Opinions on "Condition Description"

I'm looking for opinions on Condition Description, the little 1000-character-limit text box that shows up underneath the Condition.

I've only used it sparingly, mainly to guide the buyer to the Item Description itself as I prefer to keep my listings simple and put all of the relevant item information in the Item Description. Many people shop on a mobile device nowadays, and accessing the Item Description requires an extra click that some (many?) may not make.

On a mobile device, the Seller Notes (as it's referred as in the actual listing) show closer to the top of the listing, and it shows up to about 80 characters with a Read More link if it's longer. Do you think a buyer is more likely to read the Seller Notes, since they can already see some (or all) of it, rather than finding the link to the Item Description lower in the listing?

I've been checking out some listings of some board mainstays and usage seems to be mixed. I'm hoping to get some opinions from both users who do and do not utilize the Condition Description, and the reasons for your choices.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

I stick with a few words, usually repeating the Grade and condition from my description.

Still trying to figure out the new iPhone so I can barely see my own listings. I'm older than Bill Gates.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

I don't really use Seller Notes (although I should) I just have "see below". Since my clientele is older I believe most of them (not all) are using a desktop computer when searching and purchasing on eBay (as I do).

Sellers that have a younger clientele should focus more on the Seller Notes rather then the Main Description since more of their buyers are using a mobile device rather then a desktop computer.

I have some competitors that utilize the Seller Notes more then the Main Description, so who knows..... using both would probably be best. . 

Mobile devices are the future of on-line shopping, but my lack of utilizing Seller Notes hasn't affected me as a Seller with a 5 out of 5 DSR for Item as Described   

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Yes, I use it. 

For example:

On a book I might state - "good condition - previous owner's name on 1st page - 1/2 inch tear on page 45 - see photos"

On a piece of silver - "good vintage condition - light tarnish - few dents - see photos"

I don't go into a lot of detail, just state something that might be a concern - on a mobile device this info can be seen easily.

I think it depends on what you sell but if you can describe any serious issues in Condition Description, (in case a person doesn't bother to read the description)  it may save you a headache later on when the person receives the item.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

@thestuffofchris wrote:

I'm looking for opinions on Condition Description, the little 1000-character-limit text box that shows up underneath the Condition.

I've only used it sparingly, mainly to guide the buyer to the Item Description itself as I prefer to keep my listings simple and put all of the relevant item information in the Item Description. Many people shop on a mobile device nowadays, and accessing the Item Description requires an extra click that some (many?) may not make.

On a mobile device, the Seller Notes (as it's referred as in the actual listing) show closer to the top of the listing, and it shows up to about 80 characters with a Read More link if it's longer. Do you think a buyer is more likely to read the Seller Notes, since they can already see some (or all) of it, rather than finding the link to the Item Description lower in the listing?

I've been checking out some listings of some board mainstays and usage seems to be mixed. I'm hoping to get some opinions from both users who do and do not utilize the Condition Description, and the reasons for your choices.

Thanks!

My opinion.....It's there for a reason, it's important to use it! ALWAYS (when applicable).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

I think it's an excellent feature.   I'm slowly adding it to my listings.

It should be forcing sellers to describe damage up front and centre rather than burying those important details in the description, as many are wont to do.

It can be as short as "Excellent condition" or as long as there are issues to report.

Sometimes it makes sense just to point out that there is damage and then direct buyers to the description for the details.  Other times is makes sense to report as much as the space allows.

The number of characters used when reporting condition in that blurb will vary and be different for every item.

Whatever makes sense for that item.

In other words, don't let the way it's displayed on a device be your guide.  Let the item decide how much to report in that space.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I never use the 1,000 character description box.

The condition itself always says (for me):  "Condition is not applicable to this listing"

I guess I assumed the description didn't make sense to fill in if condition was not applicable.

I did try an experiment and put some wording in the 1,000 box and it did show up.

Generally what I would put in the condition, I'm already putting in the title. (That's what I noticed when I filled it out for the test one I adjusted).

I have been moving to maximize the amount of information in my titles and minimize the amount of information in the item description for some time now.

I will keep the condition box in mind going forward now that I know it actually shows up if I fill it in....

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Since I sell only New items which are factory-sealed, the Seller's Notes are of limited use to me. I have utilized them on two items, one of which is a factory-defect and the other where the box has noticeable damage. Otherwise, with 'brand new' things, the only point would be to use it as it's not allowed like to flog some portion of Terms and Conditions. Free Shipping! No Handling Fees!! Same-Day Dispatch!!! But that's not allowed.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Also: If you select New in my Category, it disappears so you have to pick Used to see it which is not correct for a factory-defect which is factory-sealed.

There should be a 'new with some damage' condition or something.

Lots of sellers sell opened minifigures for example under New which is incorrect, although the toys have never bene played with, they aren't factory-sealed which is the condition for a 'New' toy. Mine are new and factory-sealed. Those opened ones are supposed to be listed as Used. Even if they have never been used.

There needs to be some sort of middle ground between New and Used. Maybe New, Factory-Sealed and New, Never Used but Opened. Collectors do that. Open stuff to look at and admire on a shelf but not play with them. They'll look as good as new. But you might not get the box. If you're buying toys for your kids, you might not care about that box.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

MJW be careful what you wish for!

"Mint" in my world has become:

MNH  (Mint Never Hinged)

MH     (Mint Hinged)

MLH   (Mint Lightly Hinged)

MVLH (Mint Very Lightly Hinged)

MHH   (Mint Heavily hinged)

MNG   (Mint No Gum)

MDG   (Mint Disturbed Gum)

MR      (Mint regummed)

OG      (Original Gum which really means it is likely almost all gone, or disturbed or very hinged)

and there are probably more...

You might find yourself with:

NFS    (New Factory Sealed)

NBO   (New Box Opened)

NBS    (New box scratched)

NBHS (New Box heavily scratched)

NBD   (New box dented)

NBBD (New box badly dented)

NBF    (New box faded)

NBBF (New box badly faded)

NNB   (New no box)

NOB  (New original box AKA it is faded or scratched or dented or whatever) 

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Also: If you select New in my Category, it disappears so you have to pick Used to see it which is not correct for a factory-defect which is factory-sealed.

There should be a 'new with some damage' condition or something.

Lots of sellers sell opened minifigures for example under New which is incorrect, although the toys have never bene played with, they aren't factory-sealed which is the condition for a 'New' toy. Mine are new and factory-sealed. Those opened ones are supposed to be listed as Used. Even if they have never been used.

There needs to be some sort of middle ground between New and Used. Maybe New, Factory-Sealed and New, Never Used but Opened. Collectors do that. Open stuff to look at and admire on a shelf but not play with them. They'll look as good as new. But you might not get the box. If you're buying toys for your kids, you might not care about that box.

The Condition choices in the Drop Down list on the Sell form (Old tool and New) varies with the eBay Category. Here is a link on eBay.ca Canada to the various conditions by category.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/item-condition.html

When I check eBay.com USA site for the same link above, it appears to be the same I mention this because I always try to check both sites because the eBay.ca Help pages are often out of date or incorrect with old policies.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/item-condition.html

I forgot to mention there is an Item Condition Lookup Table here

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/sellingresources/itemconditionlookup.html

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/sellingresources/itemconditionlookup.html

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Opinions?   I certainly do. 

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

There needs to be some sort of middle ground between New and Used.

I really need this for sewing patterns.

Mine are vintage but uncut, unused and factory folded. (Sometimes the vintage is 2015, but ....)

The patterns are fine and dandy, but the packages are tatty, sometimes with the seamstress' intentions written on them ('Alma /shorter/ add lace')

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

There needs to be some sort of middle ground between New and Used.

I really need this for sewing patterns.

Mine are vintage but uncut, unused and factory folded. (Sometimes the vintage is 2015, but ....)

The patterns are fine and dandy, but the packages are tatty, sometimes with the seamstress' intentions written on them ('Alma /shorter/ add lace')

I agree with you femmefan, it is hard to know how to describe sewing patterns. If they are unused are the "new" even if the package is tatty. I see some sellers put them as used, if they are unused are describe them as new and mention the condition of the package.

The same applies to my needlework kits, some are completely unused, but the packages have been opened, are they New or Used? I usually put them as new and put "Package opened" in the description and condition. I never know if I am doing this correctly.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

If the packaging is damage it should be noted, otherwise as long as item marked as new is actually in new condition, the packaging field is correctly filled, and the item is free of defects I've found most buyers could care less about new vs used tagging (the category I sell in has sellers that use both due the product being sold without packaging typically. Of course this may vary by category. You probably don't want any additional field values being added at this type since ebay is using it to generate mobile item titles and there are already issues with how they are doing so. I would think hard about how you use it as you may negatively impact your sales.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

New toys can't be given a Condition Description. It's Used or New with nothing in between in that and any number of categories. So a new, factory-sealed toy with a dented package is new but would benefit from an area that allowed that new condition to be clarified. Right now, it can only be clarified in the title and Item Description.

It's not just Toys where this is the case.

It's an area that could be improved, in my opinion.
Message 16 of 20
latest reply

I've found most buyers could care less about new vs used tagging

Fortunately, seamstresses are quite happy to read the instructions and this carries over into other parts of their lives.

And they are flexible- does anyone actually follow the cutting diagrams?

Still there are other categories-- some toy buyers I suppose are collectors, some need the toy for the child, and some are buying gifts.

It's a quagmire.

All we can do is our best, and keep smiling through.

Politely.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

(This is the rest of that quote, btw)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ3k2xA1Wcw

Even when we want to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPRlHwwVIug

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
New toys can't be given a Condition Description. It's Used or New with nothing in between in that and any number of categories. So a new, factory-sealed toy with a dented package is new but would benefit from an area that allowed that new condition to be clarified. Right now, it can only be clarified in the title and Item Description.

It's not just Toys where this is the case.

It's an area that could be improved, in my opinion.

The relevant details can be put in the item description as you mention, but this of course means some people won't read that information, but that subset of buyers isn't going to read the information regardless of wherever you put it. I'm assuming this is more of an issue of discoverability vs disclaiming, ie in terms of directing the buyer to the seller with the "best" stock?

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

I mean the buyer should be able to easily find the type of stock that suits their need(s) and price preferences. If a parent wants a toy for their child that is new and still boxed (to rule out most counterfeits) but that parent doesn't actually care about the CONDITION of the box, they should be directed to that via filter options. Versus a collector whose box needs require top-marks for integrity. Sub-sections in the category.
Message 19 of 20
latest reply

I want to thank everyone for their opinions and perspectives. I'm still taking everything into consideration to decide the best course of action for me and my future listings, but I do appreciate your input nonetheless.
Message 20 of 20
latest reply