possible that when developing the entire Managed Payments platform, eBay couldn't have taken a step back and considered things a bit from where things have evolved from and to?

PayPal is a separate entity that uses it's own technology and platforms, with a complete focus on payment processing.  They have developed processes and technology to deal with a very specific part of eCommerce that eBay in the last long while has not had any dealings with.  

eBay has a track record of being buyer centric since they have decided to step into the roll of being the core of the buyer experience.  Early on eBay was a facilitator, bringing sellers and buyers together.  

Now eBay represents itself as the platform selling the product, with the actual seller just being warehouses of eBay goods.  eBay controls the experience, not the sellers, and this puts all sellers at a disadvantage.

This approach, when taken into the context of payment processing takes away the objective, third party point of view that is offered to sellers through PayPal.

PayPal is seller centric - the seller is their customer.  They offer a balance of seller AND buyer protection that is based on a set of rules that weigh both sides of a situation.  They also treat sellers with a good track record well, even so far as to give them the benefit of the doubt with programs like 'Funds Now'.

In all cases with chargebacks for PayPal transactions, as long as the criteria for the completion of the transaction are met (tracking uploaded on time,  etc), PayPal has covered the amount - even when the credit card company ruled in favor of the buyer. PayPal protects sellers when its right for them to do so.

From the information so far given for Managed Payments, this is not occurring.  Given the stance eBay has taken in the past with buyer/seller conflicts, I do not ever see them actually handing our money back even when they have to pay it to the credit card companies.

Articles regarding chargebacks that have been seen on eCommerce Bytes are most troubling - from what has been discussed chargeback are found in favor of the buyer with the seller losing their funds.  As well hefty fees are being charged on top of loss of revenue.  It seems to me that Managed Payments has no influence on the transaction flow - we'll all be at the mercy of the credit card companies in these matters.

Message 21 of 68
latest reply

The Canadian user agreement does not (yet) have a section for Managed Payments.

The user agreement for American registered sellers includes a section on Managed Payments.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/user-agreement?id=4259#14

It seems ebay will have several money handling entities for various parts of the world instead of one world wide octopus. On ebay.com, the payments entity is eBay Commerce Inc. ("eCI"). 

-..-

Message 22 of 68
latest reply

I just received the official invite today... I guess I'll be leaving in July.

Did anyone else get the official invite this week? 

silverpinups, register now for managed payments

Managed payments supports an enhanced buying and selling experience on eBay, providing sellers one place to sell and get paid, and buyers more ways to pay. Your account, silverpinups will be activated for managed payments starting late July. To ensure you are ready in advance of the change, and that there are no interruptions to your business, you will need to register by July 15th, 2020.

Please click here to register for managed payments today.

What does it mean to “register” my business?
You can register in a few simple steps, including verifying your business information and providing a bank account. This information will allow us to send your payouts and comply with Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Know-YourCustomer (KYC) obligations, which helps keep eBay a trusted marketplace. You will be able to track your registration progress on the Payments tab in Seller Hub.

What happens after I register?
Once you register, we will activate your account on managed payments starting in late July, but nothing will change in how you manage your business on eBay until then. We will ensure you have access to all of the detailed information you may need to be prepared before activation and you will be notified of your activation date well in advance. To learn more and start registration, please click here.

Managed payments supports an enhanced buying and selling experience on eBay, with:

• More ways for buyers to pay: Buyers can pay with credit and debit cards, PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay or PayBright.
  • One place to sell and get paid: You can access everything you need to sell and get paid, all on eBay: a single source for fees, customized reports, refunds, simplified protections, tax documentation, and dedicated support. If you use third-party tools, there should be no change in how you use those tools on managed payments.
  • Streamlined operations: Payouts are regularly deposited to your bank account weekly or as soon as funds are available, based on your preference. Regardless of how the buyer pays, payouts are consistently available within two business days of an order confirmation.
  • Simplified fees: Once enabled for managed payments starting late July you will pay only one final value fee, consisting of a category-based percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus a fixed fee per order, with no third-party payments processing fees. Your final value fee will be automatically deducted from your sales proceeds, and the rest paid out to your bank account. Most sellers can expect to see overall savings*. For full fee details, click here.

Please click here to register for managed payments today.

We are notifying you because the eBay features and tools you use currently are fully supported in the managed payments experience - the new way business is done on eBay. By registering now, you will ensure that your business does not experience any disruptions when we enable accounts for managed payments starting late July 2020.

For more information and frequently asked questions and answers on managed payments, please visit the eBay Seller Centre. We’ll keep adding information, so remember to bookmark this page. You can find details about the registration process in the Help Hub here. And if you still have questions, you can request a call from one of our Payments team members there.

Message 23 of 68
latest reply

Perhaps someone can enlighten me, as to why the delay in receiving our funds.  With Paypal it is almost instantly there,in my account which i can either spend or transfer to my account..  with Adyen taking over for Paypal, why do i have to wait for 2-5 days for my funds, before i can do anything with them,, With Paypal, they can put funds on hold, if there is a charge back, where Adyen will have to go into my account to retrieve funds, that is not the way it should work. I understand ebay wanting to make more money of the backs of it's seller's, but why couldn't we have just kept Paypal, who everyone on the planet recognizes..Now we have to put our entire faith in Ebay, and Adyen who i have never heard of.. It's making me rethink me whole existence here on ebay..

Message 24 of 68
latest reply

just checked with adyen's, site, they charge a 12 cent processing  fee, so why is ebay going to charge us 30 cents. ???   i don't even make margins like this..

Message 25 of 68
latest reply

I received this email in my email account...

...at the very bottom, it said to "Unsubscribe" here to no longer receive emails.

I did that, as for this managed payments thing, I also just signed up for a Shopify Store...

I will decide what works for me, not FeeBay! 

Message 26 of 68
latest reply

It was good while it lasted.... I've enjoyed my time selling on eBay for the most part but this Managed Payment change is the final straw for me. I have my own website that's set-up with PayPal so I'm not interested in managing multiple accounts and a third party accounting system.

I will also not wait 3-8 days to get paid which is dependant on what payment source the buyer used. There is also no payments deposited into your bank account on weekends or holidays. 

PayPal is instant and I can receive and access payments 24/7 and that's the way I like it.    

Message 27 of 68
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

• Simplified fees: Once enabled for managed payments starting late July you will pay only one final value fee, consisting of a category-based percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus a fixed fee per order, with no third-party payments processing fees. Your final value fee will be automatically deducted from your sales proceeds, and the rest paid out to your bank account. Most sellers can expect to see overall savings*. For full fee details, click here.

That click here link goes to https://www.ebay.ca/sh/fin/dlp

Which has a bad Learn more link to

hhttps://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/fees-payments/managed-payments-on-ebay.html

instead of to

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/fees-payments/managed-payments-on-ebay.html

Needs fixing -  tyler@ebay 

Message 28 of 68
latest reply

@esclyons wrote:

just checked with adyen's, site, they charge a 12 cent processing  fee, so why is ebay going to charge us 30 cents. ???   i don't even make margins like this..

Because PayPal does....

Message 29 of 68
latest reply

but the whole point was to save us some money,, now we are being told most seller's will save some money... key word "most"  so some will pay more..  especially if i have to pay final value fees, on usa taxes,, instead of just the processing fee..

If ebay is bent on sticking this new managed payment system on us, their should have been a bigger carrot dangling in front of us.. Not the same carrot.. With less ability to use our funds as before..

My PayPal[al account can no longer be used to buy anything, nor can it be used to pay my ebay bills..  

Message 30 of 68
latest reply

but why couldn't we have just kept Paypal, who everyone on the planet recognizes..

Blame Carl Icahn, Wall Street wolf.

He forced eBay to spin off Paypal and made his money. That's all he cared about.

https://www.paymentssource.com/news/carl-icahn-who-pushed-paypals-independence-from-ebay-dumps-his-s...

and now he's putting his money into that well known scam MLM Herbalife.

but the whole point was to save us some money

Oh, honey... nooooo... sorry to sound sarcastic but this is a stock market thing nothing to do with how well a company operates or even if the company goes bankrupt, as long as the hedge funds get their money.

Your point about using PP to pay your eBay bills is very well taken. A payment system that is trusted and allows us to keep all our payments from multiple sources in one place...
Does Shopify accept Paypal? They are a Canadian company, too.

Message 31 of 68
latest reply

Does Shopify accept Paypal?

Shopify is a website building platform or frame work not a actual website as I understand it. The owner of the website can use any online payment processor.  

The website company that designed my website asked me if I wanted to use Shopify for my website platform/design but chose to have the website company design it themselves because you have to pay Shopify a monthly fee for using their platform. It was cheaper building the website with Shopify but in the long-term it would have been more costly using Shopify because of the monthly fees...

Message 32 of 68
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@silverpinups wrote:

That click here link goes to https://www.ebay.ca/sh/fin/dlp

Which has a bad Learn more link to

hhttps://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/fees-payments/managed-payments-on-ebay.html

instead of to

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/fees-payments/managed-payments-on-ebay.html

Needs fixing -  tyler@ebay 

Thanks for the tag @ypdc_dennis - I'll get it flagged for review. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 33 of 68
latest reply

Me too! as  Seller, I cant even get paid!! ebay says they have sent payment to my bank, and my bank says no payment received!!! 

Message 34 of 68
latest reply

How many days have passed since your customer paid you?

MP was promising 3-4 days delay before the payment hit our accounts.

We might in a generous mood, consider that Ayden is an overseas company (Netherlands) and bank clearance to European entities may take a while.

But PP was a US company and they were able to make our payments available immediately, once we were a known and trusted seller. Moving money from PP to our banks, even our US banks also took 3-4 days.

I'm still annoyed that I cannot move money when I want to, but have to choose between weekly( ? )or monthly(?) transfers.
And who gets the interest on those Held funds?

Message 35 of 68
latest reply

Lots of sellers are buyers too. They sell stuff and use the proceeds to purchase other stuff, especially in the collectibles areas. For sure once that money is paid out to bank accounts rather than sitting in paypal some of it it will go on every day needs and not be spent here.

Message 36 of 68
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

... but have to choose between weekly( ? )or monthly(?) transfers.
And who gets the interest on those Held funds?

Daily or weekly are said to be the choices.

Interest is meaningless -- no different from PayPal which does not pay interest, or amazon which does not pay interest, or ...

-..-

Message 37 of 68
latest reply

I don't recall having any options on when I get paid. I did just get transfers to my bank on the 14th, 17th, 18th, and seemingly another one today so it seems to be daily.

Message 38 of 68
latest reply

can we still get paid in usd?

Message 39 of 68
latest reply

" 1) folks who don't use Paypal can buy from me now"

.Do you know if PayPal will still be an option for buyers, after MP is implemented, to use as a payment source?

.How will this impact sellers total fees?

I appreciate your positive attitude...as a seller, I agree that Ebay is a great way to reach customers worldwide!

Message 40 of 68
latest reply