Managed Payments come to Canada

It's official Managed Payments will be arriving in Canada "later this year".

Personally I'm not too concerned.

Official announcement here:

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-continues-to-expand-its-management-of-payments-to-australi...

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

marnotom!
Community Member

Maybe this development will mollify those with concerns over how eBay and PayPal are handling the charging of fees on sales involving internet sales taxes.

Message 2 of 55
latest reply

The non-refundable service charge on MP is a nickel less than that of Paypal.

And I believe the percentage fee is also slightly less.

But Managed Payments make up for it by charging a percentage on every purchase, while PP charges on every transaction, no matter how many purchases are in the transaction.

Since fees on Internet Sales Tax pass-throughs are still well under $10 since last November for me, my plan is to ignore MP as long as possible.

Image result for ebay managed payments fees
eBay Managed Payments Fees to include $0.25 per transaction fee.
eBay will be adding a $0.25 fee per listing payments fee in addition to the percentage fee (currently 2.75%) charged for processing the payment.
May 23, 2019

Message 3 of 55
latest reply

I'm with femme, I'm ignoring this as long as I can!

(I've survived a number of other similar events/changes in the last 20 years, they all seemed a lot worse than they turned out to be)

Message 4 of 55
latest reply

@recped wrote:

It's official Managed Payments will be arriving in Canada "later this year".

They are grabbing money at the back end - why not grab more at the front end as well.

"Managed Payments" - please - it's just another credit grab.

What it really means is "additional debt" - oh ya the world really needs that now.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 5 of 55
latest reply

I have moved all 1500 or so of my listings to another site in preparation for leaving eBay when MP is forced upon me. I don't have that much confidence in nor that much trust in eBay that will entice me to join MP.

Message 6 of 55
latest reply

Exactly, I will opt out, not try, decline any invites from eBay until the very last moment, I will wait to see the fiasco that it unleashes as everything eBay launches include "migraines" for all Sellers!

I think Sellers are fed up being treated like eggs and getting...

Message 7 of 55
latest reply

@rosscd57 wrote:

They are grabbing money at the back end - why not grab more at the front end as well.

"Managed Payments" - please - it's just another credit grab.

No.  This really is just an ebay money grab at the expense of PayPal.

Most (but not all) sellers will see little difference to their profit/loss on selling.

However, like most things announced as coming to ebay.CA ... I will be expecting something a lot longer in arriving ... so perhaps in 2021.

-..-

Message 9 of 55
latest reply

"will be adding a $0.25 fee per listing payments fee ". Big, big problem.
Also, Canadian Banks charge $ 15.00 for each transaction in transfer fee, from abroad banks.
I agree with femme-recarmic: I'm ignoring this as long as I can!
Message 10 of 55
latest reply

wow. all my items sell for approx. 0.99.   customers buy many at a time on one invoice.  so if a customer purchased 20 covers I will be charged $5.25 fee + 2.75%. ???  

Message 11 of 55
latest reply

I will be the same ignoring till I have do and then I will be gone. Pay Pal may not be perfect but the buyers trust it and with E-Bay's track record I really don't want them to be involved with my money.

Message 12 of 55
latest reply

Yes...., and also +_  $ 15.00 fees charging by  Canada banks for each bank transfer from Ayden to your Canadian bank account.

Message 13 of 55
latest reply

@apmtrade wrote:

.... also +_  $ 15.00 fees charging by  Canada banks for each bank transfer from Ayden to your Canadian bank account.

And where are you seeing this information?

-.-

Message 14 of 55
latest reply

To be prepared for the upcoming Can. managed payment, I had a meeting with my bank where also the head office was involved. Result ." incoming wires fee.." = $ 15.00

The different bank fees for " Incoming wires"  +_ $ 15.00. 

When I regularly transfer money from Europe to my Canadian Bank account,  I pay for each transaction $ 15.00 in fee. 

Message 15 of 55
latest reply

If eBay would offer us the option to transfer money to our PayPal account, we will be able to transfer from our PayPal account to our bank without the high bank fee. 

Message 16 of 55
latest reply

Its adding the rules and restrictions of a 3rd party processor to the mix... ie/ coin sellers are out.

Sellers (USA) enrolled in managed payments are not allowed to list the following items:

• Adult only items, including movies and video games
  • Airline, rail, and cruise tickets
  • Auction services
  • Bullion
  • Coins & paper money
  • Event tickets
  • Gift cards & coupons
  • Lodging, timeshares, vacation packages, and car rentals
  • Memberships for campground and RV parks
  • Motor vehicles
  • Wine
Message 17 of 55
latest reply

What does transferring money from Europe have to do with Managed Payments on eBay.CA ?

-..-

Message 18 of 55
latest reply

If the deal is ebay straight to bank account* then I am out and will be seeking ebay alternatives. (Somewhat not related to this but I am on the lookout for paypal alternatives, my point being is I really need an 'online place' for my online transactions. ebay straight to bank is 100% not happening for me cause my bank account is only indirectly part of my online things)

* even if fees work out to same as what is now via paypal

Message 19 of 55
latest reply

@apmtrade wrote:

To be prepared for the upcoming Can. managed payment, I had a meeting with my bank where also the head office was involved. Result ." incoming wires fee.." = $ 15.00

The different bank fees for " Incoming wires"  +_ $ 15.00. 

When I regularly transfer money from Europe to my Canadian Bank account,  I pay for each transaction $ 15.00 in fee. 

Managed Payments WILL NOT be sending "wire transfers" to Canadian sellers. I don't know where you got this idea but it's not at all true.

They will use Direct Deposit just like your employer or the Governnent of Canada. If you have a business account with monthly activity fees at your bank the deposit MAY count towards your quota of included basic transaction counts but if you go over you may have to pay for the overage, these fees range from a few cents up to 25 - 50 cents per transaction.

If you do have a business account which charges by the transaction you would be paying the exact same fees as you do now when you withdraw money from PayPal and have it deposited in your bank account.

Perhaps you are not aware, Adyen, the company that runs the backend of Managed Payments has been established in Canada for many years and have full access to the clearing systems used by Canadian banks.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 20 of 55
latest reply