Not allowed to cancel an order!?

I went to cancel an order and ebay request me to add a credit card because i do not have the funds available on the platform. Is this a new thing? How this make any sense while they literally have access to my bank account with managed payments? I cannot cancel my buyer's order now. What the heck 

Capture - Copy (3).PNG

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: Not allowed to cancel an order!?

Yes, between your eBay account and your specific bank account, both registered under your identity, so maybe you should contact your bank to see if there are "Identity" issues.

As I said this is not a site issue because it seems specific to you, as no other people are having this specific issue, and it seems like a very specific issue indeed.

Message 41 of 61
latest reply

Maybe if they require a credit card, maybe one of them pre paid ones would work? Worst case it doesnt work you can just spend the funds yourself elsewhere

Message 42 of 61
latest reply

@regs43 wrote:

Maybe if they require a credit card, maybe one of them pre paid ones would work? Worst case it doesnt work you can just spend the funds yourself elsewhere

He could probably also get a basic credit card with a $250 or $500 limit and just use it for this purpose.  Personally, I'd be calling the bank and finding out what's going on. Heck, go in and talk to a manager in person. Don't leave until they sort it out.

Message 43 of 61
latest reply

I have to agree this sounds like an issue with the OP and their Bank.

And as you said, I also would be down to my bank ASAP to sort this out. This is not a site issue it's a specific issue to the OP.

Message 44 of 61
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

I have to agree this sounds like an issue with the OP and their Bank.

And as you said, I also would be down to my bank ASAP to sort this out. This is not a site issue it's a specific issue to the OP.

My big take away for this situation overall is how long it takes to confirm if something is at eBay's end or users. The involved parties blaming someone else is of limited use. From buyer/sellers perspective they have a problem. They want a solution and they are under the gun to get a resolution. eBay's time meter is eBay's time meter. Consider the length of time MP has been up and running and the number of reported problems there should be a glossary of ways to solve. As personal observations the most important thing to mention for a ca user is that they are in Canada. That's first and formost and both for eBay CS/Facebook/Twitter. Anything complicated the bots are useless.

From a recent personal experience in trying to send a secondary small refund to a buyer that is NOT possible. You only have 1 kick at the cat and this info is not findable ANYWHERE on ebay. Would be definitely good to know!!! As for the why, anybodies guess. Just like rebilling a customer after a refund when it is required. Major huh???

-Lotz

Message 45 of 61
latest reply

"From a recent personal experience in trying to send a secondary small refund to a buyer that is NOT possible. You only have 1 kick at the cat and this info is not findable ANYWHERE on ebay. Would be definitely good to know!!! As for the why, anybodies guess."

Why?

Money Laundering, is also why you have to select the "reason" for the refund(s).

It's why when I issue combined shipping refunds I do it after the items are shipped and I know the exact amounts to refund because you only get one shot.

An option for rebilling would be a good idea, but I doubt we will ever see that...

Message 46 of 61
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Probably has nothing to do with the price of beans, but I see Desjardins being referred to as a bank on this thread but it's actually a caisse populaire, or credit union.  It is a large operation within Quebec and does have some presence in Ontario, but on a national basis it isn't as large as any of the big five banks and may have some internal operating systems or procedures that differ from the big banks.

Message 47 of 61
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

Probably has nothing to do with the price of beans, but I see Desjardins being referred to as a bank on this thread but it's actually a caisse populaire, or credit union.  It is a large operation within Quebec and does have some presence in Ontario, but on a national basis it isn't as large as any of the big five banks and may have some internal operating systems or procedures that differ from the big banks.

@marnotom! 

It's been so long since I set up MP I can't really remember how it worked. Did a step at a time and crossed fingers. When you get to the step to fill in the banking part does it give you a list of approved banks or do you fill in your bank details and then hope it works. From my general help searching there is nowhere that I could find in ca help for actual list of APPROVED banks. Instead it appears more like a cart before the horse type situation. And through time of MP have banks either been added or dropped? This would be good info to know for both established and joining sellers.

-Lotz

As a side when enrolling in PayPal you got the test micro deposits. Not a problem there. Worked like a charm. When I enrolled in MP it wasn't even available. Something they have seem to have added "randomly" . Very hit or miss. The thought of selling and then risking issues in getting paid could be extremely frighting for anyone planning on taking this leap of faith. 

Message 48 of 61
latest reply

When you get to the step to fill in the banking part does it give you a list of approved banks or do you fill in your bank details and then hope it works.

They show you banks at first there is a few mains. If you don't see your bank you can click on 'others' and then you got a bigger list. And if you don't see there again you can click on 'bank is not there' and then you enter your checking infos manually. Desjardins is on the main page and into the section most popular

Message 49 of 61
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

When you get to the step to fill in the banking part does it give you a list of approved banks or do you fill in your bank details and then hope it works.

They show you banks at first there is a few mains. If you don't see your bank you can click on 'others' and then you got a bigger list. And if you don't see there again you can click on 'bank is not there' and then you enter your checking infos manually. Desjardins is on the main page and into the section most popular

@rocketscollectibles 

There was a stream of neverending tinkering at the beginning. So difficult to know what is still going on behind the scenes that causes a straight forward enrollment or 1 where everything under the sun can go wrong. All I do know now is that there are still reports of sellers having major issues during the application process. 

-Lotz

Message 50 of 61
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies "All I do know now is that there are still reports of sellers having major issues during the application process."

Some of the issues have to do with names and spelling not matching exactly with both accounts. 

I have an example of that, here in Quebec on our Health Card they will not use ' in a name like O'Neil it will be O NEIL

So when I registered at the Hospital to get my hospital card they did it with a ' like O'Neil when they wanted to scan my cards they would not work and no one could figure out why until it dawned on someone about the ' it took months to realize what was happening & one min to fix.

It's like people with 3 names like Jean-Francois Something it can also be Jean Francois Something just that can trigger a code red in the world of banking...

Message 51 of 61
latest reply

@brettjet38 Shouldn't eBay have clued in to these potential problems and how to resolve....by now? As per your " ' " example, use and you get an error message. MP was introduced in 2018.

Message 52 of 61
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@brettjet38 Shouldn't eBay have clued in to these potential problems and how to resolve....by now? As per your " ' " example, use and you get an error message. MP was introduced in 2018.

Logically yes, but how long have you been on eBay, I came here in the late 90s and some of those bugs are still in the system unresolved somewhere lost in the...

And remember one can barely get an answer to a simple question from a human on eBay since the bots invaded, and the workers are shall we say the "disposable" kind. So corporate longevity. loyalty and experience are not high on the resource list.

I will be curious to see exactly what the cause of the OPs issue is when it finally gets resolved.

Message 53 of 61
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

Desjardins no longer has a "banking" presence in Ontario (Desjardins Insurance excepted). Years ago (20?) they bought the Province Of Ontario Savings Office, operated it for a few years and then sold it off to Meridian CU. That was the end of their banking activities outside of Quebec.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 54 of 61
latest reply

So update. I had the good idea of changing my bank account to my previous one that i still have active. To be able to at least do my refund while i try to figure out the issue with my new one. Well, same thing. They do not allow to refund without a credit card. 

- This is not my bank (tried two bank accounts - one i used for 3 years no issue - new bank account was also working 2 weeks ago)
- This is not my ebay account (tried two accounts) 

Troubleshooting, the issue seems to come from ebay.

Could someone facing the actual situation share what happen on its side?
Anyone without funds on ebay to cover an order could test by clicking on cancel the order and see at the refund review step if he's asked a credit card

Capture.PNG

Maybe it's just like that and always been. And we can't refund by ourself with bank account when without funds on ebay. I'm truly confused. 

Message 55 of 61
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Back in the early stages of this thread, @recped asked if you were on daily or weekly payouts.  I'm wondering if the credit card option is necessary because you've opted for daily payouts, which could mean that in theory there are times when you're not going to have funds available for a full refund.

Message 56 of 61
latest reply

Payouts schedule doesnt change anything about the restriction. Turned to monthly few days ago actually 

I truly start thinking that it's just like that. That we cannot send a refund with bank account. And just never faced this situation before because i always had enough funds available on ebay 

Edit:

Tested with my main selling account w/ funds available, credit card option disapear. If someone could test not having the funds available to cover the order to see if they are force to add credit card too. You don't have to cancel your order, you just need to reach the review refund step. We would have the answer!

Capture2.PNG

Message 57 of 61
latest reply

I have never had this issue when I issue a refund, even if I have no funds on eBay. They simply stated that they would take it from my bank account in a few days like my postal shipping labels, and never asked for a Credit Card.

And as Devon mentioned previously...

Hi @rocketscollectibles! There are a few variables that go into us requesting a credit card to be able to refund/cancel an order but they are all account specific information that I would not be able to share here on Community. 

This sounds like an account-specific issue, it's a security measure, not a bug, or an error.

This is one of those "Variables" ...

"Variables" an element, feature, or factor that is liable to vary or change.

And, they do NOT apply to ALL accounts they are variables and are "account specific" The fact that no eBay employee is saying that other than Devon, kinda of tells you what the situation is...

It could be based on the number of issues an account holder has, it could be the activities of an account holder, it could be based on the number of claims the Seller has had on their account, all account-specific issues...

Message 58 of 61
latest reply

I talked with dedicated support myself and they said it was a bank issue. They said nothing wrong with my account. I also tested 2 ebay account. I changed bank account and issue stayed. Everyone is clueless. 

We all heard you. You think i'm an evil seller and i'm restricted. But i have flawless ratings. You just repeat yourself. Can you stop stealing thread visibility now. Thank you for your understanding. 

Message 59 of 61
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

I talked with dedicated support myself and they said it was a bank issue. They said nothing wrong with my account. I also tested 2 ebay account. I changed bank account and issue stayed. Everyone is clueless. 

We all heard you. You think i'm an evil seller and i'm restricted. But i have flawless ratings. You just repeat yourself. Can you stop stealing thread visibility now. Thank you for your understanding. 

I'm betting if you talked to the bank, they'd tell you it wasn't a bank issue but was an eBay issue. It's fun watching how that seems to work (when it isn't you going through it).

Who knows what reasons eBay may have, but I'm sure ratings are only a small portion of what they use for various determinations.  It could be something as simple as a policy change to personal seller accounts requiring 2 forms of payment and business accounts requiring only one, for example. Maybe some types of bank accounts are being used heavily by people committing fraud, and eBay is requiring additional payment methods for anyone using those types of accounts to protect themselves. I doubt it's something specific to you, but I also don't think it's widespread or there would be scores of people in here complaining.

Regardless, unless you have no credit at all, I'd suggest just getting a $500 limit credit card or something specifically for that purpose (assuming you don't want to use any you currently have).  Getting strikes on your account over this and spending endless hours on the phone seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth, especially since there's almost no chance of the outcome changing.

Message 60 of 61
latest reply