Manage Payments for Canadian sellers registered on .com

I currently have an account that is registered on .com eventhough i am a canadian seller. Since switching to managed payments, ebay is not able to verifiy my business documents because they are not USA documents, they are Canadian.  I've spoken to multiple reps, all of which have told me i will have to close my USA account and reopen a new store on .ca....losing all of my listings, feedback etc.... 

Has anyone successfully navigated this issue without having to strat from scratch?? 

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Manage Payments for Canadian sellers registered on .com

I also had a grandfathered us registed ebay account as a Canadian seller. (I started before there was a .CA)

I called in and got mine converted to a Canadian registered account so that I could join Managed Payments. I did not have to do anything to any of my 4,000 listings. Note that I did this BEFORE I tried to join managed payments.

I was able to join MP after the conversion without issue.

I believe for some reason that they ceased converting folks registrations but that was a while ago.

I am not sure what happens if one tries to joing MP before a conversion is completed, it is possible one can't get the registration fixed after trying.

Our resident ebay rep, tyler@ebay might know if it is possible after one has tried to switch...

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

I don't have experience with this but I was under the impression that it wasn't necessary to change your registration although I know that ebayers have been told different things by customer service...not all of it correct.  I know that it is definitely not necessary to close your account and start fresh.   Have you just tried doing one listing on .ca which in turn should prompt you to set up Managed Payments on .ca?   It can't hurt to try.

As far as I know, MP is based on where you are located, not which site you are registered on. I could wrong but that's why I think that you should be able to set it up on .ca regardless of which site your ID is registered on.

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

I think you are correct pjc that tyler said that there wasn't any need any longer to have to change the registration site and that the "process" should be going by the address of the account, not the site registration.

However there have been so many versions of what is/n't supposed to happen I'm not really sure what or if there is a right answer anymore, except that certainly the quite varied advice of the support folks can be dangerous. I'll also confess that I haven't been following it much anymore since I've survived it....

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

Unfortunately any time I contact them for assistance they are telling me the same thing, that I have to close my account.  They are accepting none of the supporting documents for my businses, I assume because they are all Canadian documents and the system can't verify them.

How do I get in touch with Tyler?

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

Are you trying to sign up for managed payments on .com?  You need to sign up on .ca regardless of where you are registered on or where you are listing.  Unless something has changed they will give you the option of payouts in $C or $US.   Your bank account can be in the corresponding currency but has to be a Canadian based account.

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

Thanks for the tag @ricarmic! This one is a puzzler, because registration site changes are no longer necessary. 

As long as you're going through the registration flow @nosejewels, it should recognize that you are located in Canada and send you there (unless you had a US registration address).  If you did list your registration address as within the US, you would be sent through the US flow. You should be able to change your registration address to match your Canadian address, which should move you over to the Canadian flow.

Are you being asked for specific US/.com documents? Do they give you any additional detail of what they're looking for? 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 36
latest reply

ebaysccreenshot.jpg

HI Tyler   tyler@ebay , years ago we were registered on the Canadian site... then a rep recommended we switch to USA because we ship out of the USA ( we live on the border so courier our packages across and ship direct with USPS.) so they converted our account maybe 6 or 7 years ago i think..

They now need to verify our business documents.. I've sent in articles of incorporation, tax documents, business license...but none are being approved and I'm being told it's because the registration number we are using is not a valid registration # in the united states... (becuase it's a canadian number)

When I look up our account in ebay, it shows our business address as a USA address, and our principal place of business address as the canadian address...it also says Country of registration, Canada.

However, when I click on "edit" to edit the address... it does not allow me to change the country to Canada, the USA is greyed out. (see attached screenshot) 

The reps over the phone are unable to change it either...so i have been told by probably 4 reps now that the only option i have is to cancel my account, lose all of my history, feedbacks, listings etc and restart again from scratch.  I have 20,000 listings and will not be starting again.

We also sell on amazon.com with the same set up, amazon every year makes us complete a tax form (W-88BEN) which satisfies the IRS.... Ebay should be able to do this as well so that we can continue selling.

Is there a different dept I can speak with?  It says I must upload these documents by today... I'm running out of time to get this resolved before my listings are deactivated again.  

Any advice appreciated, 

Shelly

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

tyler@ebay are you in today and are you able to look into this?

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

Tyler is not always fast. He prefers to be accurate.

The reps over the phone

Don't talk on the phone. Those reps are undertrained sub-contractors. You want an eBay employee.

https://twitter.com/askebay
https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

These guys are eBay employees and give solid advice.

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

What an absolute joke that Canadian sellers are still having to deal with this nonsense.

The only sure way to deal with this is to request a managed payments supervisor, refuse to get off the phone until one is available, and then MAKE them take ownership of getting things fixed.

Ebay North America needs to get their collective **bleep** together. Inexcusable at this point.

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

Hi @nosejewels - I appreciate the time you've taken to really spell out what you've been told so many times (it's very helpful). 

I am not able to provide account specific support of this nature, but I am using your posts to escalate upwards. 

As I hear back (or if I do) I will make sure to update you on this thread. I'll tag you to make sure you get the notification. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 36
latest reply

tractorfix
Community Member

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I have yet to hear anyone except talking heads from ebay say anything positive about the new system. Ever since they forced us off of paypal and into this new management system its been a disaster. It is very over complicated and confusing. before, I would open my paypal, do all my shipping see what was coming in and going out and keep a running tab. Now its a gong show of emails and logging in and out of bank accounts. I'm very close to throwing in the towel and finding some other way to get rid of things i don't want. I am a very **bleep** off seller. I've been on here for 20 years and I've just about had it with them.

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

Hi Shelly,

I have the same problem as you do.

I live in Ontario.

Years ago, I had no other choice than to choose for listings eBay.COM, because I wanted so that my prospective customers knew that my items are warehoused in the USA and shipped out with USPS, and they would get them fast.

I tried to list them on eBay.CA, but in that case, the eBay system always showed items' location on the Canadian side and I could not hook my shipments with USPS, and I was not able to overcome those issues.

IF SOMEBODY KNOWS HOW TO OVERCOME THEM IN 2021, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

Now, here are my steps for staying with eBay.COM:

1. Get mailing address in the USA;

2. Get a bank account in the USA linked with the above address;

3. Get ITIN number for non-US citizens, and use it on eBay instead of Social Security Number (SSN).

IF SOMEBODY HAS BETTER IDEAS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

Best wishes to everyone!

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

Unfortunately I have escalated through supervisors a few times, all of which have told me the only solution is to cancel my account and start again. 😞 

Things definitely need to change!

Message 15 of 36
latest reply

We definitely sound like we have similar situations. 

Have you had your business documents approved? Are you successfully using manage payments?

The problem is that i DO have a USA address on my account, and a USA bank account... but ebay wants my canadian address on there instead so they can verify my canadian business documents.  However I have been told once you switch to manage payments, there is no way to change the country in your address.

(i actually do have my canadian address on there as well, but the usa one is in the place where they want the canadian one, with no way to switch it.)

It's all so silly!

Message 16 of 36
latest reply

This is BEYOND frustrating. All of our listings are slowly being deactivated today by ebay.

We had 22,000, we are down to 8,000 now. 

Yesterday was our last day to be verified with manage payments, which they didn't verify our business documents because we are canadian.

....so long ebay.

This isn't how you treat your loyal sellers of 18+ years

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

I appreciate this is frustrating for you, but this process is pretty well automated so there's probably no way to get the toothpaste back into the tube.  It's not a human being who's dismantling your listings, it's a computer routine.

Message 18 of 36
latest reply

Yes, but there is a human being, or a team of them in ebay who are making decisions like the one that they have made here in our case where we are unable to change our address to reflect our registration address which has resulted in our listings being deactivated today. And of course no way to reach these humans.

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

A human being named Tyler has forwarded your issue to the appropriate team.  It's unfortunate that this happened late in the game, but it is what it is, I'm afraid.

Message 20 of 36
latest reply