New Shipping Discounts with eBay Labels

Saw this email this morning, thought I'd share it if anyone may be interested and didn't get the email, decent discount:

Upcoming rate changes for Canada Post shipping on eBay Labels

eBay Canada is updating the rates available to sellers printing Canada Post shipping through eBay Labels.

Previously, sellers using eBay Labels received Canada Post rates equivalent to the Solution for Small Business Level 1 discounts. Beginning April 27, all Canada Post shipping rates purchased on eBay Labels will be equivalent to Solution for Small Business Level 4 discounts.

These new rates are automatically applied to all sellers purchasing through eBay Labels

See an overview of select services with their new discounts below. Click here for a comprehensive overview of the new rates for all Canada Post services.

Service Previous Discounts Discounts starting April 27

Domestic Expedited Parcel

Up to 11%

Up to 32%

Tracked Packet to US

Up to 40%

Up to 43%

Expedited Parcel to US

Up to 11%

Up to 20%

Tracked Packet International

Up to 45%

Up to 53%

Xpresspost International

Up to 45%

Up to 53%

Discounts vary based on the location of both buyer and seller. Tax and fuel surcharges may apply.

Message 1 of 100
latest reply
99 REPLIES 99

Re: New Shipping Discounts with eBay Labels

@flipistics wrote:

I'd really like to see an option not to safe drop. Does anyone know if writing it in on the label would be honored since it's a free option?

You can write it on the label or the box if you want, but the letter carrier is under no obligation to follow the instructions.

When it's actually added as a proper feature on the label then when the carrier goes to scan the package as out for delivery it will actually give them a notice on their handheld computer that it can't be safe dropped. So in a scenario in which you just wrote it on the box/label you have to 1) hope they even see your writing, and 2) if they do see it, hope that they're kind enough to act on it (since it's actually more work to card the item and bring it back to the depot than it would be to just mark it as 'Delivered' and leave it on the doorstep).

For this reason, and others that people have mentioned, I'm hoping that Shippo absorbs these discounts as well so we can utilize the full functionality of the shipping labels. Or eBay adds more options to the current Labels system. Currently it's pretty much useless for most non-US International orders considering there isn't even a space to put a Tax ID number.

Message 61 of 100
latest reply

Has anyone processed a shipment today and received the NEW level 4 discount using Shippo? I wonder if to get that discount it needs to be tied to a specific CP account number similar to eBay Labels.

-Lotz

Message 62 of 100
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Has anyone processed a shipment today and received the NEW level 4 discount using Shippo? I wonder if to get that discount it needs to be tied to a specific CP account number similar to eBay Labels.

-Lotz

I verified just now - Shippo did not yet adjust. 

Image1.jpg

Message 63 of 100
latest reply

I checked shippo, just shows my level 3 discount. I am still using my own account over ebay labels as I would like to try and grow my own account to level 4 (got to level 3 in 8months) so I have hope lol. I would like to be in control if anything goes wrong with a delivery and not need to run through ebay for it to be fixed.

Message 64 of 100
latest reply

@regs43 wrote:

I would like to be in control if anything goes wrong with a delivery and not need to run through ebay for it to be fixed.

Shippo or Ebay, you get exactly the same Canada Post shipping label - except the Ebay's one is cheaper. 

Message 65 of 100
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

@regs43 wrote:

I would like to be in control if anything goes wrong with a delivery and not need to run through ebay for it to be fixed.

Shippo or Ebay, you get exactly the same Canada Post shipping label - except the Ebay's one is cheaper. 

I use snapship on the Canada Post site most of the time. I use shippo for the odd time when I go to the USA and drop mail there as I can get a discounted rate for USPS postage vs at the counter, but I do have my Canada Post account linked as well.

If you use Ebay labels, its ebays account not your own, and if you need to make a claim with Canada Post for a lost parcel etc, the refund would go to ebay and not you directly. Shippo your account is linked to it same as snapship. That is my understanding.

Message 66 of 100
latest reply

-Lotz

Quite strange that Shippo did not adjust, since it's  eBay Canada’s official third-party label printing solution.

Image4.jpg

https://www.ebay.ca/sellercentre/shipping/shippo-labels

Message 67 of 100
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

-Lotz

Quite strange that Shippo did not adjust, since it's  eBay Canada’s official third-party label printing solution.

Image4.jpg

Figured that was what  was going on. Some kind of opting in to have access to the new maximum Level 4 discount. They just forgot to pass that on to us. Similar to eBay Labels CP account attached to eBay. Last message I got from my contact at Shipo was a request for the comparison of the 2 rates. (eBay/Shippo). What you determined I expect to hear back in the am to confirm the same. Hopefully with this way of doing things this will cause no issues for claims etc going forward, seeing as Shippo will the account on record vs the seller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=452XjnaHr1A

-Lotz

-Lotz

Message 68 of 100
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

-Lotz

Image4.jpg

Figured that was what  was going on. Some kind of opting in to have access to the new maximum Level 4 discount. They just forgot to pass that on to us. Similar to eBay Labels CP account attached to eBay. Last message I got from my contact at Shipo was a request for the comparison of the 2 rates. (eBay/Shippo). What you determined I expect to hear back in the am to confirm the same. Hopefully with this way of doing things this will cause no issues for claims etc going forward, seeing as Shippo will the account on record vs the seller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=452XjnaHr1A

-Lotz

As a side note the following disclaimer has been visible for the past few months on Shippo.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1682751740758.png

Most likely this "special" account has been in the works for awhile. We just didn't have access to it until it went live.

-Lotz 

Message 69 of 100
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies 

Pehaps I am just missing something but how does that link about Shippo on eBay seller central say that Shippo will be the account holder on record and not the seller?    To me, the information on there sounds like the info for the program we have had through Shippo for years.

To me, this statement says that we will still retain on our oaccounts...

Before you can print your first Shippo label, you’ll need to associate your Shippo account with a carrier account such as Canada Post, FedEx, or UPS.

Message 70 of 100
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies 

Pehaps I am just missing something but how does that link about Shippo on eBay seller central say that Shippo will be the account holder on record and not the seller?    To me, the information on there sounds like the info for the program we have had through Shippo for years.

To me, this statement says that we will still retain on our oaccounts...

Before you can print your first Shippo label, you’ll need to associate your Shippo account with a carrier account such as Canada Post, FedEx, or UPS.

@pjcdn2005 

@dinomitesales 

I'm not sure where that link was discovered but as per Shippo staff the new rate level 4 rate was supposed to be activated on the 27th. That did not happen. The rate actually kicked in on eBay labels a few days early. Shippo is still showing my linked level 1 rate that I connected approx 5 years ago. Shippo asked me for a current comparison of the 2 rates showing which I have provided. Waiting for follow up from them. Any seller that has been using Shippo was able link their own CP account with their discount level when they enrolled originally. The only way to override that would be having a different account number to connect. For anyone that is lucky enough to qualify for level 4 they are best off to keep using their linked CP account.

-Lotz

As a side concern there still has been no way for sellers using a level 4 rate to show buyers that is what is in play. There is the eBay tool that sellers can use but buyers do not have access. If a buyer does not know of a possible discount for shipping when they check an item most likely they will go elsewhere. (Note. The discounts vary substantially between services. A 1 size fits all discount rate by the seller is not an option for any seller wanted to offer multiple services)

Message 71 of 100
latest reply

As a side concern there still has been no way for sellers using a level 4 rate to show buyers that is what is in play. There is the eBay tool that sellers can use but buyers do not have access. If a buyer does not know of a possible discount for shipping when they check an item most likely they will go elsewhere. (Note. The discounts vary substantially between services. A 1 size fits all discount rate by the seller is not an option for any seller wanted to offer multiple services)

...which is precisely what keeps me away from these middleware label services. By design, you must rely on these apps to sync smoothly with both eBay's front end and Canada Post's back end. And that always begs Murphy's Law...

Message 72 of 100
latest reply

@doc_scribe wrote:

...which is precisely what keeps me away from these middleware label services. By design, you must rely on these apps to sync smoothly with both eBay's front end and Canada Post's back end. And that always begs Murphy's Law...

@doc_scribe 

Their (Shippo's) customer service, from my experience has always been very smooth sailing. If they didn't have an answer they got back to me with 1 in a timely manner. There were no issues connecting my account/resets. Any billing problems were handled quickly with no double speak. As far as I know eBay Labels has no dedicated customer support. Refunds can take 1.5 to 2 times longer. They were never able to connect our CP account to the service when it was suggested as a preference from day 1. Billing with Shippo can be once weekly or when you reach 100.oo which works fine for me and most. And there are multiple options for being billed. CP only method is CC.

-Lotz

Message 73 of 100
latest reply

To be honest, I was surprised at comments earlier in this thread suggesting Shippo would be receiving the discount; that seems to go against the way they work. Shippo is just acting as a label creation passthrough (if you will) between yourself and Canada Post since the label is still being purchased using your own Canada Post account number and billing details. With eBay Labels you're printing the label via a distinct Canada Post account owned by eBay (I assume, anyway) that has a Level 4 discount. With the way Shippo is currently set up, there's no way for them to just magically give everyone Level 4 discounts; they would have to somehow allow you to print shipping labels through eBay's Canada Post account number.

If I had to take a guess, I would assume this negotiation/agreement between eBay Labels and Canada Post occurred entirely independent of Shippo, and any Shippo representative you're speaking too is probably confused about the whole situation. Yes "Shippo is eBay Canada's official third-party label-printing solution", but remember that 'Shippo-eBayCanada' integration was around before eBay Labels ever became a thing in Canada. Now that they have 'eBay Labels Canada' I can't imagine eBay has much of a reason to continue any business relationship with Shippo. But who knows.

Message 74 of 100
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

To be honest, I was surprised at comments earlier in this thread suggesting Shippo would be receiving the discount; that seems to go against the way they work. Shippo is just acting as a label creation passthrough (if you will) between yourself and Canada Post since the label is still being purchased using your own Canada Post account number and billing details. With eBay Labels you're printing the label via a distinct Canada Post account owned by eBay (I assume, anyway) that has a Level 4 discount. With the way Shippo is currently set up, there's no way for them to just magically give everyone Level 4 discounts; they would have to somehow allow you to print shipping labels through eBay's Canada Post account number.

If I had to take a guess, I would assume this negotiation/agreement between eBay Labels and Canada Post occurred entirely independent of Shippo, and any Shippo representative you're speaking too is probably confused about the whole situation. Yes "Shippo is eBay Canada's official third-party label-printing solution", but remember that 'Shippo-eBayCanada' integration was around before eBay Labels ever became a thing in Canada. Now that they have 'eBay Labels Canada' I can't imagine eBay has much of a reason to continue any business relationship with Shippo. But who knows.

@dinomitesales 

There have been at least 2 of us that have received the confirmation of Shippo offering level 4. This would need to be confirm through proper channels before making this assurance. From a Shippo perspective, if they are unable to offer/match those rates any current sellers using Shippo would most likely, pardon the pun, jump Ship-po very quickly!!!

Shippo has also offered users UPS and Fedex special rates in the recent past. The only issue is the discount that is offered is not attached to eBay's calculator. Something buyers need to know before they purchase. Not after the fact. If you already have an account there are a multitude of carriers available that could be linked via Shippo.

https://goshippo.com/carriers/

https://goshippo.com/blog/shippos-new-discounted-fedex-shipping-rates-explained/

(US Shippo link but there is separate deal for Canadian customers)

-Lotz

See Post 47 response from Shippo. Note: "Our shipping team."

Message 75 of 100
latest reply

From a Shippo perspective, if they are unable to offer/match those rates any current sellers using Shippo would most likely, pardon the pun, jump Ship-po very quickly!!!

drums.gif

He'll be here all week folks. And please, try the fish.  🙂

Message 76 of 100
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

@doc_scribe wrote:

Are we certain that the over the counter SFSB discount hasn't changed as well?

On Friday I had a U.S. Tracked Packet with a couple of booklets of stamps that I had priced out in me wee old noggin as approximately $45 with Fuel Surcharge + GST. And then, my receipt showed this:

Where else could that SFSB savings of $7.24 on a $45.00 purchase have come from? It certainly wasn't the stamps...

The savings you're seeing at retail (over the counter) are from an update about a month ago. Previously, Canada Post had a separate "Level 1" savings depending on whether you purchased your labels online or at the post office (the online one was always greater). But about a month back they just merged the two, so now evereyone with a SFSB account is getting the Level 1 Online discount, which is why you're seeing an increased discount at the counter.

Level 1 discount is still the highest discount you can get at the post office counter though, so if you want these new Level 4 discounts you'll have to purchase your postage online through eBay (or online through Canada Post SnapShip/EST if you spend more than $7500 annually on postage).

Well, it happened again  @dinomitesales ... a U.S. Tracked Packet to AR starting at $17.70 CAD, just closed at $11.79 (including the Fuel Surcharge).

2023-05-01-CP-Discount.jpg

That's upwards of $5.00 CAD savings over-the-counter with only my SFSB card. Whether Level 1 or Level 4, it's still a healthy discount without the need for another middleware label app.

Looks like I have some International Shipping rates to update...

Message 77 of 100
latest reply

Here are two labels to Norway (250g). Definitely, Shippo decided not to adjust at all - so ... bye, bye, Shippo! 

Image8.jpg

Message 78 of 100
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

Here are two labels to Norway (250g). Definitely, Shippo decided not to adjust at all - so ... bye, bye, Shippo! 

Image8.jpg

@38e_avenue 

The recurring word I keep getting from Shippo is they are looking into it. They've been looking into it since April 27th.

I processed a parcel to N. Ab earlier today. Rate with Shippo would be 20.87 by Expedited Level 1. The rate with eBay labels was 16.00 by Xpresspost or 15.92 by Expedited. Upgraded for the massive 8 cent difference. The only real differences between the 2 options in Shippo's favour are instant billing with a receipt, a better customs form for Internationally shipping + the option to buy more insurance if you require above listed value. (You can throw in timely customer service...Usually.)

I have also noticed if you go with eBay Labels it is slightly more difficult to access recent Shippo shipments if you need to compare anything. In the past if you created a shipment with Shippo you could go to the order details and get directly to Shippo. Now that option is MIA.

-Lotz

Message 79 of 100
latest reply

A new try this morning: Italy, 150 g. (untracked). 

Image1.jpg

track.jpg

Message 80 of 100
latest reply